Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luketheduke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Starting out Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I�m thinking about working in Italy in the near future and would really appreciate any advice you can give.

Well first here�s a little bit of info about myself, I�m 23 years old, I�m from the UK, I have BA, i to i tefl and I have 2 years teaching experience in South Korea.

I have quite a few questions so I�ll be blunt and just list them: Smile

What�s the easiest way to find a job in Italy?
What�s the usual length of a contract?
When would be the best time to find a job?
I haven�t got a specific location I would like to go to so any suggestions?
What�s the usual salary and standard of living?
I only have a basic knowledge of Italian (but am willing to learn), is this a problem?
How have you found the lifestyle and working conditions ?

Any reply's would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Luke
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luke

What�s the easiest way to find a job in Italy?
Turn up, produce a decently-written CV, lots of enthusiasm, willingness to be flexible and learn the ropes - that sort of thing.

What�s the usual length of a contract?
If you get a contract at all, it would probably be a "project contract" running maybe from September to June. No sick pay, holiday pay or pension contributions.

When would be the best time to find a job?
Early September.

I haven�t got a specific location I would like to go to so any suggestions?
Depends if you want city, large / small town, north / south... More work in the cities, but also more competition for jobs. A 1-1 TEFL isn't great, though you can talk up what experience you have and show enthusiasm for learning the ropes.

What�s the usual salary and standard of living?
Depends where you are, what your lifestyle is like. Average Italian wage is �1000 per month after tax. You'll need around this to pay rent, buy food, go out, etc. In larger cities you'll have a much better social life and will get to meet more people. South friendlier than the north, and not much beats Rome - in my totally biased opinion.

I only have a basic knowledge of Italian (but am willing to learn), is this a problem?
No. Willing to learn is good and will make you lots of friends!

How have you found the lifestyle and working conditions ?
I've been here years and leaving Italy permanently would break my heart. But I work freelance, have other things on the go, and so don't need to work for language school wages. If you're eking out an existence and living in a miserable flat share in some gritty town, then you'll have a less pleasant lifestyle.

Be open to possibilities, get out and meet people, appreciate the food, hang out at the beach during the summer - this is a pretty good lifestyle in my opinion!

PM me if you need further info etc.
luketheduke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To T.I.R

Thanks mate that's really helpful! Smile

Take care
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT POST T.I.R

Just one thing.. on a contratto progetto you do get pension contributions and you do get some paid sick pay (just schools don't let you know that), I get the above albeit not a lot.. when I am sick I get paid 85% of my salary for that day if I bring a doctors note as this 85% is given to the school form INPS. I am an Italian citizen by birth I don't know if it's different for non Italian citizens on this contract!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure whether a non-Italian would get sick pay / holiday pay. As far as I know, what it replaced (the co,co,co) had these at the discretion of the employer. Who knows if this is still the case, so I erred on the side of caution. Don't expect anything until you ask / hassle for it!

Try not to get ill, Luke. But if you do, remember to take your temperature (yes, you'll have to buy a thermometer) and tell everyone you have a febbre of - um, what is it? 38 or 39 perhaps. Italians are on intimate terms with their temperatures, whereas we tend to use the back of our hands to discover if we feel hot or not...

Sorry for sarcasm. Having a bad day with Italian bureaucracy.
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.I.R LMAO!

� VERO!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: