Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of important (and possibly very obvious questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyRoofman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: A couple of important (and possibly very obvious questions) Reply with quote

Hi everyone

After too long in South Korea, I am finally returning home (personal reasons) for an extended stay and hope to secure work with one of the private language institutes (the NEAS website lists 22) in my home city of Perth, after a short holiday in Europe.

I am CELTA qualified and have around one and a half years teaching experience in South Korea, in addition to a business degree and substantial real world experience. Having viewed the TEFL.com site (and as an avid reader of Daves cafe), I would meet the basic standards for employment with most organizations listed- however, I have two important and possibly bleeding obvious questions.

These are:
1.) My Korean experience is teaching 8-13 year old kids at an after school academy (Hogwan), which is the starting out point for many prospective long term western teachers. Teaching at one of these academies requires first class organisation skills and a great deal of patience but the reality of these places are that they really serve as glorified after school day care centres rather than serious language institutes. Can anyone advise me as to whether prospective employers are likely to frown upon this Korean experience (ie it doesn't constitute real teaching experience), meaning I should come back to Korea or elsewhere after a well earned holiday and secure myself an adult teaching or public school position?
2.) In Korea we are salaried for all work we provide, however the pay at Australian institutes seems very good (I have seen figures of $40A+ quoted on Davescafe). Even if this is piecemeal, I need to know and assume that this doesn't include preparation time (much like uni tutoring- ie you are paid for one hour but prepare one to two hours for the lesson, therefore the pay is more like $A15 per hour)?

Many thanks

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: