Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting teaching in February???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Starting teaching in February??? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm an Australian teacher with 15 years experience and I'm currently studying TEFL online. I will be putting in for leave without pay for the Australian school year of 2004 which is February to December. I've noticed that the academic year in Turkish schools is August/September. What are the chances of me picking up work in February/March, given that I'd like to get work in a K-12 school? Would I better off taking my leave a bit later?
Cheers
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: work Reply with quote

Very hard or impossible to pick up work in January in the k-12 schools unless a teacher has left or been fired...you could always come on standby and take your chances.

You will, however, pick up work in the language schools without any problems.

I am currently in Anakara and there are literally hundreds of language schools here...it is a foreign teachers market. Pay per hour is around 7 to 12 million per hour. Hours are long and you have to work weekends with one day off in the week. That is why there are few foreigners who bother with the language schools....as the hours preclude extended travel in the country.
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: work in february Reply with quote

Hi gail
I would say that as previously mentioned the language schools are in need of NES teachers all year round and there are good chances of obtaining work there ,however,don't dismiss the high schools or even the universities as they are recruiting in the term break which occours in February so I would try some of these first which city are you thinking of ?
gail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - Istanbul is where I'd like to go. Looking at going after Easter now, but that's also flexible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: