Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

huge list of stupid questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: huge list of stupid questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this is remarkably off topic, but I didn't know who else to ask... Embarassed

I have a growing list of dumb questions that I'd like to know the answers to before I leave sunny Australia for (hopefully) even sunnier Mexico. Like, will I be able to get my contact lenses there? How does renting an apartment work?

Does anyone know of a website that can help with these questions?

Thanks! Very Happy

Lozwich.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things vary greatly depending on where in Mexico you are, but of course, you're already aware of that.

I imagine if you end up in a remote area, it would be hard to find any type of reliable services including optometrists. If you're in or near a metropolitan area, it shouldn't be a problem. In Merida, for example, there's a plethora of optometrists and places which sell eye glasses and contact lenses.

As for renting a place to live, that can vary greatly even within one city. In Merida, most landlords require first month, last month, and a security deposit (which you'll never see again no matter in what condition you leave your apartment.) Some landlords also require a "contract fee" equal to the cost of one month's rent on top of all the rest. Those landlords are also usually lawyers, by the way. Some landlords also require an aval, someone who owns property and is willing to cosign your rental agreement.

At the risk of stereotyping here, I'll add that most landlords with experience renting to foreigners perfer to rent to foreigners, because foreigners tend to pay their rent, pay it on time, and don't literally destroy the rental property like many local renters do. Also, don't be surprised if you get a Mexican friend to call and ask the cost of rent, and he's told 1,500 pesos per month, and then if you call the same landlord (with your foreign accent,) the rent suddenly jumps up to 2,500 pesos per month.
inmexico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience thus far, you will have no problem with things like contact lenses. I spent the my first year in Mexico residing in a very small town of 16,000 people. I wouldn't say it was a remote place (only 30 minute drive to Queretaro City) but it had all the medical services.
As far as rent goes, in Guanajuato and Michoacan, landlords require first and last months rent. The latter acts as the deposit. I had no problems with the last apartment I rented.
It is always best to have a local person to help arrange the rental.
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks.. Reply with quote

Thanks! Now I'm sure I don't have enough money! Oh well.. something will happen, and if nothing else I'll have excellent stories to tell at dinner parties...

One more thing, which is a bit more personal, and might be best answered in a private message... But could a woman help out with information on a couple of other things I'll be needing on a fairly regular basis? Embarassed

Thank you!

Very Happy

L.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I'm sure I don't have enough money!

-lozwich

Cost of living varies a lot throughout Mexico. To be on the safe side, you should have enough funds available when you arrive to cover the settling-in expenses up front and keep yourself going until you can balance your budget with what you earn. People used to quote USD$2,000 as a safe amount, but with the country's inflation, I'm not sure if that's still an accurate figure.

You're biggest expense will be rent. In my previous post, I may have given a very negative impression of landlords in the city where I live. There are some decent ones out there. However, still take it as a bit of a warning. There are lots of landlords who'll try to overcharge you greatly on rent. Most locals believe that any foreigners who come to this country are incredibly rich; therefore, they can afford to pay a lot. Other foreign teachers are one of the best sources for locating decent, safe, reasonably priced apartments.

Enjoy the adventure. I'm sure you'll do fine!
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: female poster Reply with quote

I live in Toluca (just west of Mexico City)

One thing the gentlemen forgot to add is that if you want a furnished place (stove and fridge are considered furniture), rent goes up steeply. Im paying 2000 pesos for a really small furnished place. Which is OK right now as I do not know if I will stay more than the 2 years on my contract. I might even move out of that place before that. On the plus side, I paid only last months rent and a small deposit on my furniture to get the place.

Word of mouth is your best bet. $2000 US should be enough to get you started over here but have some kind of access to emergency funds from back home. Western Union is best but I have had a friend who has had problems with them...

So what questions do you have for a female poster?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Questions for a female poster Reply with quote

The question "Do you know any beautiful, rich, single Mexican women?" springs to mind!
Are my adjectives in the right order? I'm too tired to think straight at the moment.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: oh please! Reply with quote

Oh PUUULLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Oh please! Reply with quote

Well, you did ask!
Can I add "desperate" to that list of adjectives?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: yikes! Reply with quote

Ok boys, I'm going to out myself here...

I'm a girl. A person of the female persuasion. And just for the sake of argument, heterosexual.

Not looking for women for (ahem) that. Just wise in the ways of men, and know that when us chicks talk about things that happen to us once a month your heads start to explode.

Unless you do happen to know the best brands of sanitary protection, and how I go about getting the pill???

Razz

Lozwich.
Otherwise known as Lorraine.
Wink
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Girl talk Reply with quote

Funny, I thought it was the women who exploded... no, no, don't say that!
Okay, before the hate email arrives, I know it's no laughing matter.
Female sanitary products and the Pill are definitely not my forte.
Exit stage left!
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: female stuff Reply with quote

sanitary supplies are no problem if you are anywhere near a town/city. They carry local and US brands. The US brands are a bit better, esp if you need extra protection. (listening to guys' brains exploding)

As for the pill -- I dunno. Too old for it and not even thinking about sex these days... Shocked but I can try to find out. I do know that pharmacies carry condoms and spermicide.[/code]
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from all the advertising for sanitary napkins, tampons, and feminine hygiene products, I'd say all the popular brands available in the USA are also available in or near any metropolitan area in Mexico.

As for the Pill, again in or near any metropolitan area there shouldn't be a problem. If you're already on the Pill, you should be able to get the same thing in local pharmacies. If not, a consultation with a doctor at any decent clinic should get you what you need.

Other modern methods of birth control are readily available, although they do tend to seem rather expensive when compared to most other things on a cost-of-living scale.
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I finally got all my exams graded so I can give this ago. And as the regular poster living in the most remote area (that's how it seems anyway) I'll give this a go. Better than a personal message so that other readers can know the info to.

The major US brands of sanitary supplies are available even in small towns with the exception of (close your eyes guys) tampons. Tampons are only sold in pharmacies, where as pads are in every corner store. And towns with a population of less than 10,000 don't usually have pharmacies which explains why small cities like mine (population about 50,000) have a pharmacy on every street--not only are they serving the 100,000 who live in town but another 50,000 who live in the surrounding towns and villages. Tampons are also about five times more expensive (I might be worth filling half your suitcase up with bulk purchased stuff before coming down in case you end up working for peanuts.)

You can just walk into the pharmacy and buy an array of birth contro--but I'd recommend consulting with a doctor first as they all have different names here and there is a lot of variety in the doses and such. In addition to many kinds of pills, there are also patches, and monthly injections. Some forms are rather expensive but some are quite cheap (as little as 50 pesos a month). Unfortunately, a large portion of the population have misinformation about birth control. They also have different ideas about the types of comments that are appropriate to strangers or casual aquantances. So be prepared to be told that taking the pill will make you steril (pharmacy staff or even Surprised doctors Surprised might tell you this).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: