Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANOTHER Taiwan visa question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: ANOTHER Taiwan visa question Reply with quote

I'm in Taiwan working. I applied for and received a 60 day, multiple entry visa in Canada before I came here. I understand that this visa is renewable twice for a total stay of 6 months in Taiwan. Now, my question: can I get this visa renewed simply by going to Hong Kong and back, or do I need to sign up for Mandarin lessons? I'm unclear if just one or both of these things are necessary.

Does it have to be Hong Kong and back, or are there other options? Can anyone tell me the cheapest means of transport to Hong Kong from Taipei?

Is it also correct that after the initial 6 months is up, I can stay in Taiwan indefinitely as long as I leave the country every month and then come back in - but with the chance of rejection each time I come back in?
Thanks
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: "Compelling Reason" Reply with quote

I assume the place you're working for isn't getting you a work permit.

In that case, you need a "compelling reason" to extend your visa. You'll need proof that you're attending Mandarin lessons at a government-approved language school. These schools include Tamkang University, TLI, Shida and CLI. Do a google search, or look in the English newspapers for their advertisements. Sign up at one of these schools, and they'll give you paperwork and explain what to do at the foreign affairs office. Be aware that you'll also need to show proof of financial security, like a bank statement or traveller's checks worth the equivalent of $3,000 USD.

If you go to Hong Kong, the best you can hope for without work or student papers is a 30-day no extension visa, which you could get at the "landing visa" counter on arrival at CKS airport anyway. So I guess you could also fly anywhere and come back for a landing visa on arrival. When you apply for these visas, be aware that you also need to show a plane ticket (or an itinerary) out of Taiwan.
scb222

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: is the $$$ really necessary? Reply with quote

hey richard, when you got your 60 day visa in canada did you have to show proof of heaps of US$? im an aussie wanting to go, but i dont have near that much money on hand - and neither does anyone i know. does anyone know that at the visa in office in sydney or bangkok you need to show this evidence?

thanks so much.
squid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted by author.

Last edited by squid on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60 day visa is only for a single entry. Once you leave Taiwan it becomes invalid. So if you go to HK you must apply for a new visa to come back again (or get a visa on arrival at the airport).

Like one of the previous posters said you need to enroll in Chinese lessons to get a visa extension. Alternatively you can apply for a work permit and ARC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: