Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health insurance in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
judy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Health insurance in Egypt Reply with quote

What sort of health insurance can someone buy in Cairo that covers medical expenses there? Is it better to buy it before arriving or better to wait until you get there and find a company which is compatible with the Egyptian system. I don't want to pay for something before coming and get there and be told that this insurance is not valid here. Any suggestions? What about hospitals and doctors there, are they expensive?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors, hospitals, and medicines (prescription and over the counter) are all reasonably priced to downright cheap. Health insurance is available (I can't recall the company my school used, but it was an American company and the insurance was purchased there in Egypt). I would suggest you wait until you arrive. There are some insurance plans sold in the US that will reimburse you for what you spend, but I do think you can find a better option three. It's quite possible that your new school will have an in-house doctor, and s/he can suggest a variety of prescriptions for common ailments.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't know anyone who ever bought health insurance there. I never did for the years that I lived there. Coming from the US, I found the system to be unbelievably cheap. I just paid cash for doctors and meds, and over the years I paid maybe 10% of what my US health insurance premium would have cost. My major health care providers were the pharmacists... they all speak good English... and no prescriptions are necessary.

If you are American, the bigger risk is for an illness or injury that sends you home and arriving back without insurance. When I got older, I made sure that I had a major medical insurance plan in the US for that reason.

There are some European companies that provide international health insurance. It is expensive and you still have to pay all charges yourself and then apply to them to get it reimbursed.

VS
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go to the emergency room the other day in Alex. It only cost me $4 USD, and my prescriptions were just as cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: