Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuba
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

Has anyone ever taught in Cuba? I know it's illegal for Americans, but we don't always have to do what we're told Wink

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: teaching in cuba Reply with quote

Holy heck. I'm really naive. I didn't know you guys couldn't TEACH there...

Is there a link to info regarding what Americans can and can't do in Cuba?

I seem to remember hearing something about the Cuban Missile(sp?) Crisis. But that was in the JFK era, and I'm not American.

Embarassed [/b]
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of my American buddies tried smuggling a bottle of cuban rum back into the US, which he bought in Guatemala in a supermarket. He was quite miffed when he read the label - it showed that the rum producer had won a prize at some rum competition in Miami, a couple of years previously.

Another American friend was considering visiting Cuba, apparently the custom officals offer passport supplements to USers which can be conveniently removed when they leave the country. However, my buddy was worried about the number of airline hijackings there were, starting from Cuba and ending up in the US. It might be wonderful for the Cubans to escape from Cuba, but if an American is found on one of these hijacked planes they receive about 7 years free accommodation. So I hear.

By the way I'm from Escocia.
Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
schminken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the US State Department:

http://travel.state.gov/cuba.html

Until I started traveling myself when I was 18, I didn't realize that people actually went to Cuba for vacation! Imagine my shock when my Canadian friend said, "Yeah, we're going down to Cuba for summer vacation." Ok, I was naive. I was a child. I listened to my government. But now I know better:)
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Going to Cuba Reply with quote

Yes, it�s technically illegal for American citizens to visit Cuba, unless you're going there for humanitarian or educational reasons (see the US State Department information sheet for all the exemptions). I believe you can be fined $50,000 for breaking that law. It�s difficult to enforce, of course. Has anyone heard of any prosecutions?
Importing Cuban products is a different matter. I read in the Lonely Planet guide to Cuba that many of the CDs you can buy in Cuba are actually made in Canada, so you shouldn�t have a problem taking them back home. Be sure to remove the price stickers first!
Education is strictly controlled by the Cuban government. Getting an official teaching post there is basically impossible. A major problem with teaching illegally would be finding anyone able to pay you, given that salaries can be as low as $10 a month. Yes, that�s $10 a month. A one-litre bottle of cooking oil costs around $2.40, which doesn't leave much for English classes.
Two friends of mine got unpaid work doing radio broadcasts, which got them a visa that allowed them to stay more than a year there. If you have the money, you can get a visa by enrolling on an academic course.
However you get there, it's definitely worth the effort.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Cuba PS Reply with quote

There�s a similar thread on the Caribbean forum. One of the contributors posted a couple of links that you may find useful.
dduck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuba PS Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
There�s a similar thread on the Caribbean forum. One of the contributors posted a couple of links that you may find useful.

Thanks grahamb, will check it out. Smile
Iain
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a few Americans one of which is a good friend, who studied Spanish in Cuba. It is illegal to be there, but they stamp a piece of paper rather than your passport specifically for Americans. You can go there via another country - Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, etc..

As to your question can Americans teach English in Cuba. You probably could, but I don't know how they would pay you. As a communist country, the government takes care of everyone about the same, meaning their basic needs are met, but not much more than that. So there isn't really 'disposable income' for extras like studying English. So in general, there isn't the kind of free-market enterprise going on with all the wealth that it involves, and all the rest.

I'd love to go there myself though..
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Spanish teachers once told me that she can't wait for Fidel to die, because she's been to every other country in the Caribe, and Cuba is supposed to be the jewel. Very beautiful with kind people./
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
One of my Spanish teachers once told me that she can't wait for Fidel to die, because she's been to every other country in the Caribe, and Cuba is supposed to be the jewel. Very beautiful with kind people./

She should go right away. They don't stamp your passport either if you are an American. The Americans that I know who have went there, loved it. Also, I think part of what makes Cuba a jewel is that its not over-run by tourists. If she waits until the embargo is lifted, she'll miss out on what makes it such a jewel.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Waiting for Fidel to die... Reply with quote

Naturegirl, tell your friend not to be so naive. I've been to Cuba five times (living with people in the countryside, not in some flash beach resort), and the only time I've seen Fidel in the flesh was at a public rally. He doesn't turn up at the airport to frisk or otherwise bother foreign tourists. I'm sure he appreciates the hard currency they spend there.
Cuba is a safe place to visit. Sure, you can get your bag snatched in La Havana, but that - or worse - can happen anywhere.
The water quality isn't what it could be, so it's a good idea to be vaccinated against Hepatitis A.
aubstew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Yes, this is true! I was there for two weeks and made many friends. Cubans are warm and honest and love to give salsa lessons!

The Tourism industry there is eager for native English speakers to teach, but I didn't see any native speakers teaching. It's an amazing place to visit, but would you really want to live there?
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: English speakers in Cuba Reply with quote

Why should the Cuban tourist industry employ native English speakers? There are many Cubans who speak English well. On top of that, the government isn't going to employ a foreigner when there are so many Cuban citizens unemployed/underemployed.
A girl from my friends' village gives guided tours of the Havana Club museum, but it's for tips only (in US dollars, of course). It's a good job for a Cuban, but I doubt that many natives would fancy it.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
U.S. Prosecuting Americans for "Crime" of Traveling To Cuba
From Associated Press, July 15, 2003, and Washington Post, By Peter Slevin, December 9, 2003.

More than 1,400 U.S. citizens have been notified in the past three years that they could be fined for their trips to Cuba, said a U.S. Treasury Department spokeswoman. For years, if accused violators refused to settle a case and requested a hearing, their cases all but died for lack of judges. But the Treasury Department recently recruited three administrative judges and started civil action in 90 dormant cases.

The rest of the article can be found at http://cubaclimbing.com/breakingnews.htm
VanKen

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: English speakers in Cuba Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
A girl from my friends' village gives guided tours of the Havana Club museum, but it's for tips only (in US dollars, of course). It's a good job for a Cuban, but I doubt that many natives would fancy it.

US dollars are the official currency for Cubans and foreigners alike when it comes to imported items and tourist-associated goods and services. Cuban pesos are still used in some places (ie. in smaller cities) but aren't accepted at all in the resort areas of the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: