Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's the deal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PKB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: So what's the deal? Reply with quote

Is anyone finding work in Brazil? Making ends meet? Getting paid?

I hear so little from people who have actually managed to find work in Brazil.
portochuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: I did...and I know... Reply with quote

I did and I know many other Americans that have came to Brazil and make really good money.
bmaria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in Rio de Janeiro looking for a job. I arrived too late to get in on the beginning of the year, which is in February. I have found it very difficult to get work, even though I have a bachelors and a CELTA. Every single school I have contacted here has needed me to have a work visa, although without a contract, I can't get a work visa. To be completely honest, I've been here almost a month now and I doubt I would've lasted this long had my friend's mother not been an English teacher here in Rio. She has contacted all of her friends to no avail. And, one of her friends at an English course here told her that government officials just came by to check on everyone's papers. From this, I gather that the government is really trying to enforce the visa laws. I have only one job prospect at this point, and if I don't get that, I'm going home after travelling.

If you do want to get a job, try contacting some of the bigger courses, such as Cultura Inglesa and Britannia in August/September. Britannia hires in October and has a training process. They have all their teachers by the end of the year for the following year.

I don't want to be pessimistic, just research carefully and use contacts as much as possible. Hope this information helps. Good luck!
portochuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: strange Reply with quote

Being a native speaker...I think its strange that you cant find work, most of the schools that I talked to wanted me just for this reason...when I first started look for a job it was in the middle of the sem....but a few of them ask me to come back to help out at the school..and they paid me....then I was offered teaching jobs for the next sem.....I also found it fairly easy to find private students....

Second...I own my school now....and Ive never had the police come by my office...(Im in POA)..but my brother lives in Rio, and he also told me he thought this was strange....Not saying this isnt true...just strange.

bmaria- if you are looking for work and dont want to return home..maybe you should look at a different city....just a thought...
PKB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other forums or messages boards that EFL teachers in Brazil use? For such a large country this forum seems quite low on traffic comparerd to other countries.
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: try gringoes.com Reply with quote

There's www.gringoes.com Its not aimed specifically at ESL teachers, but it seems to have some relevant stuff about working in Brazil.
johnnymo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: life in the sun Reply with quote

Hi matey,

I would advise you to forget about teaching in schools, not unless you like peanuts-go for the private lessons, charge between 20/50 reis an hour.

Trust me........................i live and teach here.
Oh and there is a significant amount of "bullshit" around.

all the best.
j.
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: life in the sun Reply with quote

johnnymo wrote:
Hi matey,

I would advise you to forget about teaching in schools, not unless you like peanuts-go for the private lessons, charge between 20/50 reis an hour.

Trust me........................i live and teach here.
Oh and there is a significant amount of "*beep*" around.

all the best.
j.

A significant amount of what?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmaria wrote:
I am currently in Rio de Janeiro looking for a job. I arrived too late to get in on the beginning of the year, which is in February.

Actually I found the problem to be the opposite. Work is really hard to find from between Christmas to Carnival. Its festival time and no one wants to spend their extra income on english lessons - it goes to partying.

A couple weeks after Carnival.. everything settles down again.. and people start remembering that they wouldn't mind studying English once again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: