Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Driving? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got another question for you. (Thanks to all those who answered my other Qs.)

I'm almost 30, and I don't drive. I have my beginners. (It's a long, silly story about me being timid about learning to drive, then brave, then scared again...) Embarassed

Can you, or have you, been able to get by when you're abroad without driving?
Shocked
lajzar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends on the country, and the area within the country. I have never driven, or even tried to. In my part of Japan, a car would be an asset, but it isn't any great hindrance not to have one. I imagine if I was in a small village in Hokkaido, a car would be essential.

Remember, "abroad" is a big place, with lots of different circumstances.
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived "abroad" for the last 12 years and I use a car all the time.

But then I live in a small, isolated village in rural France where there is no public transport.

Maybe you could define "abroad" a little better
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine whether or not you need to drive depends on where you teach and how much travel is involved in the particular job.

After having a car for over 25 years in the USA, I was without my own transportation for my first two years in Mexico. In general, I didn't find it too inconvenient. However, during that time, the no-car situation caused me to lose out on some hours offered by my employer. There wasn't enough time to travel by city bus from one campus to another between classes: 20 minutes or less by car, close to an hour by bus.

Having a car, at least here in Mexico, can be incredibly expensive, especially on an EFL teacher's wages. If I had to depend only on my income from teaching to survive, I'd find it hard to justify the expense of owning a vehicle.

Admittedly, I couldn't imagine living and working in the part of the USA where I come from without being able to drive and without my own car. However, in many locations being able to drive isn't all that necessary.

It's definitely something you should keep in mind when deciding where you want to locate and whether or not to accept a particular job.
C76

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: driving Reply with quote

You guys caught me with the "abroad" thing...

It usually drives me nuts when I see it. Usually I end up thinking "How the heck can I help you, if you don't tell me where you want to go...?" Rolling Eyes

But I digress.

I didn't specify because I actually was asking about driving in general. I wanted people's different perspectives from around the world.

As for my situation, I want to go to Latin America. But I'm also considering different parts of Asia. For example, I have a book that contains subway maps for a few of Japan's cities. Depending on where I end up (i.e. Tokyo), I don't think that my not having a car would be a problem.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are getting the answers you deserve for posting a question that can vary not only from country to country, but also from person to person. In my view, if you have survived this long wherever you are without driving you'll be fine wherever you go without driving. How can you miss what you've never had.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: 14 years and counting ... Reply with quote

Hello C76:

I haven't had or driven a car in over 14 years, and I manage just fine. Wink

In fact, I find it very pleasant to NOT have the headaches involved with applying for international driving licenses, Twisted Evil the dreaded DUI Twisted Evil , auto maintenance, insurance, finding a parking space, possible theft, cleaning bird poop off the windshield, etc.

All of my EFL experiences [btw] have been either in Europe or Asia, so I can't really comment on Latin America.

Generally speaking, Asian and European *cities* have public transportation systems which are usually pretty darned good; sometimes even excellent! In Tokyo and Munich [for example] you will get from point A to point B much faster [and safer!] by using the metro than you will by battling the unGodly traffic jams and crazy drivers.

Of course, life in the country is a different matter entirely. Shocked

If you are planning to live in a large city, it'll take you a few weeks to learn the 'ins' and 'outs' of the new system and to get yourself oriented, but that's normal and painless.

In plain English; don't worry, be Very Happy .

Regards,
keNt
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use public transport. Better for the environment and not a hassle. In a foreign country you may have to jump through hoops to get your license. And traffic laws aren't as strict as what I'm used to, are there traffice laws in China? Smile people drive on all sides of the road and crazy things happen
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Kent on this one. If you are planning to work in a big city, use the public transport. I cringe when I think back to my driving days in the UK - the cost of unexpected repairs especially. Besides, a brisk walk now and again never did anyone any harm. Smile
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the place and on your own self-confidence. In Korea, I was living in a city that had really good public transportation. There was no need for me to drive and I wasn't overly anxious to do so. In Taiwan, I lived in a smaller place (a "town" but not all that small really), and there was no public transportation. Furthermore, it was downright dangerous to be a pedestrian there....completely and totally unsafe to walk the streets, I'm dead serious. So I drove a little 120 CC scooter. It wasn't the best alternative--I was involved in a few accidents, one of which was a near-fatal collision with a bus--but it was convenient.

Once you arrive at your destination and get settled in, you will be better able to make this decision. However, if you are in a place like Taiwan, just be sure you can handle the stress of driving in that chaos...it really is very hard on the nerves. Confused
Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the big cities of Japan, I didn't need one. Gas + highway tolls usually added up to about the price of a train ticket anywhere anyway. My company paid my commuting expenses (via subway in my case, but other trains + buses abound.) Safety inspections in Japan run up quite the tally. Gas is expensive. Sometimes you have to pay a separate rent for a parking space. If you live in a city and are single - why bother?

In China I don't want one. I don't want to drive here. Never. Ever. Not a scooter. Not a tank (closer to what you'd need to be safe anyway). Nothing. Traffic here is chaotic. Like a kindergarded class of 2000 would be. If you can all manage without a car, do it. If you have some sort of psychological dependancy on cars, go get thearapy and abstain from cars.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey C76 now I know you want to go to Lat Am and I can tell you that riding the bus here is not the same as riding the bus back home.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Lots of bozos on these buses Reply with quote

Dear Panama Teacher,
Hmm, I'm not so sure - have you ever done much long-distance by Greyhound? Lots of weirdos on those trips. Same over here when you take a " Yemeni bus " ( mini-van, usually in dilapidated condition driven by
someone who clearly never had a driving lesson in his life and who obviously has a death-wish, judging by his recklessness ). Actually, being of unsound mind, I rather enjoy such transport, and the, shall we say, unusual qualities of my fellow-passengers - and I'm almost always the only " Westerner " on board. But then, most of us who get into this field prefer the " exotic " to the quotidian ( i.e. we're at least slightly quirky )
Regards,
John
C76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the service in your part of Latin Am unreliable PT?

I'm also opening my mind to the idea of teaching in the Middle East. If anyone knows anything about getting around in Oman, jump in.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its all taxi around here and trips cost $1 or so close in. I had to buy a car cause my cab bills were $300-$400 a month. (I made the students pay for the cab.) And I had to pay $200-$300 a month for a cell phone to call the cabs. Outrageous. I give private classes and at one point I gave 9-10 classes a day to make el dinero. To me that is the way to go, but I don't think it's for everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: