Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELC, Salalah problem solved, I hope!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: ELC, Salalah problem solved, I hope!!! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Further to my previous warning post regarding the ELC.

There is now a new manager and competent staff have been employed. The owner has now handed over management to the highly experienced teacher who was running the place singlehanded anyway. They have another full time teacher arriving next month and new courses are planned.

As we all know things can go very wrong, very quickly in these situations, but for now at least, I withdraw my earlier comments about this school.

Duffy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Duffy on Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
abufletcher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WARNING -English Language CENTRE - Salalah Reply with quote

Duffy wrote:
Not least that fact that this teacher refuses to sign the contract of employment because the details have been "amended" more than once after the initial content was agreed, in the employers favour, of course!

I once heard a supposedly knowledge source on Islamic law say that an Islamic court takes a different perspective than an American court might on contracts. In an American court it is the specific wording and date of signing of the contract which matter. An Islamic court would also be taking into consideration issues of "fairness" to both parties. For example, let's say that you conclude a contract for buying fish at a given number of dollars/rials/dinars per kilo...but then into the second year of a 10 year contract the cost of procuring the fish rises dramatically. The American businessman might see this as a stroke of good luck and maybe even that he was a sharp business person with a good feel for "futures." The Islam court, however, might rule that the contract is no longer fair and help negotiate a new fairer contract.

Minor details of my compensation package from Sultan Qaboos University varied from time to time occasionally even being a odds with the exact working of the English contract. However, I never felt they violated the spirit of the contract.

Quote:
because cheques started bouncing, need I say more? He still has not paid the part time teacher for work that was done in the early part of this year!

It was always my impression that checks in the Gulf has little more value than an IOU. In a world where people pay for their new Mercedes and possible even their home IN CASH ON THE SPOT a check is certainly suspect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: