Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal Help for NETS Wronged in Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne Light Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Legal Help for NETS Wronged in Hong Kong Reply with quote

Dear Colleagues,

Below is a letter I received from a secondary teacher in Hong Kong who is organizing a new group to support NETS in Hong Kong, one which will have lawyers to fight injustices that have occurred against teachers working in Hong Kong, those currently in Hong Kong and also those who have been forced to leave Hong Kong Please send this to anyone who you feel has or has had a problem working in the Hong Kong NET and PNET Schemes.

Dear Joanne,

You have clearly suffered great injustice and your human rights have been abused. Please do tell your story to all the newspapers in Canada, Australia and the UK please help make sure that no more NETS come to Hong Kong until this sort of ill treatment stops. The NET assocication has never been strong enough to deal with schools like. This I am a seconday NET teacher at an Anglican school and have had problems similar to your own I am currently suing my principal for defamation. My lawyer is Mr Aaron Natrass of Massie and Clemment. He is also secretary of the Hong Kong human rights monitor. I am currently on the executive of NESTA ( the NET association) but I will not be standing again I believe the organization is spineless and sucks up to the EMB. I am starting a new organization Called Expat Teachers Association which aims at being a legal fighting fund to help people such as yourself.

Membership is open to offshore members such as yourself so that people will be able to continue to fight the system even after they have been forced out of Hong Kong. Offshore membership is $600 HK per year payable monthly. Onshore membership is $1200HK per year payable monthly. The idea is to get a sizable fighting fund and kick ass lawyers and let these people know that they can't get away with it ie. that they can be got at even by people who they have forced out. Please tell everybody you know about ETA our new group. Also please tell your story to Aaron Natrass [email protected] he may well be able to help.

Mark Aldred

Sincerely,
One of the wronged,
Joanne Light Miller
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several organisations already in exisitance for supoting NETs

NESTA the asocaition of Native English teachers.

Also all NETs, automatically join the Proessional Teachers Union HK (PTU).

Then there are several options for recourse if you feel you have sufered in your employment in an way.
The PTU, the EMB, the local Education officer for your district.

Legal action shuld be the last resort for a NET.

I assukme you mean the ofical NET scheme, if you are refeering to private emploment, there are still several step available without resorting to legal action.

With regards to the association you mentonne in your post, I would ask, (a) What is the organisation's charter?
(b) What do members get for their membership fee?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
arju

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: nets wronged Reply with quote

good on you joanne
arju

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: net wrongs Reply with quote

I forgot to ask for some backround information about your self in hong kong if you are able to shed some light on what happened and what little help you got if you like you can send me a private message
best of luck from a pnet
dandan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: nets wronged Reply with quote

"You have clearly suffered great injustice and your human rights have been abused." Really? Any possibility you could share the details with us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: