Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contracts and Visas for Nets (and a map of HK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Contracts and Visas for Nets (and a map of HK) Reply with quote

First, I found two very good websites for an Electronic map of HK.
http://www.vectormap.com/eng/english.htm
Very useful....even shows where all the 7-11 and MCD's are....
http://www.ypmap.com/en/viewer.asp?mapService=LocationMap
Haven"t checked this one as much....

Secondly, I jst received the contract from the school and they want me to return it with the application for Visa form...which was NOT included in the contract package from the school. Any idea where that comes from?

Also, the medical...where is it best to do that? I am currently in Japan and am a mite nervous about Japanese medical care.

How long does the Visa take?

ONly 5 more weeks before the move...am excited ut slightly worried about getting everything done before leaving.

Thanks in advance everyone....
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster,

The Visa documentation comes from immigration. Try to dowload off their site. The medical is routine so get it in Japan. Things get easier once you get here (in terms of submitting forms) but the process is always complicated and time consuming.
But, the real fun begins when you teach...
So far, in four years, I have saved up $180,000 CDN and have travelled quite a bit.
Just go step-by-step in a forward fashion and things should go quite well. Don't be a hot head and get all stressed out. The worst possible thing is you get your visa processed here. Then, things will be OK.

Freddie
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The application forms can be downloaded from the following web site:
www.info.gov.hk/immd/english/topical/h/7.htm
A telephone contact if any concerns is:
Mr C.M.Wong ph 2829 3282
cheers,
Jenny
delian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: dependant visa (new changes) Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if this is useful for anyone but no one has mentioned it yet, so I thought I would. Supposedly, as of July 1, 2003, your dependants no longer have the automatic right to work or study in Hong Kong just because you have a work visa as a NET. This might mean something to those NETs bringing along spouses who think they might help supplement the household income. You can read about this new law here:
http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200306/30/0630199.htm
I checked with the EMB and sure enough I was told "For your information, starting from 1/7/2003, all the newly applied dependant visa holders cannot work in Hong Kong. For visa details, please call Mr C.M. Wong of Immigration Department at Tel No. (852) 2829 3284."
(Funny how I only found out about this AFTER I had agreed to work in Hong Kong. The other NET teacher at my school says that this new law had been kept very quiet until they passed it. My school didn't appear to know anything about it until I gave them the URL to the article.)
I guess that dependants would be able to get work if they can find someone who is willing to sponsor them for a work visa, but that's not going to be extremely easy right now, I don't think.

Maybe this won't be a big deal to most people, but it was a shock for me, and my 'dependant'.
munasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: dependant visa (new changes) Reply with quote

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200306/30/0630199.htm

To take effect from July 1, 2003: "(a) the age limit for unmarried dependent children applying to enter Hong Kong for residence as dependants would be lowered from under the age of 21 to under the age of 18;"

Rats ... I've already bought our tickets, planning to bring a 19 year old full time student with me. My school received my visa application on June 16, but did not submit it to the immigration dept until July 2. Looks as if I won't be able to bring a dependant 19 yo student with me. Does anyone know if one can apply for an exemption? When I applied, I was told full time students under 21 could come on dependant visas.
SJW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster: I received the contract and the Visa forms as separate mail.
I think that the visa forms were meant to get to me quicker
than they actually did .....but eventually turned up (courier) 10
days after the "last" (??!!) letter from the EMB which had
included info on PNET mentors , hotels , insurance and the
checklist.
arju

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: visa las honkers Reply with quote

hi all re the visas there is no great rush to get a visa in fact if you get them early then it is a pain the next year getting a new one whcih we all have to do so if you get the visa in september then you dont have the hassel in the second year of having a visa run out during the summer holidays.
in my case i got the visa in october as it took that long to get the contract and paper work completed by my base school. once you are in hong kong you can get the visa no problems.
something to think about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: