Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Casablanca
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick's Place?
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Casa was like the film. In reality, Bladerunner meets Kandahar for the ambience whilst Soylant Green nicely sums up the food.

Casa the horse

Little Johnny wanted a horse. He wanted a horse so badly that it drove his parents round the bend. Early every morning, Johnny would run into his parents' bedroom asking for a horse. Johnny's Dad had had enough. He filled Johnny's bedroom, from the floor right up to the ceiling, with fresh stinking horse's crap. "That'll teach the little brat what it's really like to own a horse." And Johnny's Dad settled down to wait for his son to return from school. When Johnny got home, Dad told him to come up to his room. Johnny took one look and run downstairs. "That's an end to all this horse talk", Mum and Dad agreed. But next thing, Johnny came running back upstairs. He was holding a shovel. He ran straight to his room and started digging.

"What on earth do you think you're doing, son?"
"Well, Dad, with all this crap, there must be a horse in here somewhere."
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: If only Reply with quote

silly romantics would realize the film was not even made in Morocco, but merely on a Hollywood backlot.
Too bad you didn't have a chance to try good Moroccan food. Pity. You really missed out.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to name as many good eating places as you like in Casa.
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a great Spanish one, and downstairs they have a bar.
I remember drinking with a couple students.
Good times.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be any vaguer?

It's called La Bodega - 5/10.

Any more top places?
here_now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod, am just curious..what traumatizing experience did you have in Morocco that left you sooooo abnormaly bitter.

I mean if you like it..good for you..if you don't...you're totally entitled to your opinion...
Assuming you're no longer there, I don't understand why you answer to every thread and post made on Casa.

am just wondering that's all...

God knows I've lived in countries that I hated, but I tend to move on...and everyone's experience is different and I don't make it a mission to challenge everyone who's (god forbid) liked it into proving me wrong....so am guessing there's got to be more to your story than what you've shared.

p.s: I spent three years in Morocco in 93 and actually loved it..but that's not the point.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God! You spent three years in Morocco in 1993 (how?), and you're still reading and posting about it on this website? It's far worse than I thought. I've got at least a decade of banter left.

You think too much.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really call that banter or even repartee. Simply some grousings of a sad and bitter soul. Glad I didn't know you in Morocco, that's for sure.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right. But how about devoting some of that effort to completing this little paragraph.

Hod's wrong. Casa is a worthwhile place to spend a year or two because _____.

If you can't manage that, or if insults are really all you can offer, try rearranging this:

sock it a put in
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Hod's wrong. Casa is a worthwhile place to spend a year or t Reply with quote

Hod's wrong. Casa is a worthwhile place to spend a year or two because it is the vital industrial capital of a fascinating country. It is the business center to which many Moroccans, as well as people from many other nationalities, are drawn. It has fine hotels, sophisticated international restaurants and exciting nightclubs, as well as traditional Moroccan shopping, culture and cuisine. Casablanca's impressive H2 mosque, a model of Moroccan plaster, wood, and tile crafts, set at the oceans' side, is one of the world's largest, and the only mosque in Morocco where non-Muslims are allowed to enter. Casablanca's wide variety of architectural styles provide eye candy walking down any downtown street. The Port area hosts a number of fine restaurants renowned for the fresh seafood Bedaouis enjoy, while the Corniche offers fun in the sun at numerous beach clubs. Anything you want to buy you can find in Casa. Pricy textiles destined for design centers of the West are created here. Want a reasonably priced custom color wool rug? Casa's the place. Need a tailor? Some plaster work for your ceiling? A carved cedar chest? All these and many more can be found in Casablanca.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you left Morocco with a dodgy whistle, a wooly rug and a tea chest crafted by an eleven-year old.

I�m dying for part two when he tells of all the women.
Noureli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod calm the f down. What really happened to you in Casa? really you've got me curious. I mean really, give it up. I'm not saying that Casablanca is for everybody and also it's far from being prefect but the way you describe it wow. Something must have happened. Really calm down.
foss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always eaten very well while staying with Moroccan friends. Sometimes restaurants don't fully reflect the country's cuisine and if it's a cosmopolitan mix you need, don't leave London.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Morocco Reply with quote

I did buy a number of carpets, and part of my house is decorated in Moroccan furnishings.I didn't settle for cheap stuff, as I took the time to find talented craftsmen. Sorry you turned up your nose without taking the time to find the best of Morocco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: