Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australia - requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zondervan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Australia - requirements Reply with quote

Currently considering teaching in Australia. I want to get my years visa so I can work and travel but don't want to do the whole fruit picking/working in bar thing that so many backpackers seem to do there.
I'm a 26 year old, white, single, British male. I have a degree in business from a good British university and 3 years English teaching experience (The JET Programme, Japan) and am curently considering CELTA courses in Asia.They all cost around 1500 USD. Most of the job ads I have read for various Australian schools require a degree and some kind of TEFL qualification.

My questions are as follows.

Are there any reputable schools that will hire me without a CELTA and pay me a decent wage?

By this I mean they will honour any contract with regards to pay, teaching hours and working conditions.I regard a decent wage as one that will allow me to pay for rent and food, go out on weekends and possibly save some cash to travel with.

If I had a CELTA qualification would the extra pay received for having it help me recoup my initial expenditure?

Can anyone recommend any good areas in and around Sydney?

i.e Plenty of jobs available and reasonable rent/ living costs. I expect this to be a popular destination and competition for jobs to be high, but I have family here who I would like to visit.

Any suggestions/ recommendations appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: