Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Nordic Countries
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neveah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Nordic Countries Reply with quote

I graduated last year and I would like to teach overseas. I know that nearly everyone wants to go to Europe, but I haven't heard many people talk about working in the Nordic countries. I guess that less people are interested in going there, so there may be less competition. Can anyone tell me how I can get a good job in any of these places? You can pm me if you want. Thank you.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the standard of English teaching in most schools is so high that there is minimal demand for foreign English teachers.

However Olivia asking about Sweden seems to have an in to that country. Try asking her.
GF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and half of the planet want to work in the Nordic countries. I taught in Sweden as part of a teacher exchange and can tell you that their level of English is no myth. Most of the Swedish teachers I met could speak better English than many 'native speakers' can. To get work there, you have to have excellent qualifications and experience, know somebody, or be incredibly lucky. Good luck.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
You and half of the planet want to work in the Nordic countries. I taught in Sweden as part of a teacher exchange and can tell you that their level of English is no myth. Most of the Swedish teachers I met could speak better English than many 'native speakers' can. To get work there, you have to have excellent qualifications and experience, know somebody, or be incredibly lucky. Good luck.

Ditto on that; it often boggles the mind to see how North American newbies pose their cute questions; to the original poster, yes what everyone else said and there is a reason why there is no Nordic forum here...sheesh...
Shaman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a good job, a BEd/PGCE is the ticket you need. There is a dearth of language mills around here for a reason.
neveah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on that; it often boggles the mind to see how North American newbies pose their cute questions; to the original poster, yes what everyone else said and there is a reason why there is no Nordic forum here...sheesh...[/quote]

Your rude comments were not helpful and not neccessary. I am speaking from my own personal experience. I asked the questions because I wanted more information. I was not trying to be rude, so you did not have to be condescending and self-righteous. I don't think that I'm better than foreigners just because I am an African-American. You are not better than me just because you are not American, so drop the nasty attitude.

I want to say thanks to all of the polite people that gave helpful advice. I am certified to teach high school language arts. Do you think that would help me?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, neveah. But quite a lot of the negativity is because it really is difficult to impossible to land jobs in Scandinavia. And people do ask the question pretty frequently.
Quite honestly, I have ten years of experience in teaching ESL/EFL, a BEd. (no PGCE), and an MA in TESL/TEFL and I can't find a job in Scandinavia. Your high school language arts certification probably won't help much.

It's like working legally in the EU without an EU passport. Maybe one person in a thousand finds a way to pull it off.

We have to give general advice on this forum. It's impossible to say that you (specifically) could never find a job in Scandinavia. It's just that the chances really are nearly nil - you'd have to find some special situation that no one here could predict, based on our general knowledge of the job market in the Nordic countries.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Sorry, neveah. But quite a lot of the negativity is because it really is difficult to impossible to land jobs in Scandinavia. And people do ask the question pretty frequently.
Quite honestly, I have ten years of experience in teaching ESL/EFL, a BEd. (no PGCE), and an MA in TESL/TEFL and I can't find a job in Scandinavia. Your high school language arts certification probably won't help much.

It's like working legally in the EU without an EU passport. Maybe one person in a thousand finds a way to pull it off.

We have to give general advice on this forum. It's impossible to say that you (specifically) could never find a job in Scandinavia. It's just that the chances really are nearly nil - you'd have to find some special situation that no one here could predict, based on our general knowledge of the job market in the Nordic countries.

I don't think that the chap even knows about work restrictions for non EU-ers in Europe and I think that is where his questions should have started...
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I graduated last year and I would like to teach overseas. I know that nearly everyone wants to go to Europe, but I haven't heard many people talk about working in the Nordic countries. I guess that less people are interested in going there, so there may be less competition. Can anyone tell me how I can get a good job in any of these places? You can pm me if you want. Thank you.

Maybe, the OP should do a little research before posting. Then he or she won't come off as an idiot. If you post uninformed questions people are likely to make fun of you.

I would laugh if some German, Korean, etc who only had a B.A. and no experience thought they could get a professional job in the U.S.
neveah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the chap even knows about work restrictions for non EU-ers in Europe and I think that is where his questions should have started...[/quote]

Look you fool, I am a female, not a male. Rolling Eyes

What is up with some of the rude and ignorant people on this board? I politely asked for advice because I am new, and all of these idiots disrespect me. I don't even know who you people are. I never did or said anything bad about you, so you don't have to treat me like garbage. Since you have nothing else better to do with your lives than abuse other people, you can go screw yourselves.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to be both reasonable and informative. I offered no disrespect. However, I'm now entirely turned off by the latest post. Hopefully the mods will close the thread.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should read for information before they post. Simple really.
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
People should read for information before they post. Simple really.

word up G
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, people should read up before asking really basic questions. But they often don't.
I can tolerate ignorance, naivete, whatever.

But this OP has called people who responded to her fools, ignorant, and rude and told us to go to hell.
That's a chip on the shoulder beyond the norm.

I still say, close the thread.
Neveah's unlikely ever to open it again, anyway, since we've disrespected her Highness so egregiously.
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Of course, people should read up before asking really basic questions. But they often don't.
I can tolerate ignorance, naivete, whatever.

But this OP has called people who responded to her fools, ignorant, and rude and told us to go to hell.
That's a chip on the shoulder beyond the norm.

I still say, close the thread.
Neveah's unlikely ever to open it again, anyway, since we've disrespected her Highness so egregiously.

word up on that one too G Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: