Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian-American woman in the UAE...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grand fromage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's so easy to wind some people up-please believe me when I say I am truly sorry if I have caused any of you fine gentlemen any psychological harm; it was purely unintentional, scouts honor Laughing Oh, MLI-VET, do you normally refer to yourself in the third person, or is it your happy side talking Confused

BTW, as far as the "mugging" is concerned, yes a teacher's wife was pushed down to the ground while in an underpass on rollerblades. Her purse was snatched from her and the assailant ran away. No weapon was used though so in my book it's more an assult than a mugging. Semantics aside, it must have been a scary for the lady involved, but she was just shaken up and in fact she is still here without plans of leaving.
In the relatively long time I've been here (sorry, but the few "generations"of newer teachers at MLI disqualify me as a newbie Cool , that has been the worst case.

I have heard of women being followed and approached but never more than that (on second thoughts, I remember 1 incident where a teacher's Asian girlfriend was groped in the elevator of the buliding I describe better in the next paragraph). Oh yes, some Dubai friends have told me that women do get groped in crowded public places like Satwa or the busy streets of Bur Dubai or Deira.

In fact some of the unwanted attention is the fault of MLI's administration which rented a big apartment building behind one of Abu Dhabi's notorious *beep*-houses. Women living in or visiting that building (Obeid Mohammed/Al Kabi Tower Building) reported many more incidents than others living in Zadco or Al Farah bldg. Despite many complaints to the admin. it is only now-4 years later that they will soon stop using that building. So if you are a woman intending to work for MLI or someone bringing a wife and family, make sure they don't somehow put you in that building. But what can you expect from an area where prostitutes walk the streets openly-doesn't this vision conflict with your image of an Islamic country? It was a shock for me too.

Anyway, I've gotten ahead of myself-sorry.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Unhinged Train Travellers Reply with quote

For those who wonder about coming to the Middle east, here is a suggestion. Look at the posts by "manonatrain" and notew how you can become completely unhinged if you cannot hack it in the M.E.

This place is not for everyone.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: ? sure Scot Reply with quote

Ya Scot...unhinged. who ?
by what definition.

So is it only for those who perpetuitate bull...shite ?
Or can those with strong views on the realities speak too.

Censor or censure.

I wonder why so many police states have people who
are always COUNTERING anything negative written on
DavesEsl. I mean is the truth that threatening.

Ya, it is safe here, for most people, and for some, it is much
less safe.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: MLI Jailbirds Reply with quote

Thanks for the further details, BIG Cheese on the "assault" and groping incidents. This kind of stuff is very helpful!

What do you know about that MLI Jailbird incident? That might be useful info for this thread too since it involved an "Asian" girlfriend of a teacher.

Why were they both thrown in jail for a week or more? Did it really involve a young, wasta-laden mutawwa who was stalking this dude's (Filipina ??? ) girlfriend at a mall?

What was it like being in the Abu Dhabi slammer for a week? Did the police physically strike either of the two? Rough 'em up a bit? Who got treated better, the Westerner or the "Asian" girl? These would be useful, factual things to know, especially in this thread to kind of wrap things up w/ factual information rather than just "I say/you say/he said/she said" kind of hype.

Maybe they both kept a journal during this ordeal and could post extracts themselves--that would be the real deal Exclamation And it would give a glimpse of the Gulf that most just aren't able to get before coming here.

The Abu Dhabi slammer--now that's one place I wouldn't wanna be! If they had converted to Islam, would they have gotten out sooner? Or what if they had let the mutawwa have his way from the v. beginning?

MLI Vet
Over and Out
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MLI Jailbirds Reply with quote

[quote]it really involve a young, wasta-laden mutawwa who was stalking [/quote MLI

OH....man..now that quote brings back some old pain and new.
Had some DUDE asking everyone I know WHERE I WAS when
I took my holiday. He was wasta-laden and sweet on me..

Well, harder for a chic to shake off than a dude. But still
it was creepy. In the West... i could have slugged him or
told him No thanks. Not into the DUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADY thing.

Wasta- is a good subject for a book about the Arab world. Wonder
if you would live to publish it?

But would like to hear that tale. Bet they are still RUNNING.
Or are they still in the UAE...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: