Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proper notice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace2society32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Proper notice Reply with quote

I have had enough undisciplined kids. Enough is enough. I am finished with EFL. Can anyone tell me the proper notice to give to an employer in Kuwait according to Kuwaiti law, or is there no standard expectation. Will a one month notice suffice? Thank you for your feedback. Does it make a difference if you are still in the probationary period?
younggeorge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one month is the requirement, probationary or not. Are you on the Hawalli technical secondary school job? I've heard plenty of horror stories about that one!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It normally goes by a clause in your contract. But, if you are not worried about getting a letter of recommendation, just get your passport and head to the airport... as so many others in the past have done.

VS
menace2society32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: No....... Reply with quote

I am not on the Hawally project that you referred to. I'm sure this one is not much different.
menace2society32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Just leave????? Reply with quote

As for the comment about just getting on a plane and leaving. That is not my style. No matter how bad a job is, one should display some professionalism and submit a notice unless there is an emergency and it can't be done. At least, that is how I view it. I wouldn't do it, regardless of receiving a recommendation or not.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never felt any huge obligation to be professional if my employers have never heard of the concept. Professional organizations have a resignation procedure that is known by their employees, printed clearly in their contract, and can be done without spending a month gathering obscure signatures. (There are departments at Kuwait University who have had more than half of the departments abscond annually because of their poor management situations.)

So, if you don't know the procedures and can't find out... I'd just finish my classes... collect my last pay... and hit the airport. Being professional doesn't have to include masochism.

VS
Signor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Proper Notice Reply with quote

Check carefully - when I was in Kuwait, there were penalties if an employee didn't finish the initial contract which resulted in numerous 'runners' - I lived in a building where a BMW had been abandoned by an unnamed someone who could take no more and I had numerous colleagues who just weren't there on Saturday.

I believe in putting in proper notice but if things are unbearable - then you have to look after yourself.

If the employer is as bad as you say - you won't be the first.
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still in your probationary period you can leave with 15 days notice. Outside of the probationary period whatever is stated in your contract, it is usually two months on either side. However, if it is a fixed contract and you are outside your probationary period there may be no provision for resignation. You need to sit down and find out how much it is going to cost you to get out of the contract. Now you understand why there are so many runners, or you will if the school tries to enforce some of the ornerous conditions found in some contracts. It all depends on the contract you signed.
British Tutor Kuwait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: MENACE - NOTICE IN KUWAIT Reply with quote

Employees and/or employers by law are required to give 15 days notice.
Check your Contract, if you had one, to see if it varies from this rule.
Just an isea, to avoid hassles - if they have your Passport - you need it for one day with the bank and/or credit arrangements tell them .... then just fly away, free as a bird ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: