Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dan?
Yes, I am Dan.
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
No, me not Dan.
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Not sure.
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Japan for over 8 years, and the "Jap" issue came up occasionally. My Japanese students and friends were well aware of the racist connotations of the word "Jap" and they found it pretty offensiuve. That's why I have a problem with its casual use as a term for Japanese. Either make it clear that it's an abbreviation, or don't use it at all.
Irish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Village of the danned Reply with quote

As usual, Lucy is correct--the term "Jap" isn't okay out here. Any local newspaper that used it would risk pissing off a vast number of people. I haven't noticed an uproar but I've been quite busy of late. No doubt Linda will help us out by providing more details.

Now back to business...

Dan's survey is a real eye-opener--who knew the oppression suffered by his tribe? Some form of affirmative (dannative?) action is needed to right this wrong. Perhaps employers should require non-Dans to attend sensitivity training so that we can all learn to avoid anti-dannist behavior.

Thanks to Dan for his courage in openly discussing what is obviously a very emotional topic for everyone involved.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: danish Reply with quote

I don't know any Dans in ESL where i am now, but I knew a Dan in Phnom Penh who worked for Regent School of Business. Actually, I think there was another who worked for Regent as well. That makes two; two Dans.

There was also a Scandinavian philanthropist (a Dane) who flew into the country from time to time and travelled around by helicopter. He was said to be very wealthy, as well as being a practitioner of the "martial arts". I heard he had reached his ninth or tenth dan. Very Happy
Linda L.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan trivia:

The following trivia about Dan is submitted for informational purposes only and is not intended in any way to trivialize Dan or insult or flame anyone. (Maybe every post requires such a caveat in light of our Mistress Lucy Snow who thinks we are all her students and she can lay her power trip on us at her whimsical ..... oh the hell with her, where was I?)

Dan is one of the original twelve tribes of Israel and participated in the original inheritence of the land of Israel. Dan was bordered by Ephraim to the North, Benjamin to the East and Judah to the South. Cities of Dan included Joppa, Timmah and Aijalon.

Dan was the son of Jacob.

Dan was numbered the seventh tribe of twelve.

There is more but it can wait.
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Lucy on this one. It's not polite to use the term "jap" to refer to anything or anyone Japanese. Don't waste energy getting defensive about it, just stop using the word.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me state my position very clearly and unambiguously:

The USA made a mistake dropping 2 nuclear bombs on Japan. (See I can learn. I did not say on the Japs.)

They should have dropped 10.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you Yanks have got a thing about the Nips. (Sorry, lucy) Very Happy
dandan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then, boys and girls.

There have been a number of developments since I last checked the poll.

On the downside:

1) There are still some people using this thread to talk about Japan. What's that about? Stop it!

2) There has been a significant decline in the proportion of Dans in the ESL profession, down from 14% to 11% in just 24 hours. This is a clear sign that far from abating, anti-Dan discrimination is actually on the increase and is driving Dans out of the profession.

On the upside:

1) There has been an increase in the number of people who are not sure if they are Dans (up to 22%). If we could get these 'floating Dans' to swing our way we could have a third of the ESL industry 'Danned up'. From there, I believe, it would be a short step to gain the necessary momentum to take over the world and stop Dan oppression everwhere!

With this in mind I request all you 'don't know Dans' to take this short Dan Test.

Are you a man?
Do you have a plan?
Have you been to Japan?
Do you have a nice tan?
Do you like flan?
Are you somenone who can?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you (yes you!) could have an important role to play in the emerging International Dan Movement.

Yes! That's right! You could soon be introducing yourself as Dan the Man (although I've already taken that one so you'd have to be Dan the Man Junior), The Dan with a Plan, Dan from Japan or even Dan who likes Flan! (not sure how popular that one will be though, actually)

So don't delay, be a Dan today!

And remember, you can't keep a good Dan down.
dandan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, that Mr. Irish seems like a nice chap. Have you ever considered becoming Dan Dan the Irish Man? You could sing Danny Boy at the start of our meetings if you like.

You know it makes sense.
dyak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this is a bit Dan-ist, but I do appreciate the attempt to elevate the name 'Dan' from its usual association with cowboy builders/decorators/plumbers/salesmen... and yes, becoming 'Dan' would mean not having to write my name phonetically on the board all the time.

Cheers Dan(s).
Irish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Have you now or have you ever been a Dan? Reply with quote

dandan:

While I appreciate your kind words, the truth is I'm not "a nice chap." In fact, I'm not any sort of chap at all, so becoming "Dan Dan the Irish Man" is out of the question (although I do enjoy a few rounds of "Danny Boy" when sufficiently sloshed). Biology aside, I still support your cause. I'm thoroughly enlightened! A few days ago, I thought nothing of Dans. Today I realized that my MA program has not a single Dan among its students! Shocking, isn't it? Perhaps a scholarship fund should be started to encourage more Dans to enter the field. Sign me up for DAN (Dan Appreciation Network) today!

Hoping we all become more in touch with our inner Dan,

Irish
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Danirable - er - admirable Reply with quote

dandan,

I applaud your efforts to combat this largely ignored (indeed, largely inconceived) issue of Dan-injustice. The whole thing reeks of poignancy and global significance.
I am sympathetic to your cause, even though I myself teach ESL under a different moniker than Dan. It's frontier runners like yourself who give all of us operating dancognito hope and courage.
If you're feeling down and out, look for inspiration in the pages of Roald Dahl's classic novel "Danny The Champion Of The World".

R.
chinasyndrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apology, a statement of guilt, an explanation and a solution.

Sorry.

I am guilty of not being Dan-ist enough, to my undying shame and general mortification.

In amongst just generally trying to survive the day here this serious and weighty issue Crying or Very sad slipped my mind. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Immediate steps have been taken. The Chairman of this school and all in his employ have forthwith changed their names to Dan. Indeed, following an Executive Order from the henceforth known Chairman Dan all teachers, ancilliary and management personnel are to be known as Dan. The 1300 students at this school are likewise included. The city fathers, in their wisdom and to their eternal credit, have renamed the city 'Dantou'.

Prior to your bringing this issue back into clear focus there had only been 2 'Daniel's' here, which I'm not completely sure qualifies them. One is a good guy who is a real Dan at heart. The other is a total arsewipe who has been relegated to the 'nimrod' spot and is forevermore to walk the earth as 'Iel'.

You're The Man, Dan! Cool

Danasyndrome Wink
aaronschwartz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda you forgot to tell all the good people here that they can find the complete book of Dan between Ezekial and Hosea.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: dana Reply with quote

In addition to the book of Dan let's not forget my good friend Dan Burnstone in Cambridge UK, nor the superb if deceased American actor Dana Andrews, nor Dan Dan the ESL man on Phnom Penh Cambodia..

Dana's Name

My name Dana (Huntress of the Dark).. comes from a variety of things.. this is the name that you will see me under most of the time.. first off Dana is my craft name.. it was given to me by my Goddess Diana during a naming meditation.. my mind went blank during the meditation and the only thing I got from that meditation was a womans voice whispering "Dana" over and over.. normally in meditation i get pictures running through my head like a mini-movie.. so getting a name whispered to me was quite an experience.. Later.. after my Awakening I came up with (Huntress of the Dark).. Huntress for my need to feed off energy.. and of the Dark.. comes from my love of mystery.. night time.. darkness itself.. and my Awakening..

So my name isn't a "Were name" or even a "Craft or Magickal name" it is a combination of me..

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:Hj_gNP2b19cJ:danaslair.tripod.com/name.html+dana+name&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: