Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huh?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chi-chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

My fixing-to-be ex-employer told me that after my last day at work, when she WILL fill out my ARC cancellation form (regardless of when I'm ready to leave) that I have 24 hours to leave the country.
Is she just screwing me around? Quick replies please.
Chi-Chi
killian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: not a lawyer, but... Reply with quote

a boss can pretty much cancel an ARC anytime s/he wants. are you leaving on amicable terms? are you going home or changing jobs or want a vacation? talk to your boss and try to get a grasp on the feelings of the other side.

there is some lag time (unofficially) between when the paperwork is submitted and when it is processed. duration varies from station to station.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

][[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi-chi, go and get a student visa. It allows you to look for a new job without the visa hassle and if your employer has blacklisted you, you still have a visa and can work until the time limit expires on your old ARC.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way that I can get the said Student Visa without leaving and coming back?
Because trust me once I leave, I have no plans on coming back to the island.
Is there any legal recourse that I have? My employer now says that she can wait, but I don't know, considering what they said before.
People often say Korea's terrible, but Korea let me stay for one month after I quit my job.
I don't have the money to pay an overstay fee.
Chi-Chi
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi-Chi:

You have to leave the country if she cancels your ARC.

There is no such thing as a "Student Visa" in Taiwan.

But you could leave Taiwan and apply for a visitor's visa for study purposes at an overseas TECO. I got mine in Bangkok.

The certification papers that the school provides you with have to be given to the TECO and you'll probably get a 2-month visitor's visa.

This is extendible in Taiwan twice.

You might have to provide bank account information and write a short letter requesting this type of visitor visa.

Basically, if your boss decides to #%& you in the ear and cancel your ARC, you're **&^ outta luck and have to leave Taiwan pretty much immediately.

You'll have no legal grounds for being in Taiwan and if you are here for more than even 2 or 3 days (I suppose there might be some leeway there) you might expect some hassles/fines from Immigration when you do try to leave.

Sounds like you aren't too keen on returning though if you leave.
ET

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a "Student Visa" in Taiwan.
Quote:

What are you talking about when you say this. Of course there is student visa's in taiwan all you have to do is go sign up for langauge courses. I am almost positive you wouldn't even have to leave the country. Whats more is there are schools which will prosess your visa and not require you to attend class. Check out the china post you should be able to find something in there. (Maybe CLI does it) Let me know what you find out.

ETHAN
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course there is student visa's in taiwan

There are no Student Visas in Taiwan.

However, you can apply for a Visitor Visa for study purposes in Taiwan.

This is a 60 day extendable visa renewable twice. Each month you visit the National Police Agency to renew it.

You must leave Taiwan and apply for the Visitor Visa at a TECO office outside of Taiwan.

You will need a certificate of registration from your language school as well as bank statements showing that you have at least U.S.$2,000 in savings.

You will also have to write a short letter requesting permission to receive the 60 day renewable Visitor Visa, depending on the TECO you apply for you Visitor Visa at.

I've done this, so PM me if you have any questions about it, Chi-Chi.
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a set time to leave upon being officially informed (by the police/government) that your ARC has been cancelled. I believe that Taiwan has recently entered the 14th century and increased this to a week. Basically, check how long you have, I'm fairly certain it is longer than 24hrs.

If you have a new employer then you maybe able to transfer your ARC to them, hence, avoiding leaving. However, to do this you will require a release letter from your old employer (saying they have terminated your employment and contacted whatever ministry) to transfer your ARC. Once the documents have been submitted with the relevent ministry (education, economic affairs, etc.) then you will be given a document which will permit the extension of your ARC for a month or two to allow you to stay in Taiwan while your new work permit is processed. (Remember you must get the letter of release to do this!!)
Check out tealit.com it has a section on ARC transfers and release letters, which is much more detailed/accurate than my posting.

Good luck
Stephen

"I pity those who don't drink when they wake up that is the best they will feel all day"
Frank Sinatra
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be officially informed by legal courier or registered mail. It is a formal document in Chinese so don't throw it away. It is possible to get an extension with a plane ticket and a good reason.
Even if you don't receive the document you must leave the country in the time prescribed. You will not be able to transfer your ARC without a release letter and even then it can be problematic. If your former employer refuses, please post the name of the school, address and the name of your supervisor (both Chinese and English) so others will know who they are dealing with and what they can expect.
taiwanho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are required to leave the country 7 days after the Ministry of Education receive the cancellation notice for the ARC. This is only true as long as your ARC has not already expired however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: