Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is "liberal"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Where is "liberal"? Reply with quote

Since my experience of the Gulf area is thus far limited to KSA, I have a question.
I know everything is relative, but what is the most 'liberal' state in the Gulf?
A lot of people say the UAE, but others point out that the supposed open-mindedness there is superficial, and mainly for the benefit of foreign tourists. They say that the local society is actually not that much more liberal than KSA.
Others say Bahrain, and - most intriguingly of all - others say Kuwait. They say that, although it seems quite strict, with no alchohol and not much public entertainment, in fact the society is the most progressive of all the Gulf states. For example, they have some semblance of democracy and universities are co-ed - though I understand that there is some pressure to change this.
Any thoughts? One thing I do know - it ain't KSA!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo

I think the problem lies in what one defines as a 'liberal' state. A liberal state for the expats or for the locals or for both. The same country may fit under a different heading under this split. KSA would be considered conservative in both areas.

Other than the alcohol issue, I would say that Kuwait and Bahrain are both on the more liberal side (relatively speaking that is). I tend to use female dress as my test measure here. In both of these countries you find local women who dress more provocatively in class and public than I do, while the woman next to them may be covered and wearing an abaya. Both have sexually integrated classrooms at university level, though the Islamists are slowly pushing this door shut in Kuwait. Expats are under very few restrictions as long as one behaves with some decorum in public. You find many working women in both countries.

The UAE provides the expat with an extremely open and free lifestyle compared to other Muslim countries. But, the locals are very conservative with the women dressed in the same style as the Saudis - facial veiling is the norm for most. It is rather like two parallel lifestyles running. You rarely find local women working although many of them want to.

In Oman, the expat lifestyle is almost as free as the UAE. Though I think most expat women feel the need to dress more conservatively in public than in the UAE, though no one would ever say anything to you. Almost all of the tertiary education is sexually integrated and in the private colleges in Muscat, you will find the women's dress to be like Kuwait and Bahrain. At SQU, the national university, the women dress more conservatively, as they are mostly village girls rather than Muscatis. Omani women have not traditionally used the facial veil except in a few villages. The women are out and about and work in public jobs unlike the majority of the Gulf. But, the Omanis are very religiously conservative. I find it the most interesting cultural group in the gulf because of its many differences from the Northern Gulf.

Using women is not, of course, the only way to judge whether a country is liberal or not. But, I just find that it is a pretty accurate measuring stick. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. For instance, open-mindedness is hard to measure or quantify. I have met open minded people in every one of these cultures, but the Muslim religion puts more restrictions in this area than we are used to in the West. So, my answer to this question would have been completely different in the mid 80's when I was new to this part of the world and now when I have lived there for many years in many different countries. As you said, all is relative.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The university in Kuwait appears to be used as a marriage mart, and women spent their time showing off the most expensive and provocative clothes they have. Frankly, if they ever put me in charge, I'd insist on the abaya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: