Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA yes, experience no -- any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vagabondchik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: CELTA yes, experience no -- any advice? Reply with quote

Hi, all!

So I did the CELTA course in Prague back in 1998 -- really enjoyed the study AND the teaching, and did well. Life took other turns, however, so somehow it's only now, five years later, that I'm really considering getting out there and looking for a job somewhere.

Any suggestions as to how I should present myself for jobs -- or what jobs I should be looking for? Any predictions about the reactions I'll get from schools based on this mismatched information?

While I'm sure that going over my notes from the course will help me get ready (and get rid of my jitters), I don't feel that I can say responsibly that I'm more qualified than someone with no CELTA and no experience --which makes me wonder if I should start out with a job where they only care if you're a native speaker, and then (when I've got that experience) trot out the CELTA certificate for job #2.

All advice welcome -- thanks!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you really are a Vagabondchik, why not go to Cambodia and get some experience, then apply to do a DELTA? Im not sure what the criteria are to enrol, but you could try. Overseas experience is valued, Im sure you know.... Very Happy
dyak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't see the point of hiding the fact that you have a CELTA, it's not going to hinder you getting a job... especially if you have little experience.

Moreover, the CELTA is merely the 'driving test', it's the actual 'driving by yourself' part where you really start learning... it also depends on where you're thinking of heading...?
vagabondchik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of Asia (since I did the course, actually) -- Taiwan was at the top of my list because it would let me continue studying Chinese (I was getting good at spoken Mandarin when I traveled in China a few years ago) but pay better than China. I'm not sure that that's true anymore! I also considered Vietnam (Saigon in particular) because there's a swimming pool there I love...how's that for a reason?

Seriously, though, I do have to be concerned with finances this time -- I don't need to put away tons of money, but I need to do a little better than break even. (That's why Vietnam is falling off the list.) Would welcome your suggestions!

Oh, and could you remind me what a DELTA is...and why I might want one? I've forgotten!

Thanks...
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: It should be no problem... Reply with quote

You should have no problem finding work in SE Asia, especially Korea and China.

Have you thought of ESL volunteering in your local area for a month or two just to get some experience on your resume?
vagabondchik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought of that, actually -- haven't been able to pursue it actively yet (other work commitments get in the way), but will definitely look into it more.

Thanks!
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Poland? Plenty of jobs there.
double agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: good avice Dyak Reply with quote

ya Poland is a really happening PLACE..a.a.rgh.

are u kidding? Even Polish people are trying to GET OUT
of Poland. Why not go where u want to BE. That is a start.

If you just need cash go to the Gulf, the Middle East. Lots of
washed up BOOZERS there. But lots of Cash or so I hear.

Haven�t done that dance yet....yet....

Poland pays crap forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: