Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell schools in Liyba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Bell schools in Liyba Reply with quote

I'm considering taking on a job in Libya. Can anybody tell me what the Bell contract is like?
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: GECOL Reply with quote

I think it's the GECOL contract you're on about.I was in Libya for 18 months and the guy who left us to work for Bell soon came knocking on our door again.
Libya is a harsh place and you might go mad with their leave schedule.
They also deduct tax,so the salary isn't as ok as it looks.
Think very carefully...Libya sure aint the Gulf.
mouse5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Libya Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It certainly isn't worth "doing time" out here in the Middle East if you end up still having to pay tax in the UK.
Tomton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Bell and tax deductions Reply with quote

But if you work for BELL you will be able to recoup the tax deductions if you are classed as non-UK resident.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: wrong Reply with quote

if u r paid in the uk ...u pay uk tax as u are not non uk resident...the rules changed.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can show the UK tax authorities that you have lived outside the UK for a year you can have "UK tax free status"

Of course you should declare your earnings in your country of residence and pay tax there.

Every time I see "tax free salaries" it makes me smile a little. It may be free of tax obligations in the country where you are working, but, we, of course, declare our overseas earnings in our countries of residence ! !
kanterbrau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Bell Libya Contract - U.K. Tax Situation Reply with quote

U.K. Tax Situation - Bell Contract, Libya.

Be very careful with this one.

I would suggest that interested parties get the latest advice from the Inland Revenue before proceeding with an application. To the best of my knowledge it is still necessary to be out of the U.K for a full TAX YEAR i.e. April to April and not just any twelve month period. Bell deduct tax and FULL National Insurance at source and, as far as theyre concerned, that is the end of the story.

As regards obtaining a tax refund, this might not be quite as simple as some may think. I completed a contract for Bell in Libya some considerable time ago and I am still chasing a tax refund from the Inland Revenue.

As regards the Bell contract itself I cannot honestly comment on how it is being administered at the moment but when I was employed by them it was not exactly 'a happy ship'. The project was, in my opinion, poorly managed and characterised by frequent sackings and regular - not so - veiled threats that "dissenting voices" ( sic ) were not welcome.

This unfortunate atmosphere in the workplace, coupled with unrealistic workloads considering the calibre and motivation of the majority the students and quite unsuitable accommodation at some of the sites, inevitably led to low morale among teachers and a very high turnover of staff as dedicated and highly experienced teachers took their skills elsewhere.

In short, in my opinion, it was certainly not an experience worthy of paying income tax.

Good luck.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bell Libya Contract - U.K. Tax Situation Reply with quote

Kanterbrau is correct - info from the UK tax authorities is essential.

In my case, after living"abroad" for a number of years, one phone call to them was enough to obtain a statement that I have tax free status in the UK. They informed Bell in Cambridge and the tax that had been deducted from my salary in month 1 was repaid in my salary in month 2.

I also agree that the in-country management in my time was a disgrace. The "Country Manager" had certainly reached his level of incompetency. His immediate successor was apparently no better.

Much of the accomodation was dreadful, in hotels or hostels that were way below any European standards.

It could be a good contract. Unfortunately, in my time it wasn't.
kanterbrau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Bell, Libya Reply with quote

I couldn't have put it better myself. Peterbar. Certainly, my colleagues and I were angry at the way we were treated by Bell but more than that we were disappointed that what could have been a mutually rewarding contract was allowed to degenerate so rapidly and so completely.

The Bell management, both in-country and in the U.K., were quite simply not interested in listening to anything that they didnt want to hear. Even when not a single, solitary one of us applied for the post of Assistant Country Manager - despite the quite handsome paycheque attached - they still didn't take the hint.

On the plus side, I enjoyed meeting and working with some real professionals - who have all since moved on to better things - and Leptis Magna was quite an experience. But, in all honesty, it is still not a post I could recommend.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: