Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Cost of Living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgplk1

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Help Cost of Living Reply with quote

I am currently teaching in Taiwan, but have been offered a job teaching in Singapore from Jan '07.

Can anyone tell me if the package is any good, and if I will be able to save money and enjoy the nightlife on it.

SGD$2762 to SGD$6220 per month, although I am expecting closer to the lower pay, flights paid for and a monthly living allowence of SGD1600
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very good to know exactly what salary you are going to receive! The monthly "living allowance" of about SGD$1600 is not bad. You can probably find a decent 2-room or 3-room flat for that rate -- but it's at the lowest end. Most flats in modern buildings are much higher. However, you can also probably rent just a room in a flat.

Be sure that you are close to an MRT train station for commuting.

Singapore is an expensive city, but you shouldn't have a problem even if your monthly salary is near the lower end of that range -- provided that you have the SGD$1600 guaranteed for housing.

Here's a useful site:

http://www.itrealtor.com/listingsearch.php
thrifty

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please let us know your pay and benefits and your qualifications.

Remember if you use your contacts you will be able to triple your salary.
k1w1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Remember if you use your contacts you will be able to triple your salary"

Not sure what Thrifty meant by this comment, but it is way off. It doesn't matter who you know here, salaries are not negotiable by those kinds of terms. You could get job offers through contacts, yes, but generally schools will try and screw you down to the lowest possible salary.
sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if "thrifty" has ever ran foul of the Internal Revenue Service (I.R.S.) in Singapore. Yes you can get "privates" through your contacts and eventually get screwed by someone who has an axe to grind with you by dobbing you in to the above I.R.S.

It just isn't worth the risk!
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"thrifty" has never lived in Singapore, knows next to nothing about Singapore, and has no intention of being of service on this thread.

He is merely my shadow and follows me from topic to topic. Wink
happy_me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

single guy better not work for less than S3,000. its true that teachers here have a reason to be here, not just to teach. I think if you dont need to be here dont come. well unless your working for S4,000+ (to many things to spend on, like living at home)
sheepshead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: cost of living Reply with quote

Excellent post!
Pinchy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy_me wrote:
single guy better not work for less than S3,000. its true that teachers here have a reason to be here, not just to teach. I think if you dont need to be here dont come. well unless your working for S4,000+ (to many things to spend on, like living at home)

happy_me is spot on. Less than $3,000 would mean a sad life in Singapore for a teacher, $4,000+ is better.
Netminder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the salaries, package and expenses, I can tell you that the NET scheme in Hong Kong is far more lucrative. Even at the very bottom of the payscale, you'd be making close to $$6000 Singapore a month, and that does not factor the travel, insurance and moving allowances, let alone end-of-contract gratuity.

Sure, there is some BS you have to withstand here, but less BS than I had to put up with in a dozen other countries. Hong Kong is a pretty OK place to live, and you don;t get treated like a alien.
Kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Singapore Reply with quote

You can find a quite nice 2 bedroom condo for 1600 if you take your time to look around. My place is on the east coast and it's in that price range. It includes a beautiful swimming pool surrounded by lush gardens, a tennis court, 2 squash courts, and saunas. If you're willing to live somewhere without these 'extras' then it would be quite easy to find something cheaper. A friend of mine has a very large 3 bedroom place and pays 1300 but there is no security personal, no gardens, swimming pools, etc. It's just the apartment. It is in an Excellent location though and there is a gym and swimming pool right across the street where they get a very good discount with the apartment anyway.

If you don't have debts to pay at home and your just paying for your day to day living expenses, $3000 Singapore is very doable. I'd give $200-300 per month in bills, take a taxi to work each day would be about $400-$500 a month (assuming you live within a few KM). Your food costs will vary widely but it is possible to eat very well, very cheaply. There are these 'hawker centers' all over the place where $3 will give you a very tasty and filling meal. If you do breakfast at home, hawker meals for lunch and dinner, and eat at a mid-priced restaurant 2-3 times per week you can get by on $300 or less per month for food. So, that is all of your basic expenses covered for less than $1200 per month without living particularly frugally. The other $1800 will cover you for clothing, entertainment, travel, etc.

If you enjoy the nighlife you'll find a considerable amount of money spent on nights out. A pint of beer generally costs from $10 - 16 and cover charge at a club could be as high as $30. To spend $200 on a night out is very easily done. On the other hand, you can have a night out without spending too much money if you limit the number of drinks you have at bars/ clubs.

Teachers at International Schools generally get a starting pay of $6000-7000 plus a housing allowance similar to what you are being offered. The lower end schools offer a smaller housing allowance and $4000-5000 in salary. These are the less reputable schools where turnover is higher and less emphasis is placed on teacher retainment.

If your position is in ESL and your salary package is $3000 + $1600 housing, I think you're doing quite well. Getting a package in the upper range of the salary you mentioned would make life much easier and would allow for a short weekend trip to nearby countries each month.
Lynnkueh

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: ROOM FOR RENT TO TEACHER Reply with quote

Hi there,

If this is not relevant here, please help me to find where to post. Or Chinese sites but might have problem with Chinese typing.

My name is Lynn and i'm a Singaporean with 2 Sec school kids. I have an apartment in Hillview, Bukit Timah and I want to rent a room to a teacher. The rates will be very reasonable as I would like to enlist the teacher's help in exchange for Mandarin or Math or other subjects coaching.

This is a WIN-WIN solution. My place is small, but cosy and I can provide some meals too. We are a nice little family. We can even go for some outings together in my little vehicle.

Sounds good? Call me at 8128 8166 to discuss further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mickeyrex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---

Last edited by mickeyrex on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I was paid less than that 3 years ago, before GST and recent price increases. I work in China for a Singaporean school and make more than that.

Name the school, please and we will all avoid that one.

Most schools pay around the $SGD3000 mark. There are so many expat wives and such like who just need something to do and don't give a hoot about pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: