Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudi Social Scene?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear johnslat,

interesting.

I've often wondered if my problem is that I work in a hospital, with people who are her 1,000% for the money, most of whom have never worked abroad in their lives.

By the very nature of their work, EFL teachers have travelled widely and, at least away from the Gulf, are not generally 'in it for the money'. If they are, they soon learn.

Maybe?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: The luck of the draw Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Could be, although none of the people I know is here for the cultural opportunites or the night life - just for the money. However, many of them have traveled a good deal - though that doesn't guarantee acquiring a " broad mind ", either. I've known some world-class globe-trotting bores.
Another factor could be that most of my colleagues here are - hmm how can I put it - of a mature age ( i.e. geezers, or close to it ). But perhaps, when all's said and done, it's Lady Luck who deals the hand.
Regards,
John
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is in Jeddah now and he can not WAIT to leave the Kingdom. He didn't put in a year and he is mad at everything about the culture and hates so much about what he sees...I have traveled and partied with this fellow in Korea and Thailand and he is well-read with a sharp intellect. When he sends me long emails pointing out all the ills of society there, my response is "And you were expecting...?"
I think things have gotten worse since I was there in the late 90s and until 2002. But "back in my day" Smile life was pretty darn fun there. I did something cool every weekend. Bowling on fridays, circuit training three days a week with attractive women on a BAE compound...parties, desert trips, SCUBA diving...all in mixed company. I hooked into a social scene that many of my colleagues were just unaware of or too socially inept to figure out. Saudi can be pretty fun really....I think it is luck, and I can only speak for the eastern province, though I had fun with friends in Jeddah too. I just enjoy being around interesting people. So I went to Scottish dancing and Traveling Nats...I made an effort to get out and mingle. I also drank too much and I seriously warn people against that. You can try to numb the boredom with Sid and that is a mistake.
Life is what you make it. That is my motto. I should like to go back to Saudi one day. If the present US leadership doesn't make the entire planet want to destroy us....
Cheers,
Nomad Dan (Who just bought a house Surprised )
curiousW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Saudi Social Scene Reply with quote

If it is possible to have an active social life in KSA, how does it happen? It sounds complicated. I've read through networking and effort and luck. Can anyone be more specific? And what is the ratio of male to female expats there? Are there single women there? Where are people from?
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious,
English Irish South African Philippina are the main lot. It isn't really all that complicated but you have to first of all be in an area with lots of expat nurses or female employees and second network to get on at the social functions, which are now defunct according to people in the know there now. Goodfellas might make a comeback, but that was a main place for socializing and they closed her up....
No, mate, I wouldn't call it all that complex, just strange.
Take care
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Curiouser and curiouser Reply with quote

Dear curiousw,
" No, mate, I wouldn't call it all that complex, just strange. "
Or " curious ", perhaps. I can't speak for the east coast, but, according to my " socializing colleague ", while things did just about cease for a while after the terrorist attacks here, and while a fair number of people have left, the " social scene " in Riyadh, though less extensive than it was before, has, to some degree, recovered and will likely continue to do so - unless another " incident " takes place. I can't be " more specific " in explaining how to participate - it's ALL contacts, contacts and more contacts ( plus hustle ). If you want/need it enough, you'll find it here - again, I don't know about the east coast, but I suspect conditions are much the same there.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: social life in as-saudiya Reply with quote

Don't come to Saudi Arabia for the social life. There is a lot of heavy drinking going on and very many western expats here the use of alcohol is CENTRAL to their social life. More alkjies per square km in expat Saudi Arabia than enywhere else on Planet Terra !

Also a lot of SERIOUSLY weird people !

If you must come here, come for the moolah. the spondulix, the shekels (woops, wrong currency !)
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Money Reply with quote

Scot, you forgot "the bawbees!"

For the heathens out there, the bawbee was a Scottish coin worth six pennies that was first issued in 1539.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Yes sir, that's my bawbee Reply with quote

Dear grahamb,
Regarding " bawbees ":

Scottish currency abolished at the Act Of Union 1707
Scots Sterling
1 penny (Scots) = 1/12 penny (Sterling)
2 pennies = 1 bodle
2 bodles = 1 plack
3 bodles = 1 bawbee = 1 halfpenny
2 bawbees = 1 shilling = 1 penny
13 shillings 4 pence = 1 merk
20 shillings = 1 pound = 1s 8d

But I'll bet scot47's still got the first one he ever earned. He's definitely right about the booze, though. I've known people who actually became alcoholics in this supposedly liquor-free land. On the other hand, I've also known those ( includiing myself ) who transformed into teetotalers here. Human beings - go figure.
Regards,
John
P.S. you'll notice I abstained for any comment on scot47's mention on " a lot of SERIOUSLY weird people here ". Heck, I don't like to shoot fish in a barrel.

Last edited by johnslat on Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird people? Outstanding! Sounds suspiciously similar to the Kingdom of Cambodia. Where do i sign up? I shall start saving my bawbies for the flight.
curiousW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Saudi Social Scene Reply with quote

The money is motivator numero uno. But as expats, the social life is what keeps things fresh. I met my share of "weird" or "curious" people in Korea and, if anything, they kept things interesting and made for great war stories back home. I can see how many would lean on the booze for comfort and it's understandable as long as we're not roommates. But given that being an expat is by nature isolating, and Saudi that much more so, I wonder if the money is worth it.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: The cost of money Reply with quote

Dear curiousw,
" . . . I wonder if the money is worth it? "
Sometimes money can cost too much - but only you can answer the above question. It all depends on the kind of person you are, and how you will react to the Kingdom. Some hate it; a few love it; others can tolerate it for varying lengths of time. And the worst part is - there's really no way to know in advance.
Regards,
John
Handsome Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi There.

Guys and girls, I'm thinking about leaving Korea with my Korean wife to work in Saudi, and yes money is my main motivation! I have four years experience Dip Tefl and an Advanced Dip Telf. I want to start my MA next year, so I have a couple of questions.

1, Who are the best people to work for, so I can have time to study, and be able to pay for my MA?

2, I like to drink, is alcohol a big no no, or are there certain employers that allow it on their compounds, if so who are they?

Cheers!
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

No employer allows alcohol. Your Korean wife may find it difficult...and that is if you can get a job on a family status...which is doubtful.

Some may have more optimism, but frankly the big black ball sez>>

"Might better stay in the Land of Morning Kimchee, dude."

Nomad Dan
zakiah25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: think twice Reply with quote

and for many jobs in Saudi Arabia, you will need your M.A first.
Life in Saudi Arabia can be very restrictive so do your homework before committing yourself. Many just can't adapt to living there, it might be very boring for your wife.
I recently read a story about an Australian who worked at a hospital in Saudi with his Filipino wife - she is a nurse and was caught stealing medical supplies. He paid the penalty by receiving 500 lashes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: