Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unpaid debts in Egypt-will they haunt you in other countries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Unpaid debts in Egypt-will they haunt you in other countries Reply with quote

For the veterans out there....unpaid debts in Egypt can be reported to the police. The question is, can those police reports follow you outside of Egypt when you go to live in other countries? This is my 2nd odd post today, but let me add this line: I do not have unpaid debts in Egypt. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather doubt it. I know people who left debts in some of the Gulf countries and nothing happened. In fact, I know people who walked out of the Emirates with large sums of cash - basically stolen money from housing allowances plus bank loans and they just absconded.

I would say that as long as you stay out of Egypt for the forseeable, nobody will come after you. (assuming that you are not working for a company with ties to your home country. Laughing )

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine owed rent even after moving out, and the owner said she reported it to the police. He's hoping to move elsewhere to teach, and having to provide proof of no foul play in all the countries in which he's lived. I do know that when my husband applied for a fiancee visa to the US, he had to provide police reports for all the countries he resided in, so I thought I'd ask.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had to provide any police reports to any country that I went to - related to countries that I worked in previously.

Of course, I hadn't broken any laws that I knew of so if the new country checked, I wouldn't really know, would I? I do know that Oman didn't care that I had an uncancelled visa for another Gulf country in my passport... and my previous employer had apparently not reported any problem - though I may not have been on their 'favorites' list. Laughing

There is always the old trick of getting a new passport.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleeing the country with substantial debts is a common practice in the world of TEFL.

If you have to go back to that country or if you need a police check at some point this could be problematic.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually known of someone who left debts in the UAE, went on to Hong Kong, and when something about her red-flagged her to her new employer, they actually started calling the references she had given when she applied (apparently they had not done this prior to hiring her). Her old school in Dubai had been receiving debt collection notices in her name. Once they heard from the new employer, the two 'employers' actually worked together to bust her in both countries.

Fortunately, my husband didn't disappear in the night. He left on what his company called 'emergency' leave, and then rang them to say he wouldn't be returning (the most popular form of quitting at Wafi, apparently). I would just like to know that returning san mushkellah is an option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: