Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining German drivers licence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Obtaining German drivers licence Reply with quote

Hi,

anyone out there who can answer a question on getting a german drivers license.??

How does one do this.?? I know that germans to get there drivers license must sit many mandatory tests evewn if they can drive and spend sometrimes many hundreds of euros.

But what about for people with US, Australian , NZ drivers license.
I understand for them they only need to show there valid license, pay a nominal fee and be issued with a german one.?? (as long as they do it within 6 months of entering Germany)

Is thios correct.??

I would like to know any info on this before I go to the Landratsamt as the info you get often depends on the indiviudal who you deal with - and their knowlegde etc. (maybe that is an unfair comment - but I think in certain situations the German "Amts" are not very helpful or knowledable). would like to avoid situation where I get told incorrect info and end up having to pay hundreds.

thanks in advance
poro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Obtaining German drivers licence Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:

But what about for people with US, Australian , NZ drivers license.
I understand for them they only need to show there valid license, pay a nominal fee and be issued with a german one.?? (as long as they do it within 6 months of entering Germany)

Is thios correct.??

More or less, Matthew, but it seems you need to take a couple more things with you:

1) ID card or passport
2) Certification of your first residence in Germany
3) A recent picture of yourself
4) The foreign driving license and a translation of it (if it isn't an EU license)

It's explained here, if you want to read it:

http://www.rhein-neckar-dreieck.de/282.0.html

However, if your license is from an "Appendix 11 country" and you live in Munich, this site adds:

5) Certification of adequate eyesight
6) Health certificate

...plus one or two other "details".

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/kvr/strverkehr/fuehrersch/102689/uma11.html

But I suggest you go to your own town's website and check what THEY say, because it's the only way to be completely sure.
Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

cool - thanks for this info

now to get the licence!
monkel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi matthew,

i'm an aussie currently in the process of "changing over" my drivers licence after being here about 5 months. it looks like it'll cost about 500 euros all up, and though there's a lot of good advice in the aussie forum of expatica.com (the german board, obviousy) what no-one mentioned is that once you've got together your first aid certificate, eye test, registration with a fahrschule, translated drivers lic etc, it takes the bureaucrats upwards of 4 weeks before they'll be ready to accept you for your tests - theory and practical. so even though you have a 6 month period where you can drive on the licence issued in oz/nz, you might want to start the application process a little earlier to allow for the german red-tape. there's a LOT of it.

monkel xx
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: The system years ago Reply with quote

I got the German driver's license back in 1988. From what I remember, I had to provide

1. certification that I had already been driving in Germany for 6 months.
2. an official translation of my US driver's license.
3. a passport with a visa.
4. about 50 to 100 DM.
5. a current picture

It's supposed to be good for life although I haven't been in Germany long enough to see if I can/should get it renewed.
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: International Lisence Reply with quote

Can't you just grab a International Lisence before you come. I went to England for a year and simply went to the RTA or GIO in OZ and payed $5AU for an International lisence, is this not accepted in Germany?
Matt in Mainz

p.s.
I should add that I am now living in Mainz and I am planning to get an International Lisence again (posted from Australia, I realise I cant apply from here but I know a loop hole)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: