Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racism in CR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guppy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Racism in CR Reply with quote

My partner is Korean. Are there many Koreans or other Asians in the Czech Republic. Is racism a problem?
kvido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: racism Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "a problem".
People will just assume she's a vietnamese vendor. No overt racism, but perhaps subtle expressions of superiority. After all, the vietnamese were refugees and in pretty sorry shape when they arrived here. Or perhaps they might think she's Chinese and owns a chinese restaurant.

People just don't have any reference to Korea except as a country they sent food to during communism, but that was North Korea.
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Racism Reply with quote

There is a lot of racism in much of Central and Eastern Europe.This,(in the Czech Republic),manifests itself in their attitude towards the 'Roma'.In Poland it's anti Russian and in Eastern Germany it's foreigners in general.Nevertheless you don't need to panic.Precautions that you would take in any big city should ensure your peaceful stay there.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Racism Reply with quote

You will find Racism everywhere. The stories about East Germany (the former GDR) have been blown out of all proportion by newspapers in the UK and US, desperate to point fingers at those evil Germans. Personally I would have said that urban areas of England are pretty racist.

If you go to China or the Czech Republic or the Ukraine or wherever, do not expect the same liberal veneer of poltical correctness that you may experience in the Yookay or Yooess.

And anti-gipsy feeling is prevalent throughout Europe, East and West.
St Vitus

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Racism Reply with quote

I worked in the country for a year. The country has a large Vietnamese population who are generally well respected. It is a myth that the Czechs are racist and xenophobic - they simply have problems with their own Gypsies. People for the Indian sub-continent may run into trouble until they reassure the locals that they are not Czech Gypsies. It appeared to me that people from the Far East were generally considered to be exotic and therefore interesting.
bnix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Has Kvido Been "Paroled"? Reply with quote

Hi,Kvido.I thoguht you had been banned or something.Anyway,that was the rumor being bruited about.How are things in Brno? Bomber
Sigma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard and saw racist acts directed toward African soccer players in the Czech Republic.

At one game, about 30 people left during the second half because one of the African players entered the game.

However, this is a small minority of people. As someone mentioned earlier, there are a surprising number of Asians in the Czech Republic.
counpk39

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone felt racial discimination in the hiring practices of ESL schools? I am considering taking an ESL or CELTA course in Prague and would like to possibly teach in the CR. I know that there will always be the possibility of local curiosity or fear of outsiders...I deal with that here in the US.

I just do not wish to spend money training in a country where the schools would not hire me (because I am African-American).
merlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

African American is no problem. Racists often get consolation by saying "I'm not raciist because I don't hate ____." African American goes in the blank in this case.
kid eh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as an Indo (Gandhi, not Geronimo, as Jon Stewart says) - Canadian, am I screwed? I'm a native speaker, born here and more Canadian than Indo in everything but the colour of my skin. I'm really drawn to Eastern Europe but I'm worried about this. I assume that hearing me speak would be enough to convince someone I'm not Roma...
merlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indo appearance should be no problem, particularly if your accent is more canadian.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Poland you won't have any problems here , just curious stares.

Besides Prague is a headache.

Gregory
merlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you won't have any problems here

Interesting promise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: