Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME IN HONG KONG/HISTORY AND PRESENT STATUS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne Light Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: WHAT HAPPENED TO ME IN HONG KONG/HISTORY AND PRESENT STATUS Reply with quote

Dear Kmerhit,

Thank you for your letter and I wish you all the luck in the world in Toronto. Remember Kipling's poem: "What is the real truth? I asked in musing mood....Each heart holds the secret. Kindness is the word."

I'm posting the following here because I don't know how else to post it on this forum.

Below is a brief summary of my experience as a teacher in the Hong Kong School system as a PNET Scheme teacher. Also is a copy of corespondence between the manager of that scheme and myself.

I am a Canadian teacher and writer who has taught English as a Second Language in five Canadian provinces, Martinique, South Korea and Brunei.

From August, 2002 until March, 2003, I was a government Primary English Teacher at St. Patrick's School and St. Patrick's Catholic Primary School in Hong Kong. I spent a great deal of time, effort and expense acquiring this job (as anyone in Canada I had to contact numerous times for records of teaching experience (back to Methuselah) knows). I have had to become quite verbal about myself because of my experience in Hong Kong and am not that comfortable listing my accomplishments but, since beginning to write here, I realize many people get a strange idea about who I am. I am doing this to try to strengthen the position of Expat teachers in Hong Kong and to ask the PNET Scheme to pay out my contract as compensation for my suffering because of their wrongful deployment, their uncaring attitude toward me, their chalk soldier, and to stop me from carrying on this campaign to a global readership where Hong Kong's reputation could be seriously damaged, even more than it is now with the media fuss over Bill 23.

Teachers, both local and, in my case, are a prime example of an unprotected group vulnerable to abuse and suffering handed down by the hardball authorities. In the case of schools, I don't even know why the government needs a Bill 23. They can do what they will with teachers. The authorities of the PNET Scheme are just the latest example of people unwilling to go out on a limb for their workers.

During my time in Hong Kong I:

- worked an average of twelve hours a day
- wrote and produced eight plays with Primary four-six students; taught a young local teacher how to teach drama
- led a student choral group of fifty to third place (out of thirteen schools) in the English Choral Speech Festival (school's first time to enter a choral group to this competition)
-developed two team teaching simulations to carry out outside the classroom
-wrote, drew and developed some hundred giant maps, board games, and language experience cooperative exercises for Pr. 4-6
-developed a penfriend program with eight schools in Canada
and on and on...

In return I was brought before three kangaroo courts where my character and performance were completely destroyed by two English Department Heads (My Advisor Teacher and Assistant Project Manager did nothing to prevent this horror show)

My country, Canada and eight hardworking Canadian teachers, who believed in "penfriends" and went out of their ways to start up this project, were ridiculed in front of me by my vice- principal as she criticized the beautiful heartfelt letters from the Canadian students, saying "The Canadian students are really messy writers. I can't even read what they wrote."

I was asked about my religion on at least five occasions and told that I should attend the Catholic church..

My students' beautiful illustrated stories mysteriously went missing just before their books were going to be inspected.

I was regularly verbally abused and insulted by English Department Head who has no university degree ...and on and on.

I tried unsuccessfuly to have my contact hours-16; number of students-over 600; and number of classes- 20 reduced. (I was only supposed to be spending one-third of my time teaching with curriculum development and working with teacher training the other two-thirds. Then, of course there was lesson plans and correcting.)

I spent over $2,500 seeing counsellors and Drs. from January onwards to address the despair and hurt I felt in this system.

I eventualy lost my confidence, energy and belief in humanity after being in Hong Kong for this period so left, leaving half of my belongings and all my teaching materials (developed over eight years in four countries).
I now rake leaves in my backyard and pray that I will get better and that God will help me leave this experience behind.

But first I have to state my story and hope that others who can identify or feel moved by my experience will speak up to the Director, the Minister and, if no response is forthcoming, to the Press, to warn others to not let this happen again to teachers who are vulnerable and trying to put their best foot forward while adjusting in a new country and trying to help students.

If you see fit to help me, please write to the director, Simon Tham ([email protected] or [email protected]), and state that you feel I should be compensated for my suffering by paying out my contract. If you receive no response from them indicating they are willing to do so, please write to your hometown newspaper (search for e-mail through Gooogle) and the Hong Kong South China Morning Post ([email protected]>) stating your feelings at such a treatment being handed out to a teacher of twenty years' experience invited to Hong Kong by the government to inspire students in learning English. If I receive my contract paid out, I will donate 50% of it to educational projects in developing countries through MATCH International and Oxfam.

If you would like pictures of my work to verify the above, pleae write to me.

Yours sincerely,
Joanne Light Miller
B.A., B. Ed., B.F.A., M.A. Cert. In Applied Linguistics and TESOL

CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN PNET MANAGER AND ME

Dear Mr. Wardlaw,

I am responding to points in your recent letter (your text in quotes).

"I am concerned that you feel you received no response from me arising from your letter and package sent to me in March this year. On the contrary I have noted three separate extended phone calls with you; one prior to and two after the arrival of your letter."

I had to phone you to get any word from you. I have never received a proper written response addressing my points or answering my request for my contract to be paid out. As manager of a billion dollar programme, you are amiss to consider your correspondence so lightly as to not answer it.

"I arranged directly for Mr Simon Tham, CCDO(NET) and Ms Dawn Irvin from the Advisory Teaching Team to meet with you, both school principals and English panel chairs and Professional Teacher Union representatives so that a restart could be arranged in the school following the sick leave taken during that time."

Yes, this meeting as you call it; (I call it a kangaroo court where nine or more people were all alligned against me and went through the same character defamation as I had previously endured at another meeting (which caused me to seek medical help)). I was told by VP Rosana Ng that, if I didn't attend this last meeting, I would be breaking my own contract and would not be paid. I have two children in university. I can't afford to not get paid. I attended against my Dr.'s advice.

"I understand you attended school for a short time after that meeting, but did not sustain your professional engagement."

I had to attend school to get paid. To be in the presence of the person who had verbally abused me for seven months was something no professional would advise. I did it for my children's survival.

"The school principal at your base school has since taken appropriate action. These include formal communications relating to your employment. I understand there has been no response from you to these processes."

I was advised by doctors to have no contact with these people again

"I am also concerned that the tenor of your email and the assertions contained in it may contain statements that are not true and reflect on the integrity of all those who have been involved in trying to make your employment in Hong Kong a productive professional experience."

Your mention about your "concern" about the integrity of others is interesting when you consider how little anyone cared about what was happening to me. It's an interesting tactic to change the victim in a deft verbal smokescreen. Remember, I wasn't victimizing students or teachers. I was doing my job. I was the victim. I wouldn't be taking all this time and energy if I had been given even basic treatment as a human being by my supervisors. If PNET scheme personnel had been doing their jobs by focusing on the results I was getting and how deplorable my deployment and working conditions were instead of on the bureaucracy and school politics that undermine good teaching practise, and had been explaining to these HK schools what the Curriculum guidelines demanded and how we PNETs knew how to implement starategies and practises to address these theoretical ideas, I wouldn't have to speak out now for the principles I was educated to adhere to as a teacher. If you were the concerned person you describe yourself as (Words are so cheap, aren't they?), why did I never get one word in a letter from you when I was so desperate for support. All the people in PNET did was cover their own behinds and follow the party line. There was no consideration of the human life of the worker who was being wrongly deployed in a program that local teachers and administrators didn't understand or want; where inexperienced and self serving teacher advisors showed no compassion and sent character defaming reports with no signature (spoken by abusive panel chairs) directly by email without even a word of support or caring and then all they can say is, "It's out of my hands now." When noone would listen when I said that it was impossible to mark over three hundred workbooks plus bring new strategies in ESL into the school plus write all the lesson plans plus make the materials for over 600 students during sixteen hours contact time in 20 classes with 18 different teachers! When the Asst. PM said things to me like "I don't think you're cut out to be a PNET!", was she concerned about my integrity ( I thought a PNET was someone who worked and succeeded with students and teachers who wanted to learn new ways--I did that. I was cut out to be a PNET. I just got no support for the program or for my well-being from the political structure busy trying to protect itself.

"I am sorry your engagement as a PNET in Hong Kong has not worked out as well as you and the schools would have wished it to be."

I think you are wrongly minimizing the damage the misapplication and misunderstanding of this programme has caused me; eight teachers and over a hundred students in Canada who were insulted by the VP at St. Patrick's School ; and to the six hundred students who were deprived of the exciting programmes I was delivering to them, not to mention the emotional upset of losing their Mrs. Miller who I think they knew cared about them and their education.

By the way, I have documentation of every one of my "possible untruths" as you vaguely word it. I have no doubt whose integrity has been destroyed here. I have the memos, the times/dates, quotes and abusive memos from English Panel Chairs; reports and hundreds of letters from my students who said how much they loved my classes, the plays, the penfriends, the improvs, the story writing, the cartoon strip writing, the songs, the funny faces, the dressing up--the joy and fun learning English can be.

I have never been a teacher who talks about herself. I have been forced to talk alot about myself because of the hurt and anguish this experience caused.

I want my contract paid out (I will donate 50% to educational projects through Oxfam and MATCH International--reputable charities )and an apology to my colleagues in Canada, the Hong Kong teachers who liked me and wanted to work with me and were deprived of this opportunity (as I was deprived of working with them (by the scheme's and school's tolerating of abusive Panel Chairs and wrongful expectations and deployment of the PNET Scheme)) and to me. I liked most of the HK teachers very much. It's the politics in Hong Kong which are very, very wrong.

From here, I will be sending an expose of the PNET scheme to all websites advertising for foreign ESL teachers; to newspapers and television stations around the globe; to embassies and school boards warning teachers to avoid Hong Kong.

I have written and published three books; two teacher's curriculum guides; and countless newspaper articles. I am a respected writer in Canada and in Who's Who in Canada. I may even write a book about this infringement on civil liberties and misdirectment of taxpayers monies called the PNET Scheme.

I suggest you consider settling this with me right here and now before the press gets ahold of it and follows up. I don't mind being controversial. It's better than being abused.

Maybe next time you won't take primary teachers so lightly. Just because we are gentle beings who can communicate with children doesn't mean we can be dismissed as lightweight and disposable commodities.

Yours sincerely,

Joanne M. Light Miller,
B.A., B.Ed., B.F.A., M.A. Adv. Cert. in Linguistics and TESOL

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joanne Light [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: 2003/6/16 [�˜Ÿ�œŸ�€] �‹�ˆ 04:14
> To: WARDLAW, Christopher
> Cc: THAM, Simon SM; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: DehumanizHong Kong Primary Native English Teacher Scheme Destroys Ex-Pat Teacher
>
>
>
> DEHUMANIZED HONG PRIMARY NATIVE ENGLISH TEACHER SCHEME DESTROYS EX PAT TEACHER
>
> (contact Joanne Light Miller for complete story)
>
> Current Letter to Manager of PNET Program
>
> Chris Wardlaw,
>
> Manager, PNET SCheme,
>
> Education Manpower Bureau,
>
> Hong Kong Government,
>
> Hong Kong
>
>
>
> June 16, 2003
>
>
>
> Dear Mr. Wardlaw,
>
> I am still waiting for you to respond to the package and letter I sent to you in March regarding the abyssmal treatment I received while serving as a PNET (Primary Native English Teacher)at St. Patrick's School and St. Patrick's Catholic Primary School. As a result of the abuse I endured for seven months at these schools (as I mentioned in detail and with substantiated proof in my letter to you), I have not been able to resume working at the level for which my background qualified me. In short, the Hong Kong PNET Scheme destroyed me.
>
> I assume that your silence indicates that you think the value of a human life is zero and that what happened to me in HK as a PNET is of no interest to you.I am sure Simon Tham would concur, having been in attendance at the kangaroo court held at St. Patrick's School for the sole purpose of destroying my character and professional reputation, that I was indeed a victim of vindictive, abusive, inhuman individuals, namely the panel chairs at the two schools.
>
>
> I can't believe you can be in such denial about the destructiveness of these schools to me that you cannot even see fit to communicate with me and offer me some compensation for my suffering.
>
> What an inhuman, uncaring hypocritical programme the PNET scheme is. The media may like to hear my story. I have copied this letter to various newspapers. I am compiling a list of hundreds of newspapers and TESL sites to warn teachers of going to Hong Kong to teach.
>
> If this is how Hong Kong treats qualified teachers, who have come to contribute to the education system, at great expense, from Australia, New Zealand, Britain, South Africa, Canada and other countries, perhaps others like me should be warned about the lack of humanity in this abyssmal school system. I will be warning everyone I can think of unless you can compensate me for my ordeal by paying out my contract.
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Joanne Light Miller
>
> B.A., B. Ed., B.F.A., M.A. Advanced Cert Applied Linguistics and TESOL
Joanne Light Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Letter should read $2500.00 Canadian dollars or $12,000 HK Reply with quote

The original letters should have added that the figure $2500.00 is in Canadian dollars which is $12,000 HK dollars
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing this to try to strengthen the position of Expat teachers in Hong Kong and to ask the PNET Scheme to pay out my contract as compensation for my suffering because of their wrongful deployment, their uncaring attitude toward me, their chalk soldier, and to stop me from carrying on this campaign to a global readership where Hong Kong's reputation could be seriously damaged, even more than it is now with the media fuss over Bill 23.

You broke your contract. If you left without giving one month's notice (which i suspect you did) I hope they sue you.
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you encite others to write letters to the EMB asking them to pay you. I think the average reader thinks your just 'nuts'.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joane,

You are now free from a contract that made you unhappy.

Dwelling upon it will only extend your mental anguish. Perhaps it is time to start a fresh and move on.

There are always two sides to any disspute, regardless of correct either side is.

But the bottom line is the contract stipulations. Herein lay the actual conditions of employment.

I strongly susspect from the toe of some of your postings that you feel you know better than the school what was required for the students and perhaps did not consult with the exisiting teachers, panel and head, as to what they wanted taught and practised to enhance thier exisiting teaching.

NETs whether PNET's or SENT's are employee teachers, to work within a school, under the direction of the English Panel, Head etc.

NET's are not some reincarnation of Jesus Christ, expectd to cure all the aillments of students and teachers ESL.

For the mot part I wold say that due to cultural differences you may have missunderstood what was expected of you and perhaps missed the odd hint as to what was wished of your teaching.

Regardless of you experince and knowledge of ELT, I assure you that local teachers work hard too. Perhaps due to cultural differences thier methods may not be as effective as a native ELT teacher, but they are still teachers and collegues whom deserve respect.

Unfortunetly a number of NET's seem to have an air of superiority due to thier higher levels of ENglish and practical experience in teachign ESL. For the most part NETs are not effected as much by the red tape that destroys the souls of teachers in HK. Again this can lead to a blasay attitude of NETs whom think that teachign this or that is in the students ebst interest. Without considering how this may effect the local school staff.

A good teacher is a member of a family. The family of the school staff, not an outsider. Harmony within the staff room is a blessing. It is all to easy to missunderstand the importance of teaching simple aspects of English that the local teachers do not have time for.

An example; the head says "I would like you let them play a game with colours." Now some NETs may think, well I have somethign much more important to do, or something much more complex. However the quiet wishper is a strong reccommendation that is usually missunderstood due to cultural differences.

Exceling at teachng is one mater, but we need to be able to intergrate ourselves abd be flexible to the requirments of our co-staff.

I ask you again to consider, will taking further action benifit you? Is there anything you have learnt form the experience of teachign in HK that you wish to pass onto other NETs? What have you learnt form this matter?

With regards
Christopher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"NET's are not some reincarnation of Jesus Christ, expectd to cure all the aillments of students and teachers ESL."

Well said chris. Perhaps it's time for Joanne to tell the real story instead of a one-sided diatriab.
Joanne Light Miller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your letter.

To answer some of your points:

I am not "dwelling on this" but writing about it (not doing a very good job of it as I seem to have given an impression of myself, which is not very flattering) to inform others. I have made a fresh start and have learned alot of positive things from the experience.

I think the confusion I felt about the contract was that I thought I was brought to HK to help bring in the new curriculum guidelines. This was what was told to us many times by many members of the PNET Scheme during the orientation. I should have figured it all out right away but I was so excited about the program I didn't think about the politics. I got into trouble because I was trying to follow my master, the curriulum council, as well as my master the English panel chair. I thought the teachers would have been brought up to scratch on the curriculum guidelines by the council. I also did everything the EPC asked and took direction from her, the VP and other teachers. They put the onus on me to prepare and develop all the new materials that were discussed at meetings. Actually, we were supposed to be working together on these things (like a family!)

I never thought I knew better than the school what was required for the students but was following what the department had told me was better for the students according to the short term objectives of the guidelines. I didn't go in trying to change the system but thought the curriculum council, under whose mandate the PNET scheme exists, had already required that this is what we do.

I took all my direction from the exisiting teachers, panel and head, as to what they wanted taught and practised to enhance their existing teaching.
But they wanted me to do so much. I just got exhausted trying to meet their expectations and they refused to look at reviewing my workload.

When I arrived, the onus came from the curriculum council at a long orientation that 'we were to institute the new curriculum guidelines. I wasn't acting like some know it all. I think I got mislead by the PNET scheme.'

I certainly never thought of myself in th terms you describe, "some reincarnation of Jesus Christ, expected to cure all the ailments of students and teachers". I just wanted the kids to have fun and try to bring in the curriculum council's guidelines.

I agree that I missunderstood what was expected of me but my schools didn't have any idea of where the PNET scheme was coming from (which was page six of the new currioculum guidelines). They started by getting me to lessen their workload by correcting workbooks then switched to asking me to write curriculum. My advisor and the managers insisted and I certainly agreed that this was not what I was supposed to be doing.

I certainly know how hard local teachers work and don't blame them (I just think the Panel chairs should have at least read and tried to understand the PNET guidelines). I really think the local teachers are being treated unfairly by their workload--workbooks, dictqation, importance of exam results, etc.--not being lessened by the EMB with the extra stuff coming in from the new curriculum.

I think their methods are concurrent with teaching English as a subject but not for second language acquisition. I think the council wants SLA methods introduced. But it is totally unfair that the local teachers were not alleviated of some of their duties brought on by the former approach to ESL.

I have respect for teachers.

If you met me, you would know I am, if anything, too humble. I guess I should have been more specific in my writing that I was horridly ganged up on by EPCs and a couple of their upwardly mobile sidekicks. I got along well with most of the teachers. The local teachers in my base school know very well that the EPC is of unethical character

What did you mean "For the most part NETs are not affected as much by the red tape that destroys the souls of teachers in HK. Again this can lead to a blase attitude of NETs who think that teaching this or that is in the students best interest without considering how this may effect the local school staff." Could you elaborate?

I think your comment "A good teacher is a member of a family--the family of the school staff--not an outsider. Harmony within the staff room is a blessing. It is all too easy to missunderstand the importance of teaching simple aspects of English that the local teachers do not have time for." was well put. Again, I was told to teach from page six of curr. guide.

When you wrote your example, "the head says "I would like you let them to play a game with colours.", that was exactly what I did integrating the content they asked for with methods called for on page six. I never ignored their requests. It was just that the panel chairs were trying to scapegoat their shortcomings and understanding of the guidelines by trying to make me look bad all the time and try to gt me fired.

How do you intergrate yourself when your supervisor is plotting behind your back to get you fired?

I think writing this is just part of a process for everyone. You yourself said we are hear to learn.

Please do not disdain those of us who have not been successful at ignoring the power politics and dodging the radar. I was only trying to make kids like English. By writing I am benefitting from the process, are you? I think I am passing on my experience. Everything I have written happened.

Thank you for writing and posing your questions and sharing your experience. I value it.

With regards
Christopher

Be quiet. I was quiet until the fifth time someone asked me if I was a catholic.

I was polite until I found out my EPC had secretly met with my advisor and preented a 100% negative report on me.

I was supportive without causing loss of face to local teachers except when one grabbed something out of my hands. Shouldn't the HK teachers know or care when their behaviour hurts or angers us?

In fact, many times I told my advisor how much the EPCs criticisms, slanderous untrue remarks, and embarassing comments in front of students were affecting me but I pulled back from calling a meeting with her because I didn't want her to lose face. So she did it to me in the most cruel way.

I am a patient, compassionate person but there's only so much you can take.

Sincerely,

Joanne Miller
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLM,

Your tone is a little more mature this time.

But, I still think your behavour caused most of your problems. My chair is a moron, too. But, I don't need to sue the world.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: If you wish to pass on the seeds of knowledge Reply with quote

Well if you wish to assist other NET's....

I htink oyu will agree that with hindsight, there may have been several situations that you could have handled in a more appropriate manner.

Now the key words here are "hindsight".

Perhaps reflecting for a whle, you would be able to make recall possible causes or warnign signs of the problems, and what you thikn would be a suitable pre-emptive responce.

However, I beleive that you will find that your personal case is an exception.

Whilst many NET's commonly feel both frustration and that they are not always fully accepted as a member of the team so to speak. Perhaps due to a combination of factors, language, cultural, and of course contract length.

As I have said before, the local teachers here are career teachers, here for the duration. The long slow progression of thier careers. Not just a ciouple of years country hopping , so to speak.

Perhaps if you can write the account of situations you would like to have an opportunity to go back in time and correct, how you would have responded differently, it may be of use for the making of an FAQ for new NETs.

With regards
Christopher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Your spellin' is difficult to understand the meaning of your post. Try preview.
Egas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Joanne,

I'm in Beijing, but have read a little about your case in the SCMP, which I can get here. There are a couple of things I'd like to say about all this.

Firstly, I admire your courage. Taking on the Big Boys is no easy task. Few are prepared to do it, and you will cop crap from people who are either too apathetic or disinterested to try to change the system or challenge its injustices themselves.

Secondly, the Big Boys are Big, bigger than you think, most likely. I suspect you have put yourself firmly on the Highway to Hell by challenging them. But no doubt the same was said of Gandhi when he challenged the British Raj. But we all know of the successful freedom fighters. But for everyone of them, there are a thousand unknowns who got ignominiously fried on the aforementioned highway.

The Chinese social system is really quite different from the west, as you no doubt appreciate a little more now. It’s a top-down system. You don't question the superiors. When the Big Boys get to the top (and most of them are boys) they treat the rest like so-much crap on their shoes. I've seen it again and again. In this system the workers humbly bow before the God, even as the God continues to retreat to his office to polish his erection (pardon the crudity). Women, of course, hold little or no power in the system. Perhaps one of the most significant differences between the Chinese and western social sytems is that in China stability and the maintenance of the sytem is more highly valued than the rights of the individual within that system. And this system is old, old, OLD. But challenge it if you will.

Chinese education reflects that top-down power system. Student-centered, explorative and collaborative learning poses a threat to the system. Most Chinese don't understand the western progressive systems of education, and are terrified by the loss of control that it entails. Most will burn you before they let you implement a system like that. To use a religious analogy, they nailed Christ because he said the prostitutes and beggars were the equal of the Big Boys, and Christ said he was the equal of the Big Boys. If you attribute too much power and freedom to students in this system, you may end up getting nailed yourself. Maybe that’s what happened to you. I don’t know.

I have been on the end of demeaning and pathetic victimization myself. In NZ I worked at an international School. From the moment I walked into the school, my head teacher would not talk to me. Quite literally, she would not even say hello to me in the morning. As time went on, I heard stories of her badmouthing me in the staff room, mocking me in front of her classes (one of her students told me) She also threatened me with abusive letters which pin-pointed my inadequacies as a teacher and as a human being. Damn, that was hard to handle! I knew that I'd not done a single thing to hurt or offend this woman. But she turned half the school, including staff, principal and students against me. It was frightening stuff. But I chose to look at the experience as part of my spiritual development. I confronted that Head Teacher several times, and went to the Deputy, the principal to try and sort it out. All to no avail. Luckily, she got pregnant and went on a year's maternity leave. But I resigned as soon as she came back. I wasn't prepared to go through that crap again. I realised the limits of my power within that environment, and decided to just let it go. I moved to Taiwan for a while, and onto some better teaching experiences, and where I learnt a lot and grew as a person and teacher

Joanne, whatever you do (and you seem pretty committed to your current course of action) somehow you have to learn to distance yourself from what happened. Otherwise you will destroy yourself. Distancing doesn't necessarily mean that you stop pursuing you current course of action, but it does mean allowing some sense of surrender about the outcome of the process.

In the end you have to ask yourself one question very, very honestly. Are my actions based on an intent to improve the system, to seek justice, or are they based on a desire (conscious or unconscious) for revenge? Only you can answer that question.

I wish you luck with it. Hopefully the outcome will be for the betterment of yourself and the PNET scheme in Hong Kong.

Regards,

Marcus Anthony
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne finish what you started or youwill get in the habbit of quitting. Stick to it until the end, bitter or sweet.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm pity she didn't complete the employment contract, or the terms of the contract.
dandan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron, if you mean what I think you mean, that has to be the funniest thing I've heard! She's campaigning to get paid two years salary even though she only did 6 months work. If she succeeds that's got to be the biggest incentive to keep on quitting I can imagine! Laughing

You were being sarcastic, right? Confused
Cobra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanDan you're a smart man!

J. go home, rest, get over it!

Life goes on, with or without you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: