Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prague Neighbourhoods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Prague Neighbourhoods Reply with quote

I am moving to Prague this summer. In preparation for my move (and out of excitement and curiosity), I have been researching the cost and quality of living in the various neighbourhoods in Prague. I am a bit confused on how the zones are divided. From what I can tell Prague 10 is right next to Prague 2. Is this assumption correct? How are the zones assigned?

Also, I would also like some recommendations as to areas that are charming, nice and reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

Lastly, what is the going rate for a studio or 1 Bedroom versus a 2 or 3 Bedroom per person? (ie: Studio in Vinohrady for 9,000kc vs. 2 Bedroom for 8,000kc per person) Can I expect to pay a drastically different price if I choose to live in a studio/1Bed rather than with roommates in a 2/3Bed or is it relatively comparable?

Thanks so much!
jitkasan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, sounds like we're in the same position and have much the same questions. I've been asking around online and seems, Vinohrady is a nice place. Someone warned me to stay away from Prague 8, 9 and 10. Otherwise I'm also waiting for replies to your questions!

Jitka

ps. it does seem like you can get MUCH nicer places if you get a 2 bedroom and then share with someone, but that's always a tricky equation. For example: 2+1, 2 beds, 19000 CZK/month, utilities extra, 75 m2, 4th floor, Prague 1, part - Nove Mesto, Ostrovni street, art nouveau building, modern flat, fully furnished, standard furniture, one bathroom, one toilet, parquet floor, lift, two separate rooms, balcony, sunny, telephone, stove with oven, fridge, refridgerator, dishwasher, dishes, washing machine, bathtub, shower, linen.
Pics here: http://www.happyhouserentals.com/pics.php?id=4744&pic=http://www.happyhouserentals.com/photos/4744_1.jpg
sussy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I've spent many hours looking at happyhouserentals.com. They have some fantastic places for rent. I am wondering if their prices are fair or if there are better letting agencies to go to for something comparable. I was told to expect to pay approximately 7,000-8,000kc/month, however, I haven't been able to find anything all that impressive in that price range. Is there an up and coming area or hidden "gem" that anyone can recommend?

Also, Jitkasan, you mentioned that you were told to stay away from 8,9,10. what was the reason to stay away from those particular areas?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 7 to 8.000 figure will be either for a shared flat or a tiny studio in a very distant/undesirable location. I was paying 10,000 per month back in 1998 for a one-bedroom studio flat in a decent (not central) location. The general scoop is that teaching doesn't pay enough to finance living alone in a nice neighborhood. Obviously, that's why so many people share!! Basically, you have a much better chance of finding something really cool when you are there, know some people, and have a chance to look around on your own. It's NOT an easy task - housing's always been tight in Prague.
My suggestion is not to worry too much before you are there about finding housing. The flats on offer from abroad are generally the ones where the owners are hoping to rent to 'rich' foreigners - which you will not be, teaching English in Prague! Wait until you're there to try to land something. If you're taking TEFL training in the city, the school you are training in can put you in touch with estate agents. Likewise, when you land a job, the school that employs you can give you some leads.
Also, don't worry too much about neighborhoods. There is extremely little violent crime in the CR overall. I lived in Zizkov for two years, which is a neighborhood many people try to avoid - and it was all beautiful and safe. You can't really label the districts of Prague as 'good' or 'bad.'
jitkasan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the reply: I would personally avoid Prague 8, 9 and 10 only because I don't like the areas of 8 and 9, and Prague 10 does not have much of a night tram service.

I thought it was interesting the advice someone gave me about avoiding a place right on the tram line, since you'll have that noise going all night.

I initially thought that I'd like to live alone, since that's what I've been doing here in Japan. But am starting to warm to the idea of sharing with someone! The advantages being a better location and a nicer apartment, safety of someone else being there and it is nice to have someone to talk to sometimes. Also when you first arrive it's probably better to share I guess, until you get the feel of the city. I can't imagine commiting to a long-term lease in a city I don't really know, when fresh off the plane.

Does this sound right? Also any ideas on where to find people to share with? I now can't do the TEFL course because of the timing and so am on my own in Prague come Sept 22.

Jitka
stephabee

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be staying in Prague 9 during August for my TEFL course (TEFL Worldwide Prague). I haven't heard anything bad about it - hopefully it's okay.

I had originally planned on going to Poland after getting my certificate but have started looking into Prague. I hope to share a place with someone if I do stay there - you can get something nicer for a lot less money.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague 9 was one of 'my' neighborhoods when I lived in the city.
TEFLW's located in a convenient location for both trams and metro, so you can be in the centre reliably within 30 minutes, even if you are unlucky with the wait times. The architecture is not the most stunning in the city, though there are some nice buildings, and there is also a very interesting park nearby the training centre. You'll find some decent restaurants and bakery/coffee shops too.
Jitka, I still think you can/should try to meet some of the TEFL trainees at one of the training centres. They'll be in the same situation as you, only with certification! I'm sure they'll be friendly - you've got the advantage of language. You could probably make some housing contacts this way too.
jitkasan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The co-ordinator at Next Level, where I had wanted to do the TEFL course has been really positive and encouraged me to do just as you say, to drop by anyway and meet some people. Will do that!!

Heading out for a farewell bbq by the Kamo river now, another ESL teacher leaving. Teacher tunrnover sure is high here.

Greetings from sunny Kyoto!
Jitka
Hamett

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLWORLDWIDE isn't conveniently located. That was one of the reasons why I chose TEFL-PRAGUE because they are bang right in the centre of Prague 1. TEFLWORLDWIDE are in Prague 9 and that can be quite a dodgy area so I've heard.
Also, there are 2 parts of Zizkov: upper and lower. Lower end Zizkov IS a shady area but the upper part (near the tower) is OK.
I've got a friend out in Luziny who shares a 2+1 in a pre-fab tower block and he pays a fortune while I live in an attic flat in Vinohrady (NICE area) and I pay uder 10,000kc, plus I live on my own.
When I was planning on coming to Prague for the first time I had read how expats generally prefer the leafy suburb of Dejvicka. If you have kids I would recommend this area. Otherwise, Vrsovicka (spelt it wrong I'm sure) in Prague 10:which is right next to Prague 2, is a great option. It has the charm of Vonohrady but with cheaperrent tarifs.
HappyHouse are EXPENSIVE!!!
Try this link:
http://www.spolubydlici.cz
jitkasan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link!! Put something up now, but will do so again closer to departure time.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Prague 9, two blocks from TEFLWorldwide. From the windows of my studio apartment on the 3rd floor, I overlooked a nice creek and a park. The buildings on my street are 90% 100+ years old, and fairly nice architechturally. The metro and tram stops are around the corner, and there is a unique (and very large) park across from the hospital, which is worth a trip from other parts of Prague to see. There's an Odkolek cukrarna (it's one of the nicer chains of bakery/coffee shop in town), a decent supermarket. NOT dodgy at all!! I had no qualms (and still wouldn't) about coming and going at late hours. I would agree that the architecture is somewhat industrial, and it's not especially a neighborhood where I'd take anyone for sightseeing. But it's clean and safe and relatively convenient. And, yes, I've revisited it many times since I lived there in 1998, including recently.
When I got my TEFL cert, back in 1998, I did it at ITC. Yeah, the training centre was located in Prague 1, but most trainees were housed 45 minutes out in the suburbs, at Hotel Dum. One of the great advantages of TEFLW is that their housing is virtually on-site. 30 minutes into the centre and back is not bad for recreation - and you don't have to do it to attend your course daily.
You should really consider choosing a course based on other points than the location of the training centre. The schools in the trendiest parts of the cities are not necessarily by definition, the best ones.
On Zizkov, true, I lived in the 'upper' part. But one of the training courses I worked on had a flat for trainees in lower Zizkov, and that specific flat was really a nice location (would've lived there myself). Don't block out a whole neighborhood because of its' rep - when you're looking for housing, check out the individual offerings of the estate agents. You can find some 'gems' in the neighborhoods that others (who often have no first hand experience in them) scorn.
Hamett

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true.
I'm sure you can find gems in any dodgy area.
spiral. I'm not too sure why you are sticking up for Prague 9 and I do find it a bit worrying that people on this forum who don't know Prague very well may take your advice and end up living out there.
It is polluted, ugly and in the middle of nowhere.
You have mentioned one good aspect and that is the BAKERY.
Great!
I may be living in a dodgy area but atleast the doughnuts are good.
I really want to go out on a limb on this one here.
If you are going to stay in Prague don't go for the Prague 9 are that Spiral is talking about. PLEASE. You will regret it.
Go for somewhere a bit nicer and SAFER.
Shame on you Spiral!
jitkasan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Jeseniova Ulice Zizkov Reply with quote

hi,
Someone has offered me a room to share on this street: Jeseniova Ulice. Found it on my little map, though without being in Prague it's hard to know. If it's not a bad area would be interested, since it's cheaper than any hotel. Any idea what the street and the neighbouthood are like?

Thanks!
Jitka
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you, Hammet!
Both I and one of my friends (young and female, and on our own) lived in Prague 9 for over a year. It's not especially polluted, and certainly not unsafe. You are allowed your personal opinion, of course - but it's unfair to slam an entire neighborhood for people on this forum.
Have you ever lived in/had problems with Prague 9 personally?
I have personally come and gone at all hours of day and night in Prague 9 without any fear or problems whatsoever. One is more likely to be mugged or run into pickpocketers in shadowy corners in the center! I actually remember a time when there were a series of rapes at Namiesti Miru, certainly is NOT considered to be a dangerous area.

Finally, the best advice is still to check out each situation individually.

There are places in lower Zizkov that I would feel quite safe and happy living in. Ditto Prague 9. It's simply unreasonable to ditch the entire area, particularly in a city where housing is at such a premium.

It's also a concern on my part that part of your motivation might be to promote a training centre that is not in Prague 9.
Hamett

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is your opinion.
I have been purposely monitoring these pages today and wanted to 'bait' Spiral.
Now I am convinced (s)he is a TEFLWORLDWIDE troll.
You are on here ALL THE TIME.
A helpful hint here, another there. Oh, and btw, TEFLWORLDWIDE etc, etc, etc.
One thing you cannot edit on this forum is the times which you post your adverts.
I really do admire your dedication now!
You are simply here 24 hours of the day.
Just in case.....
OK Spiral.
I won't hound you with this.
BUT, you are obviously a TEFLWORLDWIDE messenger boy and you are quite simply telling wrong facts in order to promote your training centre.
Please, if you are going to promote then please keep to simply plugging TEFLWORLDWIDE but please don't give these people here a false image of where their training centre is.
That's all from me now.
I have better things to do than scan these pages on a daily basis. I've done it pretty much for 1 day and I pass the crown back to you.
King Spiral of TEFL forum land Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: