Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the latest on IPETQ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace2society32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: What's the latest on IPETQ? Reply with quote

Ok, I have only found two threads pertaining to IPETQ. Is it a good program to work for? What about accomodations? What about the students? ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE IS WELCOME. Feel free to PM me. Thank you.
running dog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Ipetq Reply with quote

Despite the bad propaganda I read before I signed for IPETQ, I found them to be satisfactory. They paid on time ($2,000 a month), were courteous in all their dealings and helped in every way possible. If staff fell foul of the law or had health or vacation problems, they did their best. If they still have the contracts with KOC, KPC etc. you'll find the classes co-operative and the facilities excellent. The accommodation is first class .... and yet .............. this is not a top class Gulf gig. It's hard to say why.Maybe it's because Kuwait is just not a very interesting country. Even in its own guides call it the Wales or Belgium of the Middle East. One last point (and this is what remains with me the most) the teaching staff were the rudest, ill-mannered bunch I've ever had the misfortune to meet. Trainees? no problem. Teachers? Paranoid, vindictive, small-minded, back-biting .....if they weren't alcoholic, on another planet, resentful, whatever. MAYBE THE COMPANY WOULD NEED TO TIGHTEN UP ON ITS RECRUITING PRACTICES.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the situation with the staff is not a result of ITEPQ gaining such a bad reputation because of the problems in the past. Places with a bad reputation will tend to get many of the teachers that no one else will hire.

They haven't had any bad press here lately, so perhaps they will be able to turn things around eventually. Many people have successfully used ITEPQ as a first Gulf job and a stepping stone to a better position later.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPTEQ appears to have a high turnover. This does not create a special dynamic.

Also the pay is not that good. It is probably on a par with pay in International Schools in Kuwait, but they are generally pleasant to work in, and you do have some of the longest school holidays in the world.
menace2society32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: What about the benefits? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what benefits are offered, such as medical, dental, etc, etc, sick leave, etc, etc. And what about the behavior of the students? I worked at a commercial high school in the U.A.E. and the students were terribly behaved. I hope it is not that bad. Are the students college-aged? What is the age range and average contact hours each week? Thanks again for the feedback.
Veritas vincit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: IPETQ Reply with quote

A word of caution: stay away from the Hawalli contract unless you're absolutely desperate for cash. It's a huge contract, over 800 students in two bulidings, & the management leaves a lot to be desired. Most 'Native Speakers' (Co. term) leave well before the year is up never to return, hence the almost constant attempts to recruit.

In IPETQ's favour, salaries are almost always paid on time.

Against:

a) they withhold documentation - passports, degree certificates - for an inordinate length of time.

b) processing of visas & obtaining medical insurance cards & IDs can also take months, in some cases more than 7.

Accomodation is satisfactory, although no telephone, TV or heater are supplied. Location can be difficult for newcomers as the accomodation is away from malls & entertainment . The accomodation is within walking distance of paved roads. However, sand tracks without drainage can present a problem at this time of year.

I hope this proves to be useful.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I want to speak highly of ITEPQ, who has had lots of problems, but...

A large part of the problem with paperwork is inherent within the Kuwait governmental system. Even the Kuwait University - a government organization - can take FOREVER to get your paperwork done. The norm when I was there was to arrive in August and receive your passport back and your first pay in January. I suspect that they have not improved.

Also, in the Gulf, I have never known an employer who provided a telephone, television, or heater. Even with 'furnished flats' those were never included. The best case was a furniture allowance (as the university provided) and you bought what you wanted with the money paid.

Sounds like the location of the housing is one of those 'never quite finished' situations that one encounters... one is often surrounded by sand in some neighborhoods. When the employer provides a flat, a good location is usually a crapshoot. I always preferred finding my own with a housing allowance.

It's still a buyer beware employer though... tolerable and a paycheck, but don't expect too much.

VS
ron7086

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "menace"-- You ask a lot of good questions. Find out what you can from contributors to this forum and then...... ask an IPETQ rep/recruiter directly. Ask the same questions. Otherwise, you risk basing your decisions on the biased answers of someone.. like me!!

For instance, I asked a lot of questions before I went to IPETQ. I was never lied to, even if I didn't particularly like the answers. In my experience, I had no problem with promises made and not kept.

To emphasize a point on which there seems to be agreement, one good point about IPETQ is the pay. They pay on time. In the first few months you will be paid in cash. This is the first job I've had where people hunted me down to give me an envelope of cash. If a minor problem with pay happens, it is quickly fixed.

For "running"-- my experiences with the teachers is different. IPETQ has several projects and I have been fortunate to work on a good one with great professionals as teachers. They help one another out without being asked. I have never worked with such a professional group in 18 years of teaching. (And yes, there were a couple of crazies, but they didn't last 90 days).

For "veritas"-- the Hawalii project is outside my experience. The problems with documents being held for a long time go back to another posters comments about problems that belong more to the government than just to IPETQ.

For "veiled"-- your expression is on the mark. It is tolerable and a paycheck. And it is employee beware.

Additionally, IPETQ is not as bad as the "other guys". There are lots of frustrations that go with working in this area (the Middle East). And, with absolutely nothing to do outside work, the frustrations escalate to a boiling point rapidly.

My wife and child are experiencing Kuwait with me (so much for the "nothing to do"). Good for me, but I don't know how I will be able to make it up to them. I would not again subject my family to this type of environment. In case it is not obvious, I would advise against bringing a family.

As mentioned elsewhere, the management of IPETQ is as helpful as possible. I believe it is completely overwhelmed. This leads to "the squeaky wheel..........." Which brings me back to my original suggestion.

Get as much information as possible, then ask IPETQ directly for any clarification.

Or prepare to be a very sqeaky wheel.
Veritas vincit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: documentation Reply with quote

Veiled Sentiments & Ron: your compliance may be admirable and is, or was, I am sure, much appreciated by your employers. However, I feel it is only fair to point out to any teacher thinking of working in Kuwait that the company practise of (with)holding passports is illegal. According to Kuwaiti law, the passport is to be kept by the holder (see British Tutor Kuwait posting, 02 February, for a second opinion on this topic). We can surmise that companies hold employee passports for practical purposes, the main reason being that it prevents them from doing a runner. This is certainly not unheard of. In fact, a little bird tells me that Ron's (ex) DOS did this quite recently. The passport is the property of the holder. You will need it for several reasons in Kuwait, including ID, when you first arrive, & banking. No company has the legal right to retain it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstand, veritas. The holding of passports is not an issue here at all. I don't recall any posters on here complaining of their employers holding their passports.

But, the employer must have the passport in order to get your work visa put in it. (no iqamas or labor cards in Kuwait) So, the employer has to take the passport in order to inch it slowly through the system. They are not 'holding' it in the sense of Saudi, or many private employers in Oman and the Emirates - who are holding it with the idea that now you can't leave.

Once the visa is completed, you get the passport back. But, then if you work for Kuwait University, you can't leave the country without an exit visa in your passport, which involves giving it back to them again to get that put in. As far as I know an exit visa isn't required if you are working for private companies.

VS
ron7086

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For veritas: I like "compliant". There is a word that I haven't heard much describing me. And the appreciation part has yet to appear. At any rate..... The comments of veiled are correct. This particular thread relates to IPETQ and I don't detect or suspect a policy of holding passports for the sake of doing so. And.... I am frequently on the phone/net to inquire as to why something involving my passport takes so long.

The US Embassy response to the retention of US passports by other than the one named in the passport is stated unequivocally. It is not allowed.

It is somewhat of a telling comment when one can say that the best thing about a place is that it is NOT Saudi. As was noted, passports there are routinely held, but since an exit visa from that country is required, not a lot of folks get upset. I did my time there also, an experience not to be repeated.

As my experience here winds down, I'll help out with any specific questions by PM, although I like a public forum. Some questions, such as those related to bringing a family, might not hold the interest of all.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be some people with families here who would appreciate that kind of information. So, I'd say post it here unless it is something that you consider too personal.

VS
ron7086

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the public forum is best. Actually, I was thinking of those who might feel uncomfortable with asking questions that THEY think are too personal.

With my limited time left here, I am neither interested in nor have the time for clandestine flamewars. Any questions to me by PM would have to be those I could answer in the public forum with "identifying" details left out.

See... I do watch the forum and reply. So does IPETQ. (surprise!!)
pangley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Isn't EDU, Qualitas and IPETQ the same company?

With that, there's alot to be said about a company that continually changes its name.
ron7086

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: name changes?? Reply with quote

What an interesting idea!!

If you were a conspiracy theory advocate, you might think that way.

But that would involve secrecy and confidences held. Nothing to do in Kuwait outside work makes keeping secrets an almost impossible task.

Not impossible,,,, just unlikely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: