Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUST

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeofTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: GUST Reply with quote

I got a job offer as an assistant professor at GUST. I was wondering if you have any information about the university.
Thanks
Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about it, but here's what I can tell you. It's a newer university, non-accredited, with no real application deadline, as it's private and (I gather) if you pay you are in. The student body is a mixture of graduates from both the local governement and the local international high schools, meaning that you will have students with an entire spectrum of English abilities. Those from the international schools will be more proficient, while those from the government schools may have very limited English. The students who go there are often not accepted to other universities, such as Kuwait University, so you may get the less talented students. This is changing, though, according to an acquaintance who works there. The school has good staff (according to the acquaintance), but is going through the growing pains of a new organization, and thus things seem to change fairly regularly. Again, this is changing as well, as the school becomes established. The acquaintance I mentioned seems to really like it there, if that helps.
sharko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also received an offer as assistant professor at GUST. Any more info on the place? Administration? Colleagues? Students? Thanks!
grab-bag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: growing pains Reply with quote

a lot of changes - the old director who was pretty decent left (not his choice) and the new guy is a reject from Qatar. He'spretty stiff-necked.
But maybe things will improve. Some people just love it.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense to the previous posters, but it was reading second hand information and posts from posters who have had limited exposure in kuwait that made me join this forum
of my 15 years in kuwait , a limited time was at disGUST

an offer of assoc professorship, you say, well - only take the offer if you have 10 ml of valium on hand for every day you plan to work at disGUST , a tongueichomy (that is prevent speaking out but on the other hand you won't be able to lick up), and copious amounts of cotton balls to fill your ears
it's THAT BAD

the students run the show via their union and an avenue straight to the president (majority shareholder-that ALONE should be a signal to run) and team of counsellors (who will tell you toallow abdul's 20th absence because his father's third wife is sick.....)

pay is ok but no educator of any professional standard, personal dignity or ethics stays

need more juicy reasons NOT TO GO (believe me there are a plenty)? pm me
samesamebutdifferent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Come on! What's new? Reply with quote

Yes. This is Koohate. It's all like this. Sooooo (YAWN) normal. Gawd 15 years and still staggered? At some point we gotta start digging holes to hide in. You obviously came up for air. Just be careful getting to work y'awll. Then again the back dash can be worse. I think I gonna do a Wittgenstein soon. Probably paint my cousin's shed or not.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the previousposter's last posts were
-------------------------------------
Search found 5 matches

Job Discussion Forums Forum Index
Topic: Quality of Life for May to August Teaching Job for Student
samesamebutdifferent

Replies: 7
Views: 83
Forum: General Middle East Forum Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 pm Subject: Hey Boy! We trying to make a living out here.
WELL like I flipping said, some of us are trying to navigate through life earing a living- yes- many of us teflers have family (baggage or not- they still with us ) with us NOW. YOU are flippant with ...
Topic: GUST
samesamebutdifferent

Replies: 5
Views: 907
Forum: Kuwait Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 pm Subject: Come on! What's new?
Yes. This is Koohate. It's all like this. Sooooo (YAWN) normal. Gawd 15 years and still staggered? At some point we gotta start digging holes to hide in. You obviously came up for air. Just be careful ...
Topic: A couple, the Middle East
samesamebutdifferent

Replies: 39
Views: 730
Forum: General Middle East Forum Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm Subject: A couple, the Middle East
On my last count, before your edits, I reckon - 856 lashes for her- 1235 for you. Stoning for her- Beheading for both- hanging for you - 11 years prison for her - 22 for you ... and 24 other forms of ...
Topic: Free Networking Dinner All Welcome!
samesamebutdifferent

Replies: 12
Views: 418
Forum: Kuwait Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:39 pm Subject: Free Networking Dinner All Welcome!
ALL A BIT SUSPECT THIS!

Come on. Why would I be interested in bonding with a load of strange men. I am a male I don't want to mix with a load of males that want to mix with "a load of males&q ...
Topic: IPEQT
samesamebutdifferent

Replies: 18
Views: 1493
Forum: Kuwait Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:19 pm Subject: Devistated Miss Boo
QUOTE= Miss Boo -devistated just devistated- ME -hope that was on purpose.
"a group were" ?????????
Are you a teacher of Math?

Quote=
Whats the difference between being a ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
sigh
grab-bag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="need more juicy reasons NOT TO GO
Quote:

so what are they? Can't be as bad as U of Q
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACT quote
need more juicy reasons NOT TO GO (believe me there are a plenty)? pm me

you missed the 'pm me' part, there grabbag
Myshkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Not a bad place to work Reply with quote

I know people at GUST and the picture I get is a program that recognizes its flaws and is trying to make improvements. They seemed to deal pretty honorably with the faculty as far as honoring the contracts and such. Some complaints on minimal support for housing, car rental and such--you're pretty much left to handle that on your own. Then again, if that isn't something you can do on your own you probably shouldn't be working abroad so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

As for students running the school--that is not true. Some teachers may believe it to be true and give the students that power--but other teachers had no difficulties dealing with the students. As far as the region goes, GUST student are a a lot easier to manage than most. The English department has a core of decent teachers, and those in other departments are friendly and approachable. All in all I hear it is a good place to be. Pay is not the top of the spectrum, however, and you need to bargain hard or you'll regret it. Some faculty made substantially higher counter offers that were accepted. HR will try to get you on the cheap. Don't let them. In the GULF, <b>everything</b> is negotiable and you have to imagine yourself at a Souk.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all I hear it is a good place to be.

Again, I am TO strongly assume the previous poster had NEVER worked at disGUST....
As I have, I can swear on a stack of holy books that:
1) On complaint of the students, an English teacher's exam was shown to the student counselor (the counselor suggested revisions, even though she knew nothing about the subject, had never taught and barely spoke english);
2) Students routinely go satraight to the university President to complain about teachers and the courses; and
3) While I worked there, some student grades were controlled by coordinators leaving the teachers to wonder how by some mathimatical gymnastics some students passed.

Many other flaws (MAJOR) exist.
I challenge ANY current or former disGUST teacher to say things are better - if they have, they've TRULY DRUNK THE KOOLAID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: