Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accomodation in Abu Dhabi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeofTiger

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Accomodation in Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

I am planning to move to Abu Dhabi next fall. I was wondering what is the average for a decent 2-bedroom apt.
Thanks
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the ads in the local paper. I think you'll find they're mostly more than ADU allows you.

http://www.gulf-news.com/classifieds/clasified_articlesaf03.html?path=/channels/gulfnews_com/classifieds/Abu_Dhabi_x_Al_AIN/Properties/Flats_to_Let/
EyeofTiger

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a wide range of prices. I have no experience of the decent areas in AD. Would you please propose some.
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I live in Dubai - don't know Abu Dhabi very well. Maybe someone else will come on with some recommendations.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to average the prices in the ads to give you an idea of costs. (and perhaps google up some other sites too) It is hard for us to define what is 'decent' for you and what neighborhood you would like or accept. Cool You may also have to pay quite a bit upfront.

VS
TABING

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rents are HIGH in Abu Dhabi and increasing daily. Basically, the closer to the Corniche (sea side prominade), the higher they are, also the closer to the Khalidiya area on the western side of town the higher they are. A 2br in Khalidiya in walking distance to the Corniche is probably a minimum of Dhs100,000 a year, a small 2br with sea view is double that in a newer building. People do have cheaper, but have been in them for a while. As soon a an apartment becomes vacant, greedy landlords use this opportunity to increase the rent to just about whatever the market will bear.
These would be considered "nice" neighborhoods.

As you move away from the corniche rents are a little cheaper, but there is such a shortage of affordable expat housing here that that is changing too.

Best bet is a low rise 4plex, but the problem with that is you may be sharing the building with 30 taxi drivers living in one apartment, or non-western families with all their relatives and endless children with bike and skateboards and other paraphenalia littering the area. Another thing to consider is parking, basically, there is none in the city, unless you pay to have a speace in the underground parking of your buiding IF it's available. A collegue moved into a new building and wanted to secure a space. She was one of the first new occupants. the management told their were none available. Turns out the landload reserved most of them so he and his friends would have a place to park when they visited the area or their "girlfriends" (known locally as Beirut Bimbos) who were living in the building. This means the real residents spends hours a week driving around the neighborhood trying to park.

Expect to pay at least 65k for a dump, the sky's the limit for nice places.

Good Luck and welcome to the "muddle east".
EyeofTiger

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I am negotiating housing allowance. Here is what I am looking for:
� 2-bed rooms, unfurnished.
� Clean and in a reasonable area.
� Easy parking
� I prefer expat buildings/towers
� sea view (optional)

Could you suggest a reasonable rate and neighborhood?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list, I'd say that you are looking at the maximum mentioned above - 100,000 to 200,000 - plus perhaps more.

Unless you are a full professor, I doubt that you will be able to get close to that. I suspect that you will need to forget about sea and views and decent parking. Crying or Very sad (AD is famous for slapping up the maximum number of buildings with absolutely no provision for parking - at best 1 space for every 4 or 5 flats in the building or worse - and even those are competing with the retail shops on the ground floor.)

Just like most Gulf cities, EFL teachers are being priced out of the housing market.

VS
TABING

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got some hard negotiating ahead of you. You're looking at 150K plus.

Who are you working for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: