Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a job in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barr43

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Looking for a job in Qatar Reply with quote

Hi, all. I have been looking for a job in Qatar for a few months now, but nothing ever seems to be advertised. I'm British, MA in Linguistics (TESOL), an RSA/CTEFLA, 15 years teaching experience (6 in the Middle East), and have good computer skills, especially in CALL (see my website at www.englishw.com). Does anyone have any idea where I could look for a teaching position in Qatar? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barr43,

With your credentials, you should be able to find a good job in the Gulf. I don't know why you would want to restrict yourself to Qatar. Also apply in the Emirates and Oman - even Kuwait and Saudi if you are don't mind the restrictions on booze and such. The big problem looks to be your timing. Few of the decent places are hiring at this time of year.

Right now is when they start recruiting for next August/September. Did you try that college in Qatar that is based in Newfoundland? I know they prefer to hire people from there. I think it is called College of the North Atlantic. You will find threads about it if you do a search. In fact, I think that there is one just down this page.

VS
barr43

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Qatar Reply with quote

Dear VS

Thanks for the information. I have looked at Oman, UAE, Kuwait and Saudi, but still want to go to Qatar. I looked in to the College of the North Atlantic, but they only hire Canadians (alas).

Thanks again for the info. I'll keep looking.

Regards,

Barr43
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are vacancies at the University here, teaching on the foundation programme for September 2006. Deadline is for the end of January

http://recruit.qu.edu.qa/pls/recruitment/recruiter.rec

--------------------------

Job Ref.:2100-05-002
Position:
Lecturer
Department:
English Sub Program
College/Unit:
Foundation Program
College/Department Profile As part of the educational reform project, the University of Qatar is making a substantial investment in education through adopting world-standard curricula, attracting world-standard faculty, and enhancing teaching and research. The Mission of the University�s Foundation Program is to prepare high school graduates to meet the minimum common entrance requirements, in English, Math, and Computing Skills set by the University. The Foundation Program�s primary aim is to prepare students for English-medium courses and to provide them with the basic Computer and Mathematical skills that are appropriate to their future needs. Comprehensive curricula, the latest textbooks and teacher-prepared materials are all used to equip students with all necessary to pursue competitive college programs. With more than 2000 students and 115 teachers, the Foundation Program offers a dynamic and stimulating, yet professionally challenging, work environment. Position Summary The Foundation Program at the University of Qatar seeks to recruit competent and enthusiastic lecturers of EFL/ESL for the academic year 2006-2007, commencing in September, 2006.
Responsibilities include teaching a maximum of 20 contact hours per week; student counseling/advising; participation in testing, curriculum development, departmental committees, community service and professional development activities. Candidates have to be willing to work in a dynamic, changing, stimulating and challenging environment.
Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2006
Position Category: Academic
Employment Type: Full Time
Position Term: Three Years
Competencies: 1. Ability to contribute to a new program;
2. Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using CALL and e-learning; and
3. Excellent computer and IT skills.
Qualifications: 1. Master�s degree in TEFL/TESOL or Applied Linguistics;
2. Minimum of three years of University level teaching experience;
3. Experience in testing and curriculum development; and
4. International College experience is desirable.
Required Documents: 1. University online application form;
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter;
3. Written statement outlining your teaching philosophy;
4. Evidence of curriculum development and copies of completed teaching evaluations; and
5. At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
Benefits: * Competitive tax-exempted salary;
* Furnished accommodation;
* Annual air tickets for employee, spouse and children;
* Public health care for employee and family members;
* Educational expenses for employee's children in accordance with QU policies.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Barr... saw the Newfoundland by your name and I saw that you discussed on a North America thread that you were Canadian and had degrees from Canada. So... you are not Canadian?

Are you looking for right now or for next Aug/Sept?

VS
barr43

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QatarChic,

Thanks for the tip. I'll apply today.

VS,

I'm looking for a job ASAP. My friend is off to there and I would like to go there as well.

Thanks again for the help.
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barr43,

You can apply at the Qatar Foundation: www.qf.org.qa.
barr43

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinginQatar,

Thanks for the tip. I went to the site and, although no place to apply for jobs, did find some other colleges/universities to apply to.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: