Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet, Phone, and Food Costs ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Internet, Phone, and Food Costs ? Reply with quote

I have been browsing old posts on this forum and it sounds as if I should be able to eat pretty well on 5,000 Kc/mo in Prague - is this true? Would this amount allow me to eat out very often, or would I be packing PB&Js everday for lunch?

Also, what are the going monthly rates for internet (wireless, cable, or DSL) in the apartment of my choosing, and how much does it cost to own a cell phone? Thanks for all the help, I appreciate all the advice.
icebear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd reccomend a prepaid cell phone. You can pick up a used standard feature Nokia or whatnot for around 1000 Kc, although some people went extra frugal and carried around that damn Nokia brick from 10 years ago for less. New phones with all the cameras and gadgets ran as high as 5,000 Kc if I remember correctly, but why get that for just a year? With Oskar (a service provider) the rates were around 3 Kc a minute I believe, and around that for text messages as well. You'll find that most people focus on sending long in depth text messages to keep in touch as opposed to using minutes. I think I averaged around 500 Kc a month on service, without any real efforts to check my usage.

Can't comment on internet since we had it free in our dorms. When you're there check out EXIT Club near the east end of the #9 line on Tuesday nights for fun parties with foreign students (around 1/3 North American and 2/3 EU) as well as Czechs.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could pay up to 300 for a nice meal in some central expat place, or way more than this if you just wish to - but you can also eat decent meals (once you find where to go and can handle menus in Czech only) for much less. Supermarkets are relatively easy to handle and you can find a pretty good variety of food to cook at home quite cheaply. You probably won't find much PB&J, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: