Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help?! I can't find work in south america!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nabs2g

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: help?! I can't find work in south america! Reply with quote

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice?

I am trying to find work in Brazil..(or maybe argentina/venuzuala) I do not have a tefl - but I have a degree and lots of work experience with kids...anyone know any schools I can email directly...or any good sites...that dont charge u like �900 to register wit them!?
YanquiQuilme�o

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord! Are you a native speaker? If so, don't even waste your time with those nonsense 4-week TEFL certification courses. Brazil is the 3rd world! Just being a native speaker is a HUGE asset here in the 3rd world, and they will hire you if you show up in person. Don't waste a dime on some "program" to get yourself a job. Just go to Brazil, and go into language institutes personally. Dress well, and be professional. Ask for a good wage. Language institutes are a BUSINESS. I repeat, they are a BUSINESS. Nothing more, nothing less. Think about things from the owner's perspective. He can make a lot of money off you because people will be willing to pay to learn English with a native speaker. Most of your classes will probably be conversation anyway because a Brazilian can teach grammar.

Just remember. Don't accept a pathetic wage so that some language institute owner can make a fortune off you. Ask to be paid what you're worth. And again, don't bother getting certified. Those certification courses are also a BIG BUSINESS, and nothing else. In the 3rd world, you don't even need a degree. You just need to be a professionally-dressed native speaker with a brain and a personality.
nabs2g

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply!

I am a native speaker - born and brought up in the UK. However I don't actually look like a native speaker and thats what I am worried about. IO went to school, uni, worked in the uk...but my parents r pakistani - so I have an obviously BROWN FACE. lol! I heard in Thailand this can affect (or is it effect..lol and i wana teach!) your chances getting work!

I have been thinkn of just hopping on a plane and arriving there...but do you by any chance have an contact details of schools etc so I can at least set up some interviews.

Where abouts are you teaching? Any reccomendations? I would like to work in Sao paulo..or somewhere like venuzuala/argentina

thanks you've been a big help already

Oh and I have a brain...a personality...and I am sure I do actually scrub up well..oh and I am female...so maybe some femmine charm will work?!
The Boz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dress well, and be professional. Ask for a good wage.

What would be a good wage to ask for? Also, would a suit and tie be too much or would a little more casual be better?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: