Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dismissals, how often do heads roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
run-jp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Dismissals, how often do heads roll Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know that military contractors arent the first choice amoung you guys for employment. I am pretty sure I can stick out this contract, no prob, living within Islamic law, etc.... but I was pretty surprised, reading this contract, how easy it would be for my employer to fire me, i.e. for misconduct, insubordination or due to some complaint from the client (the saudi govt. or military).

maybe this is just how they word contracts to cover all the bases, but it has got me a bit worried now, as I dont personally know anyone who has done this gig before. I could imagine that if they heard you didnt plan to sign up for year 2, they could axe you after 10 months and save paying any bonus or air ticket home Crying or Very sad I know that, in general, they want to keep people for years (right?) Still i am wondering if someone has an idea how often military type ESL teachers are terminated for arbitrary reasons .
shukrun
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're working with a contractor then nobody knows. However it is incredibly difficult to hire somebody for Saudi so you will probably be OK. As far as I know the only two compaines that seem to use probation as part of an extended hiring process are ADNOC and Qatar petrloleum, and neither are in Saudi.

I still would not give up a good-paying UK job to come to Saudi though.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: uk vs ksa Reply with quote

Well-paid jobs in the Uk ? In TEFL ????? Where ?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of teaching in general, not TEFL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: