Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

have degree, want to teach, is TEFL cert needed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: have degree, want to teach, is TEFL cert needed? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've already got a degree in Business Administration. I've worked in
private industry for one company for 7 years. I also opened my own bar and
a record shop. I've since been severed from the job, sold the bar and
record shop and want to travel for an extended period of time in search of
new experiences - preferably Asia.

I've decided that teaching english might be something that I might like to
fall back on, if financial need ever arose.

I've done a fair bit of reading in this forum and others and so far it seems
that as long as I have a degree, and can professional represent myself to a
school during an interview I should have no problems.

Is this the case?

If I were going to take a 4-week TEFL cert course, what would be a good one
in Thailand?

I've looked at TEFL International which has a banner advertisement here on
this website. Is that recommended?

I get an educational fund as part of my layoff from the job so I was
considering taking the TEFL certification just for fun and to be better prepared in the classroom.

Regards.
cookie
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Save Your Money Reply with quote

For what you are planning to do,you do not really need a cert.Why not save your money or spend it on yourself rather than give it to the owner of one of those schools pushing certs?
With your degree,you are definitely employable in Asia.Be careful and try to get a decent job.There are a lot of ripoffs.
A lot of those cert things exist just to put cash in the pockets of the owners.I am not saying they are all crroks,but a lot of them are,and most of them charge too much for what they will give you...a fancy piece of paper of dubious value.If you do decide to get a cert,check out any program carefully before you give them any money.Of course they will all tell you how wonderful they are because they want your money.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it from this standpoint.

In most places, you can get work just by sheer virtue of being a native English speaker with a degree (to satisfy immigration).

However, does owning/buying a bar and record shop, having a degree in business admin, and working in a non-teaching business really make you feel comfortable trying to teach English to someone who probably has a very difficult time understanding you? Yeah, it's not rocket science in the language schools, and yes, you will probably be given a school's teaching format to follow, but not always. If you have to design a lesson plan based on minimal textbook info, can you? Can you hold a class's attention for 45-80 minutes, and then get them to speak when their traditional education prevents them from speaking up or volunteering? Can you teach without speaking much, just so you can maximize student talk time?

I disagree with bnix and strongly suggest that you look into teaching certification for TEFL. If nothing else, it should be a program that teaches you how to prepare and present lessons. Ideally, you will have actual experience doing so.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, time to agree with Glenski.

I didn't to an ESL cert before coming to Japan 2 years back and to tell the truth I regret it now. I am considering doing one if I get enough time off and find one that I like.

Prior Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Proformance.

T
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Yeah,Well....Glenski....... Reply with quote

He does make a point about the sheer fact you are an English speaker allowing you to get a job in many venues.
And his advice to get some kind of specialized training in English is probably well-meant.However,if you do take his advice and go the cert route, I again suggest that you research any cert program carefully before handing them any money.Most of them are after just that....the $$$$.

But if you don't get the cert, you will still be able to get a job.Whether you will be a real teacher or not is a moot point, one that certainly does not faze a lot of other "teachers" in this business. Rolling Eyes
West Brom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bnix, how much training does a person need to qualify as a teacher in your opinion?
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: My Opinions.... Reply with quote

Please remember, these are only my opinions.And I am surely not naive to believe it is going to change anything in this field.
Minimum requirements(my opinion) to be an effective TESOL teacher:
1. A Masters degree in TESOL,or a bachelors in education or English or:
2.A bachelors degree in any other field plus some type of specialized training in English.Essentially, I agree with Glenski on this one.But, if you do go the cert route,try to get a good program,one where you will not waste your money.That is my caveat on the cert question.
.Personally, I do not think that people who try to "teach "English with only a bachelors degree in something like Oriental studies, entomology,basketweaving,etc.etc. (and no specailized English training ) are effective. How can they be effective?

And I do not really believe all that bull about your charisma,blah.blah.counting for a lot. Maybe at a hakwon, but they are not real schools,anyway.
Remember,those are just my opinions.I am sure there will be people who will post and say you do not need any of the above to be an effective teacher.I also bet they are the ones who lack any of the above qualifications.How convenient.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cookie--teach. With what you've got you have a lot more than others running around teaching English. Also, I have made money teaching business english to professionals. The want to understand contracts, negotiations, CNNfn, the stock market, etc. They also like to know the formalities of a business meeting and how things happen in the real world. Further they tend to be executives with bucks. People in here write about teaching based on what they bring to the table, which is usually limited in scope. Try to see if you can teach at a language school that caters to professionals. Maybe you want to go to an Asian country with a more sophisticated business environment than Thailand (though I here it has its attractions). I would advise taking some sort of course if its cheap and quick, not only to pad the resume, but also because you do need to be able to differentiate between a gerund and a gerbil. Good luck--It's not hard at all.
West Brom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bnix, excuse me labouring the point. Does one of the four week certificate courses suffice in your opinion?

I'm not singling you out because I disagree with you. It's just that I have read more posts by you than any other poster regarding the trained v untrained debate.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brom--I think it depends on the setting you teach in. A nursery/kinder level class does not require the same quals as teachin at a uni. Do you agree? I am not qualified to do what I do looking at what Bnix says and I have to admit that he may be correct. I'm going more on instinct than a knowledge base, which is not good, but I need the money. If I were a doctor, I would guilty of quackery. That's why I can't get a decent job. But I have no plans to get the training I need cause I'm too lazy.
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: cert necessary? Reply with quote

cookie,

I say go for the TESL certificate if it'll make you feel better.

In the thread entitled "HELP!!" on the newbie board, I posted a rather longwinded reply which noted the virtues of taking a course.

In my opinion, it's the diff between two factors. On one hand, you could plunge into teaching ESL thinking that you just might know what you're doing. On the other hand, there's the security and confidence that comes from knowing that there are certain techniques you can employ. And so on...
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Response to West Brom Reply with quote

I certainly do not pretend to be an expert on the cert situation or even know about most of the programs out there.generally speaking,I would be very leery of any course only lasting four weeks.I would be leery of what it would actually teach you and whether you would get anything for your money or just a song and dance and a fancy piece of paper.Of course,there might be one or two very intensive four week courses out there that might be worthwhile.Generally,I would advise caution in something that seeks to do a "quick fix".My opinion.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Cookie]

I came to China two years ago to teach oral English. I only had a GED, no teaching certificate of any kind, no experience, and only 20 years old. I was a high school drop out at 16. I had no future to look forward to.

I came to China because a private school was willing to give me a try. After arriving, my employer set me up with an on line tefl course.

I have been with the same school for two years and they want me to stay another year.

I have a different perspective on China and teaching English in China. China has given me a life and I am very grateful.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda--Your story is refreshing and heartwarming. It makes me feel great to know that there is a place for anyone in this big old world of ESL. You've made a great start; what are your plans for continued professional growth? Or do you plan to ride your GED all the way to the top. I hate to say this Linda, but you are probably being pimped in China (exploited). Consolidate your gains and move on girlfriend. Trust me on this one.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men paid my momma good money for the right to call me "w-h-o-r-e." You have not paid me or my momma so you do not have that right.

So what if I am being "pimped" in China? At least I get to keep the money instead of my momma.

I get the same pay as those with a B.A. degree. Some say it is enough while others complain. But ain't that the way?

My future plan is to survive one day at a time. At least I no longer have to do every john my momma brings in the back door to do her underage daughter. I don't get beat anymore.

I get paid well, housed well, fed well, and I do my job. You have no right to call me a "w-h-o-r-e."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: