Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*College diploma VS. "BA"/EU citizenship???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbits

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: *College diploma VS. "BA"/EU citizenship??? Reply with quote

I went to an American non-accredited college for 2 years. I also have approximately 1 year of courses at a Canadian university.

Here's my question I'm hoping a few knowledgeable folks might be able to help me with.

>>>>>Many countries want that ole BA degree but I've been noticing, especially in China, that a 4 year college-diploma is looked upon favourably as well. It would definately be LESS EXPENSIVE for me to complete the diploma...however, in the long run I'm guessing the BA would be wiser to get???

>>>>>Also, my grandparents are from England and from what I've looked into, it's possible to get citizenship there if I were to stay there for awhile. I'm thinking in the long run this would be wise because of the whole EU situation in Europe. ???

I'm a Canadian looking to excel in English-teaching and would appreciate a few nuggets of wisdom regarding my options. Best regards!
Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHINA WANTS YOU NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
JDYoung

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a grandparent born in the UK, you may qualify for a UK Ancestry Visa. You would then be able to live and work in the UK without any other permits required. If you maintain residency there for four years you may be able to get UK citizenship. Canada and the UK currently allow dual citizenship so you can keep the Canadian citizenship as well. Then the whole EU would open up for you.

I considered that route but I'm currently 55 and don't want to maintain a residence in the UK for 4 years. I don't so much time left in the industry that I want to spend 4 years in the same place.

For further info, try this web site:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150097
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Linda L.Is Right Reply with quote

She is right.China wants you NOW(although they would have preferred to have you day before yesterday).China wants ANYBODY they can get,especially since the SARS scare has not completely worn off,and some people are extremely reluctant to go there,especially to certain regions.Also,they have other problems,including flooding in parts of the country.

Your ambition to excel in English teaching is a very admirable one,timbits.I hope you carry through on that.Get the four year degree.You will need it in the long run,and you will be glad you have it in the future.Good luck. Smile
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete your current studies, become proficient at at least one other language, immerse yourself in literature - and then try to teach.
You will easily notice that learning a second tongue is more difficult than acquiring one of these expensive TEFL certs, and knowing how difficult it is puts you in a situation in which you can better judge whether a TEFL cert is any good basis.
In the E.U. you will need a well-rounded education background!
Linda L.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try crossing the border and becoming an American! Do you have any idea how many people in the USA actually have no concept that Canadians, Mexicans and all Central and South Americans also consider themselves Americans?

My point is this; You qualify to teach English in China now. You are a native English speaker and this is the only requirement for many employers in China. Try teaching in China for one year. Then consider further higher education. Your China experience will give you a whole new perspective on life and a completely different world view. It is an education all unto itself.

Some take a year off to travel. Some take a year off to work. Some take a year off to just hang out. Take a year off to experience teaching English in China. It will make or break you and the end product will be someone who better understands themself and how they fit into this crazy world.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Possibly.... Reply with quote

Linda L.is right when she says a year in China (or, for that matter, a year in any foreign country) might help a lot of people(of course,it does not help everyone).But also finish your education.You cannot teach in China forever..Although a year,as she suggests, might be good for some people.Will it help you get a better understanding and all of that?Well,maybe,in some cases.It depends on the individual and the situation of course.It is no panacea foe everything.And some people seem to think if they go overseas,all of their problems will magically disappear. On the contrary, they often find themselves confronted with new problems in addition to the old ones.Is that good?Well...maybe...sometimes.It depends on the individual and the circumstances.Teaching TESOl should surely not be viewed as a panacea for solving all of one's problems.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bnix is projecting again. The post had nothing to do with the topic brinx has now inserted. But that is our brinx, always trying to insert something where it is not wanted.

Ouch!! How mant times do I have to tell you not to go there???
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qui s'excuse, s'accuse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: