Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching newbie offered a job in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eager2teach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Teaching newbie offered a job in Prague Reply with quote

Hi, I was offered a job at Caledonian School in Prague. Just wondering if any teachers or former teachers would care to e-mail me and fill me in on stuff. It's my first job out of the US and I'm a bit anxious about the whole experience.

thanks,
John

[email protected]
denise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stuff would you like to be filled in on? If you have specific questions, please post them. (It makes it much easier for people to help you if they know what kind of information you need!)

d
Eager2teach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly wondering about the schedules that are typical and how people deal with all the time off in between classes. I've never had anything like that before. Is 16,000 crowns/month enough to live on?

thanks,
John
parrothead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the schedules at Caledonian School as I've never worked there, but I imagine what you do between classes is up to you.

Just to repost what has already been discussed in other threads, Prague is not that cheap of a city to live in. Schools can pay teachers 16,000kc/mo. because there are hordes of teachers looking for work.

Some possible math:
Base pay: 16,000kc/mo.
Take home: 12,000kc/mo.
Rent (shared flat) - 6,000kc/mo.
Phone card - 400kc/mo.
Food (rarely eating out) - 3,000kc/mo.
Entertainment (+internet) - 2,000kc/mo.
Transportation - 400kc/mo.

Savings = 200kc/mo. (Currency conversion= $8.00USD)

You can do it for less of course, or easily spend a lot more.
zewd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard bad things about Calendonian. I think the only vacation they give you is the week between Christmas and New Years, and you might even be expected to work through the summer, whereas many other schools will give you 4 weeks of unpaid vacation time plus 2 months off in the summer (which can be good or bad, depending on how much money you have.) 16,000 is also quite low for Prague, unless the school is giving you free accomodation. I know that James Cook and IJV (Institut Jazykoveho somethingsomething, sorry, I don't remember the last word in the name) pay around 24,000. I've also heard good reviews of St. James School, but I think they require a year of experience for their hires now.

On the plus side, people at Calendonian seem to be quite happy with their coworkers, and regularly organize group social events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: