Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPETQ, then and now.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetsam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: IPETQ or MOD Reply with quote

Please excuse if this comes across as misinformed or just plain stupid - is there any connection between IPETQ and MOD? I've been 'offered' a position with the latter and having read up on both co.s, am convinced/confused they might just be one and the same! Seriously, are they related? Does anyone know? Or are all schools in Kuwait cut from the same loaf?
I also read that no self-respecting teacher should accept less than 1,000 KD/month. MOD are offering a base of about 850 KD plus housing, more depending on ed & exp...this sounds low according to the experts. But other schools, in UAE, Oman and everywhere outside SA seem to be paying the same or less. So where are these wonderful, high paying schools anyway? And believe me I have realistic expectations.
Updates??
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of many (any?) places paying 1000 KD. And 850 plus benefits sounds a decent package to me.

I don't know if the two companies are related...

VS
Jetsam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: IPETQ or MOD Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know.
Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IPETQ or MOD Reply with quote

Jetsam wrote:
Please excuse if this comes across as misinformed or just plain stupid - is there any connection between IPETQ and MOD?

I also read that no self-respecting teacher should accept less than 1,000 KD/month. MOD are offering a base of about 850 KD plus housing,

IPETQ used to have the MOD contract, but lost it to Qualitas last year. No connection anymore.

I don't know many teachers that are being paid 1000 kd a month, especially at Qualitas and IPETQ. As for the MOD offering a base of 850 plus housing, horse$%^#. Unless you're coming in as a DOS, or maybe a team leader, you're not getting anything close to that!
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPETQ is a private company. It is related to TQLS,

MOD is the Kuwait Ministry of Defence, IPETQ had a contract to supply teaching Staff for the MOD Language School. They may also have had other MOD contracts, I am not sure. I don't believe they have any at present.

Regarding KD 1000, (21,125 GBP @ 568 fils to the 1GBP) Kuwait Airways were offering that, IPETQ/TQLS were offering a package of KD1400 per month. (30000GBP per annum) English language teachers working for the Ministry of Defence and other Defence contractors receive well in excess of KD1000.

With private tuition or evening work who knows how much money you could make.
Is 21428GBP a good salary in the UK these days?
Remember the cost of living is not cheap in Kuwait.
Remember there is blatant discrimination against foreign workers, including Westerners.
All in all Kd 1000 is not that good if that is the total package. It is about right if you have housing transport etc. as a starter salary.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Bilbo wrote:
It is about right if you have housing transport etc. as a starter salary.

This was my thought... especially as we don't know the education/experience level of the OP.

I knew that you would have the facts Fred... Cool

VS
Jetsam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: MOD mystery recruitment criteria Reply with quote

So it turns out their offer was in the ballpark after all. BTW what is an OP, VS? I am somewhat new to this forum so you will kindly appreciate if I am still not up to speed on all of these acronyms. This OP has a MA (curriculum development), CELTA, and about 5 years TESL exp, most of it in the ME, sterling references, blah blah.
Incidentally I just received notice from the headhunter that my application with MOD was unsuccessful - no explanations given. Which doesn't surprise me in the least! but it's disappointing all the same.
JS Embarassed
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably good news that you didn't get it. Cool

Even though you didn't know OP, you knew that it was you... so you guessed from context just like we are always telling our students to do.

OP refers to the original poster of the question.

With your credentials, you should be able to do better than an MOD contract - which seem to often show up here as bad gigs. Apply around at the various universities... oh... and stay away from headhunters unless it is in Saudi Arabia.

VS
Jetsam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification and the consolation VS!
Feeling better now... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: