Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xuchang University Information Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle's Nest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Xuchang University Information Search Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone out there has had any information regarding Xuchang University in Xuchang City that can be shared here. I am intending to relocate to China for September in order to teach at a university. My hope is particularly for a south/southeastern university but was contacted by "Lizzy" about a position at this small university in Xuchang City (population of about 400 000). I am a retired teacher/administrator in Canada with a B.Ed., B.A., and M.Ed.

I look forward to any information and advice that may help my wife and I choose a new home away from home.

Robert
johnny49202

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: xuchang city/university Reply with quote

I found the campus to be very nice. Colleagues I worked with --many have left for other positions. Likely a couple of people still there. Xuchang City is small, but nice. Easy bus ride for groceries, etc. I don't do much nightlife, so can't share on that. FAO was amicable, helpful....Deans of both English Education and International School were very good people....I left to return to States b/c I had made a commitment to an institution at home. Had I not, I would have gladly stayed for several years at Xuchang U. Probably some institutions are better; some likely worse. I enjoyed Xuchang.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A population of about 400 000 is a very small city in China.
Almost a village.
If you are seeking Western amenities, then they may be difficult or impossible to find. If you are seeking a "real" China experience, then you will probably find what you are seeking.

You might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102273&highlight=henan
thechangling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this information from comments on a blog about said Uni needs to be made public:

anonymous said...
I had a very different experience after accepting a job earlier this summer and starting in the fall with the "awesome" Xuchang University. I was lied to by a certain Yangyang, who told me I could choose where to teach, in the International School, or the English majors. If I chose the International School, I could teach a literature course "Master Works of Literature." After travelling half of China from Heilongjiang province, I was told neither of these were possible. This was a prerequisite for me, since I hold two Masters degrees in Literature and don't wish to spend a year on Oral English.

But the bigger problem was the state of the apartment I was given to live in. Half of the equipment was broken or very old, holes in the walls, dirty, desk with broken drawers, last teacher's junk everywhere, dirty rag tucked in the folds of the coach, etc. I told them I would be travelling to Europe in August and September and this would give them ample time to repaint and replace some of the antiquated, broken equipment. I was promptly told to leave for complaining. They would "find another one."

This place is a shame to China and I'm hard pressed to understand what kind of juvenile, docile worm would say this is an "awesome" place. Who knows, maybe the students are great, but the administration is beyond evil. Yangyang, a twenty-something-nothing with no academic accomplishments aparently runs things. The Dean of the International School didn't respond to my emails outlining how I was lied to, lured halfway across China at my expense, promptly and arbitrarily fired by someone with no academic credentials. I could go into greater detail. I have photos of the apartment for anyone interested in a position at this school. Contact me at [email protected]

August 9, 2012 at 4:47 AM
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is often stated on this forum that the state of the apartment that you are given greatly reflects on how you will be treated.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
I think this information from comments on a blog about said Uni needs to be made public:

anonymous said...
I had a very different experience after accepting a job earlier this summer and starting in the fall with the "awesome" Xuchang University. I was lied to by a certain Yangyang, who told me I could choose where to teach, in the International School, or the English majors. If I chose the International School, I could teach a literature course "Master Works of Literature." After travelling half of China from Heilongjiang province, I was told neither of these were possible. This was a prerequisite for me, since I hold two Masters degrees in Literature and don't wish to spend a year on Oral English.

{...}

Why not make it really public and post a link to the source blog?
Toast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
thechangling wrote:

anonymous said...

{...}

Why not make it really public and post a link to the source blog?

First hit on google.

http://sinocopia.blogspot.com/2009/09/welcome-to-xuchang-university.html
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Toast. I read a bit of the blog and it seems the blogger had a good time but didn't sugarcoat much. A bit odd for the quoted response to come 3 years after the original post and then insult the blogger for liking his experience 3 years prior.

For any uni job, check with those currently working there or having just left and try to get an idea of both how they treat foreign teachers and what the accommodations are like. Nevertheless, be prepared for having a totally different idea of what acceptable is from the next guy. And meantime the boss may be replaced (they don't usually ask our opinion) and that could change everything, for better or worse.
Sunshine Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Xuchang University Reply with quote

The person dealing with Foreigners is a woman named Yang Yang. Not a particularly diligent person and not the right person for the job. Expect to get nowhere with her🙁 and my advise would be not to trust her. If you are teacher with qualifications, it would be advisable to find a better place to teach. Zhengzhou is nearby.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates from anyone about this school will be appreciated.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: There are better places. Reply with quote

Lesson number one, don't believe everything you read on the forums. If there are enough responses a consensus will emerge. Going to a city of 400, 000 is a bad idea especially if you aren't used to being alone abroad. I think China is a fascinatingt place to work but take your time in choosing a position and a location. I evaluate based on the following, pollution, location, typical student, contract, apartment, school representative, teachers who are returning. Right, money is the least of my concerns. PM me if you want more detailed advice but you're getting some on this thread.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
They sent my wife and I contract and it contained things that were...let's just say "quite unpleasant." When we pointed them out we were not contacted anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: