Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUT THEY PROMISED "WESTERN STYLE HOUSING."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: BUT THEY PROMISED "WESTERN STYLE HOUSING." Reply with quote

The advert said "Western style housing"!

Now was that Old West, Wild West, Western Virginia, Western Kentucky,
West Los Angeles or ??????????

A Chinese interpretation of what western housing must be like but never actually seen or experienced??
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Taiwan, help finding an apartment may mean being given a copy of the property pages in the papers, or directed to an estate agent (do you call them an estate agent, if they arange rental or only if they sell? anyway.. such agents are not the best way to do this.) This does not always happen, but I have heard of cases.

Stephen
Capergirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahaha Laughing

In Korea, "Western style" housing meant our pantry-sized apt. had an above-ground toilet. Confused

When making arrangements for Taiwan, the recruiter (oh I know, baaaaad move and I did it twice) said that the apartment was "a house, really". This "house" he spoke of was a small dorm-style room with a bed, a clothing rack, and sweet *bleep* all. The bathroom was a tiny closet of a room (toilet only) across the hall on a balcony. (Fun during typhoons.) The best part of all was that this "house" was situated above the garage of my boss' "house" (which was an apt. "really"). Rolling Eyes
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I don't think they are lying I think the place looks just like the ones in Western China.

Laughing
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Korea I had a 5 bedroom 5 bathroom apartment that I shared with a Candian girl. We we supposed to share with more teachers but one got married to a Korean girl and moved in with her, another wanted to live alone etc. It was awesome we had a formal dining room, 2 sofas regular sized fridge etc. Too bad we lived in Bundang, a long 1 hour subway ride to downtown seoul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: