Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*degree? Or is just 'celta' and experience ok?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: *degree? Or is just 'celta' and experience ok? Reply with quote

Any specific advice will be great. I'm new here so I've just begun to read lots of the messages on all boards.

Specifically...I'm getting my 'celta' this fall...my course will end September 19th.

I have about 2 years towards a BA degree and about 10 years experience teaching the piano.

I'm wondering about China, Russia and certain parts of Europe. Seems that some countries REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE A BA DEGREE whereas sometimes they ask for just a TESOL degree. Do these governments require the 3 year BA degree for a specific reason? Does having the degree or not having the degree mean a huge difference of pay?

Also, anyone know which Business-English course online is the best to take? Best regards, Tim
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since you mentioned a "3-year degree" I think it's safe to assume that you're not from the US. It would be helpful if we knew exactly where you're from--visa requirements are different for citizens of different countries.

"Certain parts of Europe"--what parts? Some countries are now in the EU and some are not. Some countries require a degree and some do not. It's difficult to answer your questions unless you're more specific.
lajzar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, keeping this as general as possible and still useful...

Where a country says they want *a* bachelors degree, that is usually to satisfy a visa requirement, and as such is non-negotiable. Where they ask for a degree in a specific subject, that is usually a company requirement, and is negotiable with appropriate eperience in lieu.

ymmv
timbits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: my nationality Reply with quote

I'm Canadian...Looks like China, Korea, and Japan require visas...mostly. I'm also interested in Germany, France, Poland, Russia, the Ukraine and some of the other Russian Republics. Is there a list somewhere of which of these countries require degrees? Thanks.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this post on this page

A list... countries to teach with no degree:
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbits,

what can your students expect from you? Any profound knowledge on literature, arts? Can you explain grammar to your fellow-countrpeople? Are you a personable person? Rhetorical questions, yet...

I tell you there is hardly any opportunity for you in most parts of the European Union; the exceptions being the catholic South (with its byzantine ways that are akin to what we all know is happening in less-well developed countries). In Germany and Russia, you will need very good grammar skills! I do not know about "other Russian republics" as I do not know any plural of Russia; but in the former Soviet Union there are some countries now (including Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan) where the SOros Foundation is active, and you had best ask them whether you fit their teacher profile. Then there are the Baltic Republics, but I bet they prefer Brits there for obvious reasons (upcoming EU membership being one of them).

If grammar and literature are not your forte you can still dream and hope - the Asian Far East is beckoning.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go west man - go west. Go so far west that you wind up in the east. China calls!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: