Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Year round work in the UK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Year round work in the UK? Reply with quote

I know the pay rates are crap, but how is the UK, Oxford specifically, for full time year round work? I have an option to work there for the summer but don't think it would be worth it unless I was planning to stay there after.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dire! Evil or Very Mad
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much zero hour contracts at all language schools when you start out. If you have a delta and/or a related masters, you might be able to get some decent full time work, but if you had those qualifications you could make much more elsewhere.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone keeps saying that with higher qualifications, or experience why would you stay in UK? Well, the answer is that not everyone wants to go abroad either due to circumstances, or just not interested in working abroad.

So please show the solution! Confused
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's asked why the rates are so low for a UK-based TEFLer. I imagine the students are paying a hefty amount for classes, and whilst school based in London will have higher overheads, some of the classrooms I've seen there haven't seen any investment for decades. Outside of London, I doubt students' fees come down much, so why are the teachers paid so poorly? The answer must be that teachers will always work for those rates.

Other industries in the UK such as IT and engineering pay very average contractors anything from £35 to £50 an hour, and we're talking 40+ hours of paid work. I say again these contractors are nothing special. The companies would love to pay less, but the positions would remain empty. Teachers are their own worst enemy in accepting such low rates. This is one job which immigrants from the rest of the EU or beyond could not normally do, which makes the situation even harder to understand.

The solution requested by CANDLES above is to do another job. TEFLing in the UK is not viable.
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ireland you can get an average of 16 euros an hour for 20 - 24 hours a week in an average language school. I know people who are living on that - they're far from rich, but they are ok. The trouble is, full time/20 + hours is hard to come by outside of the summer months. Is it possible to get full time work in the UK?
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point exactly!

Teaching English in an English speaking country and getting paid for it decently is not feasible, unless one works in the State educational sector. Teaching on a 'voluntary' basis does not pay the bills. Not all ESL teachers are teachers by profession, but drifted into it by chance, so that is another hindrance. They cannot fall back on their previous careers, because, perhaps they left it a while back and things change. So 'catch 22' situation.

Doing something else - yes - you can, but have to be retrained for it or start fresh. Now how many people can do that or will do it, especially if age is a big factor to start anew. So teachers put up with the wretched pay and get on with it.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what your background is, but the UK economy is in rude health right now. If you have a degree in anything, there must be non-TEFL jobs aplenty.
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday morning I'm going to sign on with an agency and see what happens. Cool

I've signed on at various agencies for teaching assistant posts and others, but have been told that because I do not have 6 months UK experience my application cannot be forwarded.

Outside the teaching world, I'm trying to do other things, but very difficult.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask where this "six month" rule is written down, because I've never heard of it.

If I was determined to be a UK-based TEFLer, I wouldn't even think about working at a school. I'd do IELTS and EAP privately.

Last edited by Hod on Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CANDLES

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The agencies I contacted and sent my resume to...told me this.
I know it's rubbish, but who does one believe! They are 'supposedly' the experts!
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really interested in staying in the UK, then the best bet would be to do a PGCE.

I think if you can get a pre sessional Uni job, you might have a chance to get some full time work at the end of it, but there will be a lot of competition. [/i]
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man with the dog collar and funny hat, posting as "Hod", assures us that all is well. There are jobs. Which lunatic asylum has he escaped from ?

Last edited by scot47 on Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hod

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The man with the dog collar and funny hat, posting as "Hod", assures that all is well. There are jobs. Which lunatic asylum has he escaped from ?

Maybe the lunatic asylum in which the inmates read the news. Ask your keepers in the sheltered housing to let you try it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27406457

14 May 2014
UK unemployment rate falls to five-year low

The jobs market continues to grow much more rapidly than most people expected.

The 2.2 million jobless total is the lowest since early 2009. So, too, the youth unemployment figure.

The number of vacancies in the economy is at its highest since the spring of 2008, before the full effects of the recession had taken hold.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ministry of Truth has spoken ! We must ignore those enemies of the people spreading treasonous lies that two point two million are registered as unemployed !

Has Hod read George Orwell ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: