Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balkan Country - Croatia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRCourage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Balkan Country - Croatia Reply with quote

TOPIC: Balkan Country - Croatia

This is the place for helpful posts from those who have some first hand (or second hand) information about teaching opportunities (income or volunteer).

Those looking for teaching positions will be interested in teaching conditions, living conditions, safety concerns and any other factors regarding Croatia that come to your mind as being of concern, so please share freely....

All sorts of knowledge and experiences are welcomed.

Thank you for taking the time to share your accrued wisdom and gut reactions.
ToraGal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Lack on Info Reply with quote

I'm really suprised on the lack of information.
I just called the Croatian consulate in beautiful Vancouver here... and they told me " i think you can apply for a work permit once you get there"

Thats just awful to me, that they wouldnt even know- and even though my folks were born there- im feelin alittle jaded...

**has anyone worked in Croatia?**
Id like to go by Jan. When I lived in Japan, i worked for a school that had an office here in Vancouver, soo they did everthing for me. This leg work is frusterating coz theres no concrete info. My own consulate cant even help.

Cheers,
christina
CricketChirps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Google Reply with quote

I just now ran a Google search and found a number of contacts for language schools in Croatia, including some with contact information.

I would suggest looking with Search Engines instead of just hoping to find someone with the information you need.

All the information I have provided here is all things I learned with Google searches.

Cricket
ToraGal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: I see. Reply with quote

I'm not hoping, but I think if my own Croatian consulate can't even tell me if I have to get a visa here or there, then there is a slight problem.

I've googled my self to death... soo i was just looking for others personal insights.
It's an open forum with 1000's of users, soo i'm sure someone has something to say on their own experience working there.
Maybe I'll get a phone card, brush up on my Cro and start calling places over there.

Thanks. Smile
CricketChirps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used a search string of croatia "language school" esl

This is something (see below) that I found on the first page of results. The notice is old, but the agency should still have similar contact information. Contact the embassy if it is out of date.

As to finding out specific visa information, try the website instead of the local embassy. Did you just phone or write, or did you go there in person?

In another link that googled up, I found a contact for a government employee who spent time in Croatia with their own government's plan for ESL education, and who was involved in writing a report on a number of the Balkan countries.

The trick is to be creative ...

Croatia(Zagreb)
Qualifications / Skills Needed:
* Must have native speaker competence in English * Must have a university degree * Must have TEFL qualification, or the equivalent * Should feel that teaching is his/her career * Should enjoy working as a member of a team * Should want to develop his/her skills in Business English and Business Communication
Description: Positions available in Zagreb, Croatia starting 19 February 2003 and September 2003 for Experienced Teachers of English as a Foreign Language.
Salary / Pay: LANCON offers full employment (including healthcare and pension) and a competitive salary commensurate with the candidate's educational background and teaching experience. We also expect positions to become available for September 2001.

English Language Consultancy
Kumi�i�eva 10
Zagreb, 10000
Croatia
Phone: 01 485 4986
TheWanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: I see. Reply with quote

ToraGal wrote:
I'm not hoping, but I think if my own Croatian consulate can't even tell me if I have to get a visa here or there, then there is a slight problem.

Try and get one from your Croatian consulate, I don't see why they can't get it for you. Croatia is pretty open to foreigners coming in.

I wonder though, Croatia is pretty lax on a lot of things. I go there every summer and had lived there for 2.5 years. My sister had stayed there for 6 months last year without a visa or anything, just her US passport. Our parents are from Croatia, but my U.S.-born siblings and I are able to get a Cro passport/citizenship pretty easy. They never ask us any questions, we're free to do whatever. I'm speaking for those who at least have Croatian parents. If anyone has any experience/advice please share.

Hell, I don't even have car insurance when I'm there over the summer. I just make a donation whenever I'm pulled over.
teraysah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia last July looking for an ESL job. All I can say is at that time it was EXTREMELY difficult at best. For me at that time it was impossible and I happen to speak the language and have teaching experience! The former Yugolslav republics are very bogged down right now in politics and a poor economy. If you only want to volunteer and can live on your own savings or money left to you by a rich uncle-you stand a better chance. Most of the organizations try to hire one of their "own". Even if they're not a native speaker.
But, good luck in your search!
Teraysah
keepwalking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Croatia Reply with quote

I taught in Croatia about ten years ago, just as the hostilities were coming to an end and had a fantastic time. I returned a year later, when things were a little quieter, and had another great experience. The people are friendly, the coastline is stunning and the level of English amongst your students is high.

In terms of getting jobs, try the yellow pages to get e-mails for language schools. When I was there, people were desperate for native speakers but pay was 'local' so don't expect much. Most schools couldn't afford to advertise or recruit overseas and so e-mail applications would be the way to go.

If you are UK-based, try Services for Open Learning (SOL). They are a non-profit organisation based in Devon and they send teachers to eastern european/Balkan countries that can't afford to recruit/advertise in the UK. Google them, they are bound to have a website.

In terms of working visas, forget it. I had a similar experience to those recounted above when I went to the embassy in London. I ended up working on a tourist visa and crossing into Slovenia or Italy every 3 months to renew it.

It is worth sticking at it, and even going on spec. Croatia is a beautiful country - but it is hard work getting something sorted because it is a developing country (developing in terms of still recovering from the war and working hard to get back on level pegging with its european neighbours, not as in very poor) hiding in over-developed Europe

Hope that helps
H
eslchatter2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: A bit about teaching in Zagreb Reply with quote

Hi all,

I taught at private language schools for a couple years in Slovenia. I never taught in Croatia, but I knew some people who did.

For teaching in Slovenia, it takes quite a bit of paperwork and a couple trips to the Slovene consulate in Trieste, Zagreb, or Klagenfurt to get a working visa.

I'm not sure about the visa situation for people teaching in Zagreb. I think you could probably apply from the Croatian consulate in Ljubljana. You would probably have quite a bit of paperwork to do, but it wouldn't be impossible. Maybe just a few days of running around getting this and that paper.

I knew an American and an Australian teaching in Zagreb. I think they were working illegally. They got their jobs pretty easily. They just wandered around to some language schools and asked if anyone was looking for a teacher. They eventually found two part-time jobs that equalled enough work to live modestly on.

In Zagreb the pay is in general pretty low (for average Croatians and beginning ESL teachers)... people might earn about 600 USD per month (versus 1000 USD in Slovenia). But apartments and many other things are as expensive as in Ljubljana. An apartment for two would might cost 350-500 USD. So what I'm saying is that you could afford to live a basic lifestyle there, but you wouldn't have a lot of money for extra things unless you brought some money from the states.

I'm not sure about other parts of Croatia. There is a language school in Dubrovnik, I believe. But in general there aren't as many opportunities in other towns as ther are in Zagreb, I believe.

Best regards, and good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: