Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

??? How Much is Enough ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: ??? How Much is Enough ??? Reply with quote

How much money should I be earning before/after tax in France in order to support my wife and young child...nice apartment, car, the nice things in life. Not rich...just how much do I need to be comfortable per month? How many euros a month??
medusa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: It all depends... Reply with quote

Hello,
how much? There are so many factors involved it would be very difficult to give you a straight answer but here are a few pointers that I hope help!...
It all depends where you live, if you're in Paris or the provinces. A simple wage for a single person living in a provincial city ie Bordeaux/Toulouse etc would be 1200euros (that would be brut -before tax and works out about minimum wage). But to find a teaching post with a cdd or cdi (short term or long term contract) at 35h a week on minimum wage is difficult -most teaching a pays by the hour without fixed weekly hours. The cost of an appartment in an out of paris city for a T2 (one bed) can be anywhere between 350-600euros depending on location, size of rooms etc. If you need another room for your baby itll be more expensive.
Housing benefit does exist and can cover between 50-150euros per month -again subject to age of builing and your income etc.
Unless your wife has some kind of income, I honestly think it would be very difficult to find a full time job that pays enough to support your family and have the comforts you mentioned. A car isnt cheap to run or keep here and if you live in town its a nightmare for parking.
I dont know Paris prices well enough or work rates but its generally much more expensive than the rest of France but there are more work opportunities and perhaps a higher pay.
I don't know if that is useful for you -if I can shed any more light on things dont hesistate to contact me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: