Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Privacy Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgalt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Privacy Issues Reply with quote

Hi all,

Could you experienced folk please help me understand something? I'm applying for overseas jobs for the first time and some employers are responding to my initial inquiry by asking for very personal identity information, such as passport number and details, mother's maiden name, etc.

This is before they've shown any interest in interviewing me or learning more about my background than what I've sent them in my introductory CV.

Identity theft is my concern here. Does anyone know of any instances where all this personal information is used for the taker's personal profit?

Why do they ask for all of this information at the point where you're still only one of the hundreds of anonymous applicants asking for a job?

Thanks much,
J
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: A Very Valid Concern Reply with quote

Well,of course,it depends on what country(ies) you are applying for and kinds of jobs(universities,private schools,or what).In some countries,they do not view job information as confidentially as in the USCanada,etc. i am not saying that is right,but it is a fact.
Of course,they need to know you have a valid passport and probably the passport number and expiration date.Mother's maiden name?Well,maybe for a university job or something.
But you are right to be cautious about who you give your personal info to.I had a "friend",who under the guise of neing a "recruiter",solicited people's CVs,email addressess,etc.and then sold the info to other recruiters and other people.This is probably not exactly an isolated incident,either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: