Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sabis International Schools in Dubai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Choueifat Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, Evergreen. I noticed that was your very first post to eslcafe! Surprised Evergreen is right-they give you an extensive application that surveys many of your answers. I had to complete this application even after 3 years in Choueifat when I was applying to work in Dubai. My own grandmother died while I was in Cairo, and to when I informed them that I would be missing 4 days of school to go home for her funeral, there was nothing but support, encouragement and condolences. Shortly after returning from my grandmother's funeral, I filled out the aforementioned application/survey for Dubai Choueifat. I answered all of the questions, but had my application returned as one of my answers did not please them (paraphrased): "[What do you think about not being able to return to your home country to attend the funeral of a non-immediate family member?]" I answered, "I would hope to be able to return to the US to attend the funeral of a loved one or others close to me." My grandmother dying the month before was actually the 3rd grandparent to die while I was abroad and the only time I went home for the funeral.

They sent the application back, and made me promise, in a letter, that I would not go home to attend any funerals in the upcoming contract year. I danced around it-sending a letter that did not promise anything, and they did not notice.

Saying all of that............that survey is extensive when it comes to alcohol. Dubai's nightlife THRIVES on food and drink. That is half the draw for young English-speakers, particularly from the UK and Ireland, who are looking for work. Schools and companies recruiting know this and capitalize upon it. If that application is so strict, why does the school (in the UAE) still manage to hire 50% piss heads? Why do they go to young, newly graduated college students in the UK and Ireland despite having a great deal of insight into their cultural norms (Regional director preferred Ireland because his deceased wife was Irish and he could capitalize on what was once a teacher surplus in Ireland)? They recruit those people, many who enjoy the nightlife and have come to Dubai for a working holiday, because they are the only ones who will accept A) a low salary B) Accept living with someone else in shared accommodation

You get what you pay for. Choueifat knows exactly what they're recruiting. If I had to sign a letter promising not to leave the country if a loved one dies, what the hell did they make most of those people promise when they revealed their drinking habits...even if they lied about their drinking habits to a degree, did they have to promise?

Those are the sorts of things that will make you crazy. No disrespect to the Irish, by the way. They school seems tends to recruit the Irish, but I believe that the results would be the same if they went to any English-speaking country and recruited non-Education graduates to a place that is regarded as a holiday spot.

Like I said-every school is different. 8 years ago, there was a teacher surplus is Ireland and great, qualified teachers were taking these jobs (often couples) in Choueifat/UAE. I don't know how the job market is in Ireland, but while I was in Dubai the qualified Irish teachers said there was once again a need for good teachers back home. That's when Choueifat must resort to hiring non-qualified, recent grads to teach Subjects (dancing around Ministry of Education policy) and place their qualified teachers in 'class teacher' positions.

One last thing (I've rambled on for ever, it seems)...Choueifat was rumoured to send people onto boards like these to post uber positive comments about the system because so many teachers left disgruntled.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as an expat I have to say that I would never consider sending my kids to a Choueifat school.

And you only have to look at the above posts to see why....

well-travelled
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Propoganda Reply with quote

Well, Choueifat has never tried to appeal to the western expats idea of 'quality education'. Rather, they have made a massive appeal to Middle Eastern parents, who love the idea of drill and kill and regular testing. Most parents I met thought the school set a high level of academic standards and wanted this for their children. Would I choose it for my own? Absolutely, not. But the physical appearance of the school (in Cairo, new, glitzy, and air-conditioned when many schools were not) and the push for a higher level of academics at a younger age really brought the parents in. I don't think they aim to create critical thinkers, nor does academic writing figure into their plan (this is the main reason why I believe Choueifat graduates unfit for western universities), but they certainly have an audience willing to pay.
irish vanessa

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabis International Schools in Dubai Reply with quote

sharons0 wrote:
Hi Has anyone worked in the Sabis school in DUnai before? Im a qualified teacher and there are interviews coming up for teaching jobs here which I'm considering going for. They pay for your accomodation and flight and you can save money. I'm interested in teaching in a different culture. Ive been looking up other discussions and heard things about it but has anyone experience of teaching in this school in particular. APpreciate the advice thanks.

Hey sharon....im heading over on 15th august to teach in the sharjah school-teaching french and social studies i think...cant wait!! I was interviewed by the principal of that school and he was really sound so im looking forward to it...how bad can it be???

Im teaching french and social studies i think...

Anyway, good luck with everything and no doubt we'll be training together,

Vanessa
stoth1972

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: How bad can it be? Reply with quote

I worked in Sharjah about 8 years ago. Feel free to PM me for details.
sharons0

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thats cool that ur going to SHarjah...Where bouts r u from? Im in U.L and heading to Abu Dhabi now...Not sure what Im meant to do next as the last email they sent hadnt much info. Maybe I could get ur address n drop ya n email..or if ya want mine is [email protected]...
irish vanessa

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im from dublin, finishing a media arts with french degree in DIT in a couple of weeks...i think im going to be teaching french and social studies over there-should be an experience anyway...
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Bogus post? Reply with quote

Ok, I must comment on this after 3 weeks. As I mentioned in a previous post, Choueifat occasionally sent people on to this site to make nice, positive, and fun remarks about the school. In this case, when I say "Choueifat" I should mention that I am referring to the UAE system of schools since they are the most problematic (and there is a very good reason for that, too). I find it curious that Evergreen has only one post, and it was a truly glowing review of working for Choueifat in the UAE. A good reason to carefully consider the source when taking information from posters on this site.
Emily-Jane

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone Smile

I'd just like to ask those who filled out applications for the sabis schools, how long did it take for them to get back to you? Do they contact you to say 'thanks but no thanks' or 'we'll arrange an interview', or do they just leave u in the dark about where you stand for a long time?

I contacted them about three weeks ago, because I am looking to relocate to the UAE with my husband and children. We both have degrees but not in education. They sent me out the information pack and the application form and told me to email asap the form and questionnaire, attn of Mrs S. K. I filled out the forms and sent them off, but have not even recieved a reply stating they received them and would be in touch in due course Confused

I'll be in the UAE at beginning of June for the summer months at least, and it is quite frustrating that they have not replied yet!

Emily
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on this school specifically, but this is very common. It is not as bad as it was before the internet arrived, but still common. At this time of year, schools are swamped with exams and grading and arranging summer leaves for staff and faculty... and somehow keeping possible new hires informed goes to the end of the list.

Employers everywhere seem to feel that they need not bother to notify people of receipt of papers. You might send them off an email asking whether all of the information needed was enclosed or if you need to send something else.

VS
Emily-Jane

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Laughing twice!

The first time to ask them regarding accomodation for married couples with children, they had it in their information sheets to contact the recruitment office if one had any queries. The second time to ask if they had received my application, two weeks after sending it in, as I'd like an email receipt of arrival!

I guess I'll just have to be patient. Rolling Eyes
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily, I would try calling the offices in Abu Dhabi. Let them know that you applied and are anxiously seeking work. You can PM me, and I'll see what names I can find as contacts in the meantime. One thing to consider, when I left Dubai Choueifat, the policy was "send your children to Choueifat or your contract will not be renewed this coming year." Having worked in Choueifat for 4 years, I do not think that Choueifat's curriculum will be acceptable to most Westerners. The other option: don't tell them you have children. Will your husband be working at Choueifat, too (rather, is this your intention)? If so, Choueifat offers on-campus accommodation (quite stiffling), and it's not much room for multiple 'bodies' in the house. That, and your kids will have to attend the school. Something to consider....If your husband is seeking or has obtained other work in the UAE, I'm sure Choueifat would love to hire you as a 'local' employee (saving them airfare, accommodation, etc.)
quamodian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Salary for Teachers in UAE Reply with quote

Hi there,
Am new to this group. About myself, I have done my MA and currently am also doing my PhD.Have been teaching Technical English at an Engg College for two years. I have been called for an interview by an Indian group that runs numerous schools which offer CBSE, ICSE, A level, etc in Dubai. Could someone please tell me about the salary that i might expect.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might want to post a new thread with this topic under the UAE section. May I ask what the name of the group is? What position are they interviewing you for? What is your MA in? It's hard to say what you should expect in salary without some of those details.
whitecastle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this thread is about 10 years old.

Does anyone teach at Choueifat now, and could you give me some information on the school, management, environment etc...

much appreciated! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: