Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lucy, that's right; they yell help, you throw a rope, they toss it back and tell you to go hang yourself. Que vida! Smile
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Well; I am still here. For a moment I thought I had joined the wrong forum. I was expecting to get some advise from people who actualy have teaching experience themselves. Silly me... Wrong idea.

Gina, I believe I'm the only one who responded to your post who isn't a "real" teacher yet.

Still, my status does nothing to undermine my knowledge of what it takes to be a competent ESL professional. In spite of my wordiness and use of colloquialisms, I gave you sound advice. I responded according to what I know, what I have seen, and what I have heard from those who DO have experience. Above all, I replied according to what was implied in your initial post.

Thus, I second PT�s post re not mentioning your experience. You know what YOU know about yourself. However, we don�t know you from Adam. What you do and don�t say in your posts is all we have to go on. It�s the same for all bboard users. Because of a lack of info in your initial post, it was easy to believe that you were an impetuous, inexperienced chica.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr!! Get her C!!! How can we help when we don't have all the details; then she says we're incompetents (well maybe me). Smile Does it pay to be nice?
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently not, judging from the posts I've been reading these days. (Answering your q about bein' nice. Wink )

And continuing from the last p-m I sent you, PT...

How bloody hard is it to acknowledge that something can be gained from the advice of your (more experienced) peers? Even if you don't agree with 'em. There's no need to be rude.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till you meet some of the folks overseas. Especially locals with money. Talk about rude/crude/and bad attitude. Smile
jadg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: panama teacher???????????????? Reply with quote

as a long time fan of cynicism, i can't believe i'm reacting to this but what is this cantankerous panamateacher on about?!?!?
why set yourself up as an ESL martyr, saving neophyte teachers from ending up in your own embittered shoes? why not simply go home, put on a stiff polyester tie and an obsequious sh*t eating grin and work as a teller in a suburban branch of a large bank???? opportunities abound, career advancement, superannuation, first world living conditions, immense job satisfaction etc.
be done with this ESL caper if it is so piss poor and find something better to do with your free time than imparting your "wisdom" to people who, however foolishly, retain some enthusiasm for a career in ESL teaching.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Poor old Panama! Reply with quote

For me, Panama's one of the rays of sunshine on this forum. Hell, we all get grumpy. I complain all the time, but the enthusiasm's still there.
Shine on, Panama!
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham--thanks for the compliment buddy

jagd--thanks for your comments, i didn't realize I was coming across that way; what i meant is that one has to lose some sensitivity when overseas.
for example, i can't let one negative comment (yours) turn me off from a very helpful forum. i think teaching is great, i think being into esl is great, i just think you have to be careful whatever you do in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: