Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Budapest - information for those interested
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Track2370

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the helpful reply. doesn't cetp also take care of providing housing (included in the initial costs)? in places outside of budapest, what's the expat community like?
BloodyIrish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track2370 wrote:
thanks for the helpful reply. doesn't cetp also take care of providing housing (included in the initial costs)? in places outside of budapest, what's the expat community like?
actually your school takes care of your accommodation, not cetp, but its all the same to you. this is good, because you dont have to pay rent, or your heating and electric bills, but still get a full teacher's salary, which is why money tends not to be a problem. this applies no matter where in the country you are. i was even able to pick my own flat, given a budget to do so, but that was because my school was not organised on that front. most of them own a flat for the purpose. in budapest, as ive said, your accommodation will most likely be in a teacher hostel, which means it will look alright but you are under surveillance. others just get a flat near their school (incidentally, my girlfriends flat was nowhere near her school in budapest), or in at least one case, a flat IN their school building, which was actually a really great place. so its hard to tell how youll fare. as for expat scene, well, its a big question. with cetp you do at least get to know a few expats. budapest is basically full of them. other places vary. eger, szeged, miskolc (dump) and debrecen all have a few around, others you may be few in number, or like me you might be the only one around (unless you include US military who stayed after the kaposvar NATO base closed).
Track2370

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For private language schools, how much can one expect to make per month given minimal qualifications (tefl cert and degree)? I realize that the average rate is between about 1600-2000 forints per hour and that the monthly total varies a lot based on how much time you're willing to put in, but I was just wondering approxmimately how much one can expect for a standard work week in Budapest. Thanks!
jdenn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track2370 wrote:
For private language schools, how much can one expect to make per month given minimal qualifications (tefl cert and degree)? I realize that the average rate is between about 1600-2000 forints per hour and that the monthly total varies a lot based on how much time you're willing to put in, but I was just wondering approxmimately how much one can expect for a standard work week in Budapest. Thanks!

I think making $800US a month is around average. In my best month, I worked nonstop, and I pulled $1000.
The problem is getting over 25 or so teaching hours. If you're freelance, you lose a lot of (potential) teaching time schlepping around the city. And if you're only teaching adults, then you're hours are generally restricted to before and after their work days.
ytuque

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Any alternatives to CETP? Reply with quote

I would be interested in teaching at a public school in Hungary, but paying a fee of $2500 USD to earn $500 USD per month isn't very appealing. Are there any alternatives?
CaPow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track2370: Better language schools pay between 2200 and 2600 HUF an hour, but the real money comes from private students... as long as they show up! Wink
SF21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CETP just told me that they have placement in Hungary public schools (mostly outside Budapest)...and while their contract schools provide housing, the rate is only $500 USD/month. Can you live on that???
Track2370

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can live on that because the school CETP sets you up with pays for your flat and all utilities. So in the end the salaries can be comparable enough to justify going through CETP.
Asynca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm, well, I've never heard of any school ever paying for an apartment in Hungary, or even Eastern Europe, so I'm afraid you're probably out of luck with that.

I've had a different experience to everyone here, it seems. I worked for a year 2004-2005 in Salgotarjan in northern Hungary. The school paid me VERY well (175000 forint pcm, + an extra pay in January for some reason), and paid for my accomodation and all my bills separately. Basically I was rolling in dough compared to your average Hungarian; I had plenty of money to travel around on weekends.

I'm Australian and had some serious problems getting a working permit (namely needing to exit the country, have a full physical, and jump through a number of other hoops in nearby Slovakia), but the school was very helpful.

I wouldn't go back, I don't think - I much prefer Australia - but Hungary was an excellent place to teach and despite how difficult it is to get jobs in government schools, I'd absolutely recommend trying.
SF21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any Budapest bars that show NFL/American football? Thanks.
Cbad Chad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Sports stuff Reply with quote

There was some bar that catered to U.S. sports bar tastes, near Corvin off Terez Kt. (4 and 6 tramline). The "Ox and Bow" was it's name I think.

If you contact the English newpspaper, The Budapest Sun, they will surely give you directions to a bar of that sort. They are on the web and in town.

As for jobs and apartments and stuff: I worked in Budapest from 1999-2001 and then from 2002-2003.

Most employers paid about 3000 forint for 90 minutes of work. Private lessons usually paid more like 4000 forint for an hour. They were not usual because the average Hungarian can't afford it. But agencies are constantly trolling for adept teachers and "experts" in English that can help people understand and communicate. Corporate and governmental organizations fund mass classes that a great variety of private language schools service.

Children are also an option for teachers in this region. There are a few preschool employers often in need, and teachers of children are in need by local and private schools. The pay is often not so seductive. I worked for a private school that defied this reality, thankfully.

Secondary teachers have an easier job finding employment.

As for living arrangements, this can be difficult. Apartments in Budapest can be overpriced in the heart of town, or none-existent unless you know the right person. There are agencies that you can pay to "help" you find a place to live. I hired one and it ripped me off. I found a flat through a friend of a friend.

Which is easy to find. There are a ton of people who would like to speak to you and practice English - but they also can hook you up with a sweet flat. Happily.

That is what is great about Budapest. It is easy to make friends because you have a commodity that everyone already wants: knoweldge of English. It is essential to make friends because they have a commodity you want: a flat for let!

A match made in Heaven!

Would I go to Hungary again?

Was John Paul 2 a Pol?

What a wonderful place, people, and perspective - you will love it.

That's my opinion. For more specifics I'll answer any q's y'all gots. . .
Cbad Chad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: P.S. Reply with quote

The school I worked for the first two years, I would suggest to any teacher interested: It was SEK Hungary, a private school in Budapest associated with SEK International School systems based (now) out of Boca Raton. Not to say there are not problems. But it paid well and is not so different from any other school for children in which I have worked.

Back in the day it paid 360 thousand forint, but taxes were not factored (as that they don't apply the first two years in that capacity). It was a great wage then and at 1800 hundred dollars U.S., it is not bad. I don't know if they still ofeer this, but would be surprised to hear they went less.

Sometimes I regret I left at that point. It's a pretty cool school.

After that I worked for Danubius Language School and enjoyed a part time employment status with a very good support system in the heart of beautiful Budapest (and it is beautiful). The pay was the 3000 forint per ninety minutes. It was easy and sufficient. The students were not children but adults. The lessons did not require a lot of classroom management and student problems. Lessons just neeeded to be interesting, useful, and fun.

Adult classes mean you don't usually have to be a cop.

So I suggest the experience for any who are interested. The newspaper the Budapest Sun is a great resource for jobs. And I am happy to help in any questions beyond this . .
SF21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbad Chad, thanks for sharing your Budapest experience. Good info.
Cbad Chad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: No problem Reply with quote

Or "chemi nem buy" or some such thing.

I think I will be there again soon.
k8steele

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: summer work in Budapest? Reply with quote

I am considering moving to Budapest in June. Will I be able to find work or should I just wait until August/September?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: